• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

SCARLET: AREN'T YOU GOING TO KISS ME GOODBYE? (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
Here's something a little off the wall.

I bought this weird thing on the possibility that the "Hank" signature on the cover might be original, and that he put the booklet together himself. I'm now told this was put together not by Bukowski, but by Red at Baroque books as a sample of a larger collection, which he sent to dealers trying to drum up a possible sale.

Pamela Brandes (a.k.a. Pamela Miller, "Cupcakes," "Scarlet") sold a collection of letters and poems to Red that Bukowski had written to her, and that's where this sample comes from. That's the story I heard, anyway. I'm trying to get confirmation from Pamela.

These are all color copies. No big deal, but I haven't seen these elsewhere (actually, I just checked and the poem is in Love is a Dog From Hell).

Anyway, here it is:

scarlet01.jpg scarlet02.jpg scarlet03.jpg scarlet04.jpg scarlet05.jpg

It was on eBay a few months ago. The seller dragged his feet every step of the way and made the transaction a nightmare, but did finally come through.

I paid too much for what this is, but it was a gamble, since the seller claimed to know nothing about it. I don't believe that now, but it's a moot point.

mjp said:
Pamela Brandes (a.k.a. Pamela Miller, "Cupcakes," "Scarlet") sold a collection of letters and poems to Red that Bukowski had written to her, and that's where this sample comes from.
Correction, I received an email form Pamela saying that her correspondence with Bukowski, as well as some of his paintings, were stolen from her in 1982. Ouch.

I wonder where they ended up?

[...] I wonder where they ended up?
We all do.
Amongst the legacy of MM were color-copies of them but not the originals.
So it looks like he didn't own them himself, but knew who did. Red comes to mind, but this is only a guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back