Which Bukowski do you like more? (1 Viewer)

Which bukowski do you like more ?

-bukowski senior,?

-bukowski, the middle-aged man ?

-the young, struggling bukowski , ?

what part of his work do you like more ?

I've only read his novels, apart from Pulp. I like them all. Bukowski was middle aged when he wrote Post Office wasn't he? I suppose I would glean a better understanding of his periods from his poetry. I have The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills and Last Night of the Earth Poems. I need more Buk poetry.

I'm a big fan of the middle aged man, not exactly struggling, but finally figuring it all out. My favorite poetry collections are Love is a dog from hell and War all the time, so I guess 70's to early 80's. I don't have too much experience with really early buk poetry, but regarding late buk, I do still enjoy the poetry out of septuagenarian stew and Last night of the earth poems

what he said
the period from 1962-72 is untouchable. As good as poetry gets.
... Mockingbird Wish Me Luck! .. also there was a wonderful string of scans posted not long ago herr in the forum by somebody who's name I cant remember now, from lit mags, many of which from that period. Many of which as good as poetry gets.

edit: it was @days - in the 'uncollected' section of this here forum.

I like all versions... really, it's hard to choose. Each is a little different but still has a lot to offer. Hard choice... Forced to choose, I go with Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame because it was the first book of his I read. Tragedy of the Leaves is a good little poem and I've been hooked ever since. So, I guess that's early Buk. But whatever. It's all good in its way.

The Tragedy of the Leaves is early - '59 or '60 - but Burning in Water... also contains material from '72 and '73 which is more mid-period. I'd make a case for his early period being up through The Days Run Away... But one could break his poems down into more than three subdivisions if one were interested in doing so.

I'm a big fan of the middle aged man, not exactly struggling, but finally figuring it all out. My favorite poetry collections are Love is a dog from hell and War all the time, so I guess 70's to early 80's. I don't have too much experience with really early buk poetry, but regarding late buk, I do still enjoy the poetry out of septuagenarian stew and Last night of the earth poems
I'll lend you the early stuff, cause i know youve read the mid to later collections already.

Very hard to choose, they all had their individual strengths but I think the best stuff he wrote was while doing it tough financially. Once he had a couple of bucks the rawness softened but then his later stuff was often quite humorous and insightful. In saying that, it's all brilliant!

Well, I have two of his poetry books like I said, I've dipped into them, I'm still sort of learning how to read them, haha. I'm still trying to get my head around poetry.
Dinosauria, We... I hope it doesn't come true! Well if it does come to pass the Sun will be sitting there, awaiting the next chapter. A glimmer of hope after some terrifying imagery. Like Bukowski said "serious fucking shit".

I mentioned this to Ski earlier today. I think Last Night of the Earth Poems is one of my favorites, even though it is senior period. I think it's a comeback book after a couple of very average Bukowski books. Then again, I don't know that all those poems were written during his senior period.

ya I mean if you cant read poetry, theres no shame there. we've all been force fed crap poems on the radio since the radio was invented. but if you cant quite read the poetry, listen to his readings like the clip you posted or the whole Born Into This video/dvd. Either way, as a wise man once said, if you don't know the poems, you don't know Bukowski.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back