What's a serigraph? (1 Viewer)

Erik

If u don't know the poetry u don't know Bukowski
Founding member
Check out these items from City Lights: http://citylights.com/CLrare.html
Can anyone tell me what an "original serigraph" is?
(Now why do I get the feeling that the answer might be yes? ;) )
Maybe someone has a copy and can scan a pic og it?

"Original serigraph" sounds like a contradiction in terms to me!
Does the price seem reasonable?
Oh well.

a print made using a stencil process in which an image or design is superimposed on a very fine mesh screen and printing ink is squeegeed onto the printing surface through the area of the screen that is not covered by the stencil

Yeah, if you ever see those Black Sparrow prints they are very blocky, solid colors. You can do very elaborate Serigraphs and screen printing, but these are very basic. Just spot color.

I've done a few silkscreen prints. You can make them as simple or as complex as you like, with one color or many colors (each color printed in a separate run). The trick if you're doing a representational image with more than one color is to get the colors to register correctly. You print the image in layers, building it up one color at a time. I used silkscreen to do the covers on an early chapbook of mine and loved the way it looked. Flat, thick, bold color. Hey, this is making me want to do another one. I've got the old screen and squeegee in the basement. All I need is time...

The prices for the Bukowski books with serigraphs at City Lights seem fair enough to me. Not that I've compared them to any other prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back