When did you discover Bukowski? (4 Viewers)

last year a friend was reading something i wrote and told me it reminded him of bukowski, who i had never heard of.. so off i went to the library & i took out run with the hunted. I fell madly, intensely inlove with this book and chuck

it was like everything i'd ever wished for in any form of art, i still have alot to read but i'm recommending him every chance i get if i think someone might benefit from his writing :o

(also i am a big drinker so i felt an affinity to him & the situations -The Life of a Bum (sounded like any old monday a couple years ago)

He wasn't called Charles either...:) ...usually he was called Hank or Buk...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

Been lurking for a while really like the place this is a good place to start. ..

I lived in Hollywood for a short time..quite an eye opener to a young North Shore Long Island girl. You know how it goes friends moving, young, nothing going on except experiences to experience. The place was Hell, it was my Hell I wasn't working so I had a lot of time to get to know the locals. Ironically I had never heard of Buk until I came (maybe ran) home and was sharing some of my stories to a friend who said "Did you ever read Bukowski?" I said no he recommended "Women" I was immediately hooked and have been going through "Buk" phases for the past fifteen years. Sometimes I can almost smell the Boulevard when I read his books. Lessons taught in the strangest of places.

Last edited by a moderator:
Women.

A few months later I started a relationship with a woman, I hided the novel for her...but the book helped me somewhat in sexual way...

Good drawing Linda king ;)

discovering Bukowski

It was in the late eighties, and I had just quit a job waiting tables in a small beachside restaurant in NH. A friend that I had been sleeping with told me that she had just invited her 'boyfriend 'to come to the US from Belgrade, and would I mind driving them to New Orleans, as they (actually all) of us were poor. I had an old LeMans, and agreed to drive them, as long as I could remain in the backseat the entire trip. One morning we had stopped somewhere (Virginia maybe) and I was drinking a bottle of Ouzo at someone's breakfast table, trying to pull things together, when this guy from Belgrade looked at me and commented about my "bukowski" like behaviors. I pressed for a bit of info, then forgot about him for a while. A couple of months later, I found a used copy of Factotum in a bookstore in New Orleans, and read it 3 or 4 times over the course of a day. I lost that book. Eventually I left New Orleans, and made it back to Knoxville, where a girl I met at a country bar and I had a conversation about Raymond Carver, and I remembered Buk and proceeded to buy everything available. Since then I have filled my shelves.

Barfly...

I have watched it countless times. But it took watching Factotum to get me to actually purchase any of his books. Now, in adition to my Barfly addiction, I have obtained a new vice.

I have the most post-modern of all tale - what a cunt i am for that!

I was on Yahoo chat maybe 7 or 8 years ago and this guy called Matt, who wrote great poetry, typed me out the poem 'For jane' and I loved some of the lines on it:

'the nights of love still make shadows'

'the tiger is the same for all of us'

'165 days under grass
and you know more than me'

they struck out like truth I suppose
with a clarity I liked.

I went out and bought
'What matters most is how well you walk through the fire'

I have read him since, discovered him more, now he is my grandfather
and i kind of resent him for his alcoholism and the way he treated my mother and the way he knew how to cut through the bullshit on the page, but no in reality.

lonely old courage teacher

my dear boy, (hobart as he is known to many of you) decided it was time to send me something in the mail. he sent me a cd of buk reading some of his own work. i listened to it on the way to illinois one weekend and immediately began to blush. i shied away for a bit, unaccustomed to the crassness. but recently i have been drawn back to him (mostly the poetry and movies...i have yet to read a novel) and now here i am...learning and growing and loving him more every day.

I first came across Buk in High Times magazine around 1980 or so. He had a monthly Dirty Old Man "column". I wasn't of the mind or in the mood to read these short stories by some old dude who drank booze and basically wrote zero about pot & acid. I wanted to read about exotic pot and getting wasted.

I skimmed the stories, but that's all. I didn't care.

Years later, after I was turned onto Buk, I found those High Times stories and enjoyed them very much. They were sort of fantasy oriented. Fun. Light.

Eric G., creator of the World Suicide Club, told me about Buk in 1988 and lent me his copy of Post Office. I was hooked from the start and laughed many times. I enjoyed the voice on the page. For me, it's always the voice. And there are so very few I enjoy!

The first Buk book I bought was Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame. (Fourteenth Printing, 1988, Santa Rosa.) I bought it at Tower Books in Mountain View, California.

I didn't have any favourite poets before Buk. Had some favourite lyricists, but hadn't found any poets to champion. Besides Buk, I still haven't. I don't care for the work of any of his contempories or associates or friends. I don't even bother looking anymore. Don't care. Don't need it. I have not eaten all of the original Bukowski cookies. I have saved some pleasure for the years to come. I have yet to read Play the Piano..., Dangling..., and War All the Time.

I remain the you-know-what in the you-know-where.;)

One boring day in 1984, while in Yugoslavian Military someone left "Women" and "Tales of Ordinary Madness" on one of the cots. First pages of "Women" really shocked me, because I never had read anything honest and blunt like that before. I've been hooked ever-since.

Few years later I did move to to US, and the first books (even I couldn't speak english) I ordered from the bookstore were those two books that changed my life.
Hi! was married to Lovat thirty years ago. He lived behind a cloud of smoke and a pile of books. I was running around the house with a newborn baby.I blamed Bukowski for keeping my husband distant. Lovat was also a writer .He adored Buk and Celine. Lovat passed away in 2000 and left us a truckload of books and I have been reading most of his books along with my son and I just can relate to his way of thinking. Only now I regret not having shared Bukowski with Lovat.I am a painter and now I always quote Bukowski somewhere on the canvas. To me he is a buddy.

