Women, and blogs and relevance (1 Viewer)

antidepressants started in the '50s.

but the welfare thing sounds right.

EDIT: just did a quick google search, and ATD was a fund for the 'totally disabled' in California during the '60s and '70s. I don't think that's it.

I always read it as government assistance too. We had a program in michigan at the time called ADC.

ATD was a fund for the 'totally disabled' in California during the '60s and '70s. I don't think that's it.
You'd be surprised how many people in California are "totally disabled." And it was probably easier to qualify 30+ years ago than it is now.

I searched buk.net, and it's not the first time someone has wondered what ATD is.

I reread the relevant passages in Women, and the welfare angle makes more sense, but ATD was a popular term for antidepressants.

apparently, this is the most important question asked of me lately, because I have an....

UPDATE!!!!:

from this article:

Indeed, at the end of the 1960s, California and New York, moving rapidly toward an emphasis on community care, began to use the federal-state welfare program Aid to the Disabled (ATD, 1950-1974) to support indigent alcoholics and addicts in local settings much as it provided a non-institutional subsistence to poor persons with severe mental illness.

so, I'm now almost positive it relates to welfare.

thank you very much.

heh.

Yes, you've got it there. I had wondered about this term and I didn't think it was related to the "disabled" in the contexts Bukowski uses it.

Good work, Hooch! The Danish translation of Women translate ADT into 'disability pension' which supports your findings.
I too used to think it meant anti-depressants. Another little mystery solved.

I have found the line in the french version: "April était grosse et sous ATD". I guess that when I read the book, I too believed it was a drug or a medicine. It's quite strange that the translator didn't touch to this acronym, which no French reader can understand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back