What happened to Justin Barrett? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

justin took a break from writing a while back, but has started again recently. He sent me his new poems and although they have not been posted on the site, I can tell you that they are very, very good.

Bill

Have been reading poems of his from his site. Someone here recommended him and whoever it was I thank. Very good writer. But has he retired?

justin took a break from writing a while back, but has started again recently.
Sometimes you have to go do something else and wait while the well fills up again. Even Bukowski didn't write every day, didn't write many poems while working on novels, etc.. If you approach writing - poetry especially - like a job that you have to do every day, that starts to comes through in the words. That's my take anyway. Your mileage may vary.

Those people you see on the GPP broadsides, most of them write a lot, and you won't see it all.

justin.barrett has a blog. it might be best
to catch up on his personal stuff there.

http://thispoetslife.blogspot.com/

i have always been a fan of justin.barrett's,
and it was probably me who suggested
him. i'm glad you found him.

no thanks needed, just pass the word.
justin.barrett is among our finest living
poets. really.

- -
Okay
Father Luke

i've just finished reading about 30 poems by this guy and all i can say is WOW!
his poem"Why Bukowski?" sums up in a few short words exactly how i fell about Buk
and "the rape" is one of the best poems i've read in a long time
Why havent i heard about him untill now?
does anyone know where i could get his books?

I know one book, '25 Best Loved Poems of The Future' is available from this place: www.bospress.net

Yes, the other one that I did with him i was a third grade genius... is out of print. I do still have copies of 25 best loved poems of the future, though. There were two other chapbooks which are tough to find. One published by Mystery Island and one published by 12 Gauge Press. Anyone interested in buying these should contact the author as 12 Gauge Press is gone, with Gary Aposhian having passed away and I'm not sure if Mystery Island has any more copies of his book. Then there are a bunch of broadsides of his available in all issues of Bottle from#2 on and finally some broadsides that were selected by the GPP.

Bill

There were two other chapbooks which are tough to find. One published by Mystery Island and one published by 12 Gauge Press. Anyone interested in buying these should contact the author as 12 Gauge Press is gone, with Gary Aposhian having passed away and I'm not sure if Mystery Island has any more copies of his book.
At least one copy of The Magnificent Seven (2004, 12 Gauge Press) is available at the GPP store for a mere 5 bucks.

I was lucky enough to get a copy of I was a Third Grade Genius that is inscribed by the author. I have a copy of Twenty Five Best Loved Poems of the Future which is full of good stuff.

I need to get something from that Cunningham guy, he's worth reading too. Just think how he'd be if he had heard of Justin Barrett.

You mentioned barrett, & Cunningham. Also Dan Fante & Tony O'Neill have/are publishing with this little Irish outifit...

http://tenpointdesign.com/10ptpress/

As to what happened to him...pretty sure his disappearance had something to do with a Trans Am, a suitcase of China White, & Wendover, NV...

You mentioned barrett, & Cunningham. Also Dan Fante & Tony O'Neill have/are publishing with this little Irish outifit...

http://tenpointdesign.com/10ptpress/

As to what happened to him...pretty sure his disappearance had something to do with a Trans Am, a suitcase of China White, & Wendover, NV...

I just got a rare email message from him and it's not a suit case and with gas prices the way they are he's in a Prius.
He is writing again after a small break.

Both are really good. New work landing in nibble, Literary Mary, the buk.net anthology, & more. He's also got quite a few GPP broadsides out as well.

& if the 10pt Press broadside is anything like the one I've seen, it's going to be ready for framing...& judging from the sneak peek, it might even have a naked lady or two on it...

His blog: http://thispoetslife.blogspot.com/

i hear this guy Hosho McCreesh is a damned good poet also.

i've read his broadsides, along with the justin.barrett ones i've distributed since i became a GPP operative, but i really need to get my ass in gear and order one of his books.

could anyone tell me which would be a good book of his to start off with?

could anyone tell me which would be a good book of his to start off with?

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I really appreciate that.

Right now there's only 2 books available, my most recent:
MARCHING UNABASHED INTO THE WEEPING, SEARING SUN... from Bottle of Smoke Press
-and-
FOR ALL THESE WRETCHED, BEAUTIFUL, & INSIGNIFICANT THINGS SO USELESSLY & CARELESSLY DESTROYED... from Sunnyoutside.

And justin.barrett owns them both!

I just received a copy of the limited edition hardcover of McCreesh's MARCHING UNABASHED INTO THE WEEPING, SEARING SUN, and I have to say it's a monster, all the way around. It's fine art housed in fine art conjured up by a couple of insane (the good kind of insane) motherfuckers.

That's a positive review, if I wasn't clear.

How did I get a limited hardcover? Let's just say it pays to have connections, baby!

And, uh, I assume someone preordered and didn't pay. Something like that.

And, uh, I assume someone preordered and didn't pay. Something like that.

Thanks!

Yes I'm sure that it was either a preorder that fell thru or because I try to hold back a couple copies as I always end up having a solid, good customer miss out and I do not want that. I have a few collectors that have a full run and they are taken care of, but otherwise, unless I'm told that you want it, they usually sell out.

Speaking of that. I have a few copies of the Richard Krech hardback available. $23 in the US, $26 outside the US. There were only 26 of these, and I never announced this on my site or e-mails, letting it sell only by word of mouth.

Bill

I have a few copies of the Richard Krech hardback available. $23 in the US, $26 outside the US. There were only 26 of these, and I never announced this on my site or e-mails, letting it sell only by word of mouth.

Within the curtilage is one of my favorite poetry books of 2008.

I just received a copy of the limited edition hardcover of McCreesh's MARCHING UNABASHED INTO THE WEEPING, SEARING SUN, and I have to say it's a monster, all the way around. It's fine art housed in fine art conjured up by a couple of insane (the good kind of insane) motherfuckers.

That's a positive review, if I wasn't clear.

How did I get a limited hardcover? Let's just say it pays to have connections, baby!

Man--I'm really glad to hear you have one! & thanks for the "review."

Honestly--these hardbacks Bill is making are just glorious!

Hail! Hail Bottle of Smoke Press!

Justin.Barrett recently indicated he was on another break from writing. Very sad news but I think he will not stay away for too long. Besides being a great writer he is a very nice person.

I don't think he'd mind me saying anything. Maybe not writing so much as just publishing--subbing less, trying out a few new things.

He's got some exciting, bigger things on his plate right now.

But he's writing, so he'll be back eventually.

not writing poetry. just don't have it in him anymore. one can only write so many wry, little poems.

what he is writing is something far more, and far less. something between the moon and new york city. something unnameable and indefinable.

he was never really any good at the poetry thing, anyway. perhaps this will be his thing. i suppose we'll see.

I recently introduced a friend of mine to justinbarrett.com and he was quite impressed. He said that one poem could be made into a movie short.
I can't wait to read what he writes next.

what he is writing is something far more, and far less. something between the moon and new york city. something unnameable and indefinable.
If you read between the lines here it's pretty obvious that someone is writing a screenplay for a big screen adaptation of Full House.

TMZ says Mary-Kate and Ashley have already signed on, so the pressure on the screenwriter must be enormous.

If you read between the lines here it's pretty obvious that someone is writing a screenplay for a big screen adaptation of Full House.

TMZ says Mary-Kate and Ashley have already signed on, so the pressure on the screenwriter must be enormous.

God damn it, mjp, you ruin everything. The cat's out of the bag. I've got some big revelations in store. A teaser: Cousin Jesse's actually gay. It will be huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back