where the wild things are (1 Viewer)

hoochmonkey9

Art should be its own hammer.
Reaper Crew
Founding member
Wild Things.jpg

2 very big thumbs up from a 5 1/2 year old and an almost 41 year old.

the only concern I had going in was the music. looking at the soundtrack, it seemed like hipster vanity, but it really worked. the music was grand and sweeping and slightly dark, but maintained a large feeling of what it's like to bit a kid who's slightly lost in his own head. just like the book and movie.

Sam's usually right. although he hated Synecdoche, New York, which I loved. he said it was pretentious hipster crap.

I really wish my son would stop calling me a pretentious hipster.

I won't watch it because children's films now bore me (I believe my former taste for them will come back when I'll have kids), but the book was great, it seems to cross the decades without ageing, I still see it in bookstores.

he said it was pretentious hipster crap.
A 5 1/2 year old kid calling a film "pretentious hipster crap" ? Wow. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The soundtrack is awesome. Maybe it's only because I like the Yeah Yeah Yeah's and Karen O so much, but I was listening to the soundtrack all weekend. Now, I gotta go see the movie.

it's not a children's film.

On the contrary, I think it could go both ways. (Like a bi-sexual...)

Saw this with my 6 (almost 7! wannaseepicturesofmykidswannaseepicturesofmykids?!?!?) year old brother. It made me cry, and he was laughing at me. I think the film is meant to touch on sentiment for adults, and bring something classic back to life for the kids. Big thumbs up from me as well as J (6.9 year old).

I read Dave Eggers' novel and my GOD was it depressing. I don't think I was that depressed at the end of Ham on Rye... Very well written, very good book, but... DAMN.

Which novel?

Eggers is a talented writer, but for some reason I see his name dragged around a lot. I really have no idea why. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius was a good book and probably had the best title of any book this decade.

chronic, it was The Wild Things. It made me want to see the film. And kill myself. So, a twofer.

I did read Zeitoun as well this year and it was spectacular. And frightening.

Some day, I'll get thru the rest of his stuff, I hope.

I saw this, felt like I took a trip to Crazy. It wasn't at all what I expected and left thinking 'hmm... Max needs some serious mood elevators and so do all the voices in his head' but I guess when you take symbolism and put in into moving pictures (rather than purely descriptive) it has to be dark and honest, which can be... irksome and a little scary. I have to watch this again, but don't feel I am ready for it just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back