I discovered some www page about Roland Topor (French writer). I always like Topor, so when I saw banner to www about Bukowski i though that Topor and Bukowski must be similar writers. What a mistake! I ran to the libary at my school and borrow Hot water music. I just can't read this. It was so different than Topor's writing. I put Hot water music near my bed and forget about it. After week, when i read everything in house i found Bukowski's book again. I started read again, and man, IT WAS AMAZING. I read stories after stories and i wanna more! Since this time, Bukowski its my favorite writer. Ever.

About eight years ago while at college I saw a pretty girl reading Tales of Ordinary Madness and I liked the photograph of Bukowski on the cover, so I got a copy. I didn't much care for the stories. Now and then a brilliant line would shine through, but overall I was unimpressed. Those few lines, however, had me by the balls, you know? It made me interested enough to go to the library and read some of his poems. It didn't take more than a month before I had devoured all of his poems from the 60s and 70s. So, my encounter with Bukowski was fortuitous, and actually was one of the better accidents of my life, "for whatever marks an epoch in it came my way by accident."

Kierkegaard said something like:

'Once you have read and understood my book - throw it away'

I'm not sure what book he was refering too
but i like the sentiment.

Use my book as a ladder,
climb up it,
then throw the ladder away
and strike out anew!

I was visiting a friend outside Detroit in '85. He'd taken a job with GM, but there were already signs of trouble. Labor unrest, layoffs, closures. He had this apartment, which was nice and clean, but there wasn't any art on the walls, and he had only purchased a few sticks of furniture, making it look as if he could move out at a moment's notice. We'd gone out drinking the night before at a blues bar called the Soup Kitchen (probably gone by now). And the next morning I dragged my hangover into the bathroom and sat down on the can, without realizing there was no T.P. So I hollered until my buddy woke up and offered to drive the few blocks to a convenience mart and buy some. Before he left, he opened the bathroom door a crack and tossed a book in at me. It was Bukowski's Women. "This should keep you busy," he said. I was hooked. Never had a chance.

-Charlie

A Norwegian director filmed Factotum, but i never saw it until this winter, everything happend so fast, i've read a couple of books and some poems and shit. I went to Berlin last week and lived like him in a way, drinking and smoking, no fucking, but still, i do envy the ones with that lifestyle.

Have you guys ever tried writing while being drunk? It's shit, it's hard, how did he do it?

When I was 18 in Gainesville - 15 years back - an old anarchist friend of Harry Crew's recommended 2 books he thought I'd like: C. McCarthy's BLOOD MERIDIAN and Buk's THE DAYS RUN AWAY LIKE WILD HORSES OVER THE HILL.
And I never said Thanks...

In 8th grade I started to get heavily into reading. At the bookstore I always looked the one thing that would attract to my senses at the time. I noticed Bukowski, and picked up Post Office first and I haven't stopped since.

Can't exactly remember, although seeing Barfly may have been it. Chinaski got me thinking "brilliant. a sane madman" and after learning that the movie was loosely based on someone living rather than being a purely fictional character it went from there

I spent a lot of time at the big library downtown, checking stuff out and reading whatever held my interest. I worked through the Vonnegut section, just grabbing whatever names other authors references or stuff I had heard about, Satre, Huxley, Bellow, Roth, anything. My friend mentioned Bukowski and "Post Office" and his review was vague, along the lines of "It's really fucked up."

I read it but it didn't grab me that much the first time. I guess since it was okay I eventually checked out Women. Wow! That was the one. First the subject matter easily held my attention, also the narrator is behaving insanely and often making very poor decisions -- he acknowledges he is aware of this but doesn't spend a lot of time on it, just goes.

I've read most of his books a few times now and ordered Women as a birthday present for a friend who I knew would love it. It's occured to me to order it for some of my psychotic ex-girlfriends, one in particular, but I don't like the idea of giving her anything, or sharing something I like with her, so that's that.

i was told that i wrote like him...so i looked into it and realized that whoever thought that was a complete idiot

from then on though i've been a fan

While you burn fiercely in the hinterlands, could you explain what you stand for?

.. i never quite got it, then again, fuck objective interpretation.
Gimme your subject.

greetings.
Quote:
Some say I love my pain.

yes, I love it so much I'd like to give it to you
wrapped in a red ribbon
you can have it
you can have it all.
I'll never miss it.

I'm working on getting rid of it, believe me.

I might jam it into your mailbox
or throw it on the back seat of your car

Buk

(What matters most is how well you walk trhough the fire)

I first discovered Bukowski through a German skateboarding video titled The Strongest of the Stange that contains Bukowski's reading of Genius of the Crowd from 70 Minutes in Hell. I was intrigued by his writing so I tricked my parents into buying me a copy of Sifting Through the Madness. I read Sifting in a week and then bought Mockingbird Wish Me Luck and The Days Run Away. I have also brought Burning In Water Drowning in Flame on a church bike trip which felt really dirty because I read it to myself alone in a church at 7 am.
I am now planning on buying Run With the Hunted and/or 70 Minutes in Hell in preparation for a Charles Bukowski poetry gathering. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back