Who's the poet/editor Bukowski refers to in "Notes..." (2 Viewers)

on page 196/197 of notes of a dirty old man bukowski quotes a letter from who he says is a poet and editor friend of his who lives in london, does anyone know who this poet is?

I'm pretty sure it's Norse, but can't be positive. the Bukowski/Norse letters were slated for release a few years back, but were quashed.

but I would put money on Norse.

I read it on some big article somewhere. Something about Harold wanting to release their letters to the public to make a comeback and getting rejected. And judging by your post count and the confidence in your digital sneer, I'd say you're respected here, but I don't know you so I don't really care about any of that other stuff.

Maybe... but I'm stealing 'digital sneer'. I like it.

By the way - mjp is the owner, manager, janitor, coat-check boy and all-powerful, evil overlord of this here Bukowski.net.

i.e. nobody respects him. ;)

Digital sneers - yeah, that sounds like a teenager. Sure.

Let me get out my crystal ball...I see tragedy in the future...a crash and burn...

Probably so, but some teenage moxie here may not be so bad. Doesn't seem to have a personal agenda and joined here because he likes what he's read of Buk so far. Do need to help him change that unfortunate user name, though.

It is Harold Norse.

Although there won't be any proof like Bukowski writing somewhere: "you know, in that one Notes-column about the guy in London, that's Harold Norse." At least not in the published works and letters as of yet.

But it's interesting because Bukowski packs some people in a lot of poems and stories (and sometimes even novels) without naming them, of course. It's almost like a sort of code. It's possible to figure it out and even to follow the ups and downs of certain relationships through his work. It's funny.

Exactly, I always find myself doing that , trying to play the matching game with names or books. Sometimes he changes the names just a bit, and sometimes he keeps it the same. Like in Portions from a Wine-Stained Notebook he refers to John Fante as John Bante. That's a nice obvious one. But in that same passage he refers to a book by Fante titled Sporting Times? Yeah? which I have no clue what that one refers to, since there are none with a similar title. Ask the Dustpossibly?

And well I guess I should start respecting MJP, now that Faulkner's Dick says so. I got a crystal ball laying around here somewhere if you want to put it to good use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back