• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

When a plan comes together! (1 Viewer)

I suffer from the Bukowski collecting 'disease' - like most people reading this post!

But how good is it when you order something off the internet ... hoping it to be as described ... and it finally arrives ... AND is correct.

Just picked up a nice hardcover first edition of BSP's Ham On Rye. Have found it impossible to find until I came across a listing on amazon.com of all places.

Just had to share my joy with you as I expected it to be at least a much later printing!

Now to find a cheap BSP first edition of Women ...

Just had to share my joy with you as I expected it to be at least a much later printing!

Congratulations PBBUK! I salute you. I think your new acquisition is terrific... the book found the right home. I enjoy seeing people happy with something they truly love. Ham on Rye is one of my favs along with Women and Hot Water Music. I still remember the thrill when they were hot off the presses and I read them for the first time.

I'll settle for a fairly priced BSP hardcover of Women!!

Snapped the Ham On Rye up for US$100 - I think a VERY fair price.

Oh, to be able to have purchased these beautiful books hot off the press ... now that would have been something!!!

I agree. it's fucking crazy what the blacksparrow prices are these days. snatch up them hardcovers if you can. they'll be history soon. 100 is good for a ham on rye first.

I've gotten some crazy good buys on Amazon -- sellers who have no idea what they have. I've done far better buying there than on eBay. Congrats on getting the HAM ON RYE first.

Hi,
I just picked up a 1st/1st of the original 1969 Bukowski Sampler for $120 on ebay. It was listed as "fine". I was overjoyed to "steal" this at such a fair price. When it arrived, it had a circular glass stain that actually rubbed away some of the cover, leaving a deep fissure, had a general grubbiness, water splashing, and had two pretty badly dinged corners. Quite a disappointment. Probably still worth $120, but I knew that it would always bug me that I bought this expecting a "fine" book not with these major faults.

The seller quickly agreed to refund the purchase price, plus refunding postage, so he is a seller of his word, even if the description was a bit lacking.... I sent the book back to him.

Bill

When it arrived, it had a circular glass stain that actually rubbed away some of the cover, leaving a deep fissure, had a general grubbiness, water splashing, and had two pretty badly dinged corners.

Someone used my copy of Justin Barrett's book I was born A child Genius for a coaster. My fault for leaving it out. Now I have to keep it forever, kinda like I was planning. It's just the thought that it's out of print and Justin Barrett sent it to me himself. I may need to get a vault for The Pages Turn to Dust another great work of art.

Speaking of that, I have just released a set of poetry coasters. You can see them in the Specs photos as we fucked up two sets of them pretty nicely with beer. They have 7 poems by 7 poets: justin.barrett, David Barker, Christopher Cunningham, S.A. Griffin, Annie Menebroker, Ross Runfola & A.D. Winans. There are two versions. The regular edition is $5 (This is the one that would be actually used for coasters and the signed edition at $15.

Sorry to be a shilling martyr, but it seemed that the idea of people using poetry for coasters warranted this post.

They can be bought at www.bospress.net.

Best;
Shill, er, I mean Bill

I just picked up a 1st/1st of the original 1969 Bukowski Sampler for $120 on ebay. Probably still worth $120, but I knew that it would always bug me that I bought this expecting a "fine" book not with these major faults.
I was watching that one, but I knew you were after it, so I laid off. Too bad about the condition. It's funny how a photo or a scan can fail to accurately show the condition of a book. I bought a hardcover first of the Paget Barfly off eBay a couple years ago, and I could see that the edges were slightly worn, but I was ready for that, seeing as it was a black cover and hadn't been protected with the plastic it shipped with. But man, when I got it, it was wrecked. Ha. I said to the guy, WTF? And he just responded, "I posted a picture, you could see it!" Bah. I don't trust pictures anymore.

Sorry to be a shilling martyr...
Sorry, you're not even close to that lofty goal.

Sorry, you're not even close to that lofty goal.

Ok. Then I am raising the price of the coasters to $500 for the regular and $1500 for the signed, but I'll drive you around Dover, DE to some of the bars that Bukowski never visited when he was not here in 1974 and again when he was not here in 1980.

Plus, I'll give you a limited edition (limited to 10), custom matted and framed 8x10 photo. The title of the photo is "Bon't Try" by Tommy Gazilllionaire.

Is that better?

Bill

If I were to start selling the Beer (Deer?) stained coasters
on eBay (eDay?), that would be getting close Dill . . . er, Bill . . .

I just picked up a 1st/1st of the original 1969 Bukowski Sampler for $120 on ebay. It was listed as "fine". I was overjoyed to "steal" this at such a fair price. When it arrived, it had a circular glass stain that actually rubbed away some of the cover, leaving a deep fissure, had a general grubbiness, water splashing, and had two pretty badly dinged corners. Quite a disappointment. Probably still worth $120, but I knew that it would always bug me that I bought this expecting a "fine" book not with these major faults.

The seller quickly agreed to refund the purchase price, plus refunding postage, so he is a seller of his word, even if the description was a bit lacking.... I sent the book back to him.

Sounds like I inadvertently drove up the price on this book when I payed $168 back in January or so.;) Still, at least my copy was fine as advertised. Glad to hear you got a refund, Bill.

I don't think so. $168 for a fine copy is fair. That is why I was so happy when I thought that I had bought a fine copy for $120.

If you look on abe, fine copies sell for about $225 discounting, of course, the odd seller that doubles the highest price on all of his books...
If I were to start selling the Beer (Deer?) stained coasters
on eBay (eDay?), that would be getting close Dill . . . er, Bill . . .

Get them while they are hot. Soiled by the drinks of Father Luke (not just Luke!) & Non-Huggy Jordan.

There are only three sets, folks. Price is $333,333.34 USD.
Any Bon't worry, we won't make any more sets. Once I'm done, I want to be a Millionaire.....

I'm approaching the shameless mark, maybe?

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back