All the Wild Thoughts: The Correspondence of Jack Kerouac and Ed White from BoSP (2 Viewers)

bospress.net

www.bospress.net
It took a while to finalize all the details, but here they are. We are currently printing the prospectus (letterpress printed in 4 colors.) I'll gladly send one to anyone interested, just email me at [email protected]. Anyone ordering a deluxe copy will already get one in their clamshell. We are going all out on this one. Even the prospectus will be amazing. Just wait to see the book...

Please visit www.bospress.net/kerouac.html for more info or to order.

wildthoughts.jpg

Bill

Attachments

• wildthoughts.pdf
    309.8 KB · Views: 371
Good question, Jan.

It is possible, under the BoSP imprint or under another press. The plan always was to have a major publisher pick this up and reissue it. Hard to say if it'll happen. I have one-time rights, so I'd have to renegotiate terms for a paperback edition, but it is a possibility.

And I should make a statement somewhere that will get picked up by Google since I cannot post this on the bn.com website.... They are listing both editions of the book at 32% off. I asked them a month ago to remove the discount, or remove the listing as I will NEVER sell them one copy at any discount. I certainly am not willing to take a 32% discount from list, then give them a 55% discount on top of that. I am not willing to lose that much money on each book. Since they seem unwilling to reply to my requests, anyone that orders from them will be sorely disappointed when they are told, after the edition is sold out, that bn was not able to fulfill their order. They were warned that this would happen, but are being pigheaded.

Bill

So Barnes & Noble, Barnes and Noble and bn.com will not be able to fill orders for All the Wild Thoughts: The Correspondence of Jack Kerouac and Ed White, is that what you're saying?

That anyone who is unfortunate enough to order from Barnes & Noble, Barnes and Noble or bn.com will be disappointed and despondent?

In a nutshell you're saying that any Jack Kerouac fan who wants a copy of the book All the Wild Thoughts: The Correspondence of Jack Kerouac and Ed White, had better order it from the Bottle of Smoke Press web site at http://www.bospress.net/kerouac.html, and not from Barnes & Noble, Barnes and Noble or bn.com - got it.

Oh, I just wanted to reiterate, you know. The bit about not ordering All the Wild Thoughts: The Correspondence of Jack Kerouac and Ed White, from Barnes & Noble, Barnes and Noble or bn.com, and instead ordering it direct from the Bottle of Smoke Press web site athttp://www.bospress.net/kerouac.html. You know, so as not to lose out on this book. Just to be clear. And to reiterate and all that.

[...] The Correspondence of Jack Kerouac and Ed White [...] direct from the Bottle of Smoke Press web site athttp://www.bospress.net/kerouac.html. [...]

So, mjp, what you meant is, that people who order the book 'The Correspondence of Jack Kerouac and Ed White' from Any Other source than http://www.bospress.net/kerouac.html will not be able to get a copy and should always post there orders at http://www.bospress.net/kerouac.html and not anywhere else? Is that what you've been trying to say in you previous posts? Basically?

I'm confused... Why can't we all just let the huge corporate conglomerates screw us more? This is starting to feel like some kind of political issue. I'm gonna go watch Fox News so I'll know how to feel about only ordering a BoSP Kerouac book from http://www.bospress.net/kerouac.html.

I just got a reply from them after sending a second email (after a month with no reply from the first email.) the reply was straight-up bullshit canned reply, probably from India, and did not address any of my concerns. More of a "fuck you" than anything, really.

I then called customer service. They could not help. They gave me the number to "Publisher Services". I called "Publisher Services" and they have a nice menu that takes you to more canned info that you could have already have read about on the FAQ no human beings there willing to pick up the phone. I then called Corporate Headquarters and a very nice lady took my info. Hopefully someone calls me back.

What really gets me is that if you do a Google search, the top two hits are BN (advertising a book that they cannot sell, far below what I am willing to sell for), then the 3rd hit is for the PDF prospectus, then there are two reviews telling people to not buy it. My website (the only place besides Water Row Books) is not even listed to the second (and, by the way LAST) page.

...reviews telling people to not buy it...

Wow[!] Have you upset these people somehow? I see K. Ring has stated that the letters were previously available in The Missouri Review. Looks like that mag had 15 letters in a 1994 edition. I'm guessing that the new book is more comprehensive?

To the last point first: My version is greatly expanded. GREATLY. I could certainly do this same book and price it out at $15, but would have to have it be a paperback, glued spine, printed in china. That was not the route that we decided on. Others may publish it later in a mass market edition and that is fine. Buying the magazine in question will not get you anything close to the same content.

As to the first point: I think that he was just speaking his mind. The review was written before I announced the book and only rumors were floating about and he seems to have his ear to the ground and heard about it, but did not get all the details (like it being 150 pages, all printed letterpress in 2 colors), hardbound, clamshell, printing plate, photographs, etc, etc, etc.)

For what it's worth, I don't get any Barnes & Noble results from Google, or any negative reviews.

I see.

Well in that case, let me reiterate - "all the wild thoughts" Kerouac.

Though, yes, I suspect it will be difficult to oust Barnes & Noble from those spots, unless you get them to remove the listing.

who is the asshole running that beat scene facebook page? profiteering, really?? if he/she had any sense of the amount of effort and time going into producing this book, it would be pretty clear that nothing about this book is making anyone a profit, but no, i guess it is just easier to assume the worst in everyone and to criticize labors of love sight unseen.

Profiteering? You mean like the University of California Press, or New Directions, or Shearsman Books, or Fantagraphics, or Third Mind Books...?

amazing to talk about profiting off of kerouac's name when YOU PUBLISH A MAGAZINE WITH HIS FACE ON THE COVER. and crow and crow about how the printed word is superior to anything online. okay, so in beat scene's opinion, the printed word is superior, but only so long as it is printed cheaply on shitty paper and bound by staples that will rust and fall apart over time. okay got it. it makes my fucking blood boil when people assume that a book is a rip-off because it is expensive. this has happened a bunch of times, and it's always the same tired argumentation about how books are for the common people, man! gimme a break.

is the prospectus still available, bill? if so, i'd like one!
(still catching up on everything I've missed the past year or so...)

who is the asshole running that beat scene facebook page? profiteering, really?? if he/she had any sense of the amount of effort and time going into producing this book, it would be pretty clear that nothing about this book is making anyone a profit, but no, i guess it is just easier to assume the worst in everyone and to criticize labors of love sight unseen.

In fairness, they're based in Coventry, so anything that isn't made of concrete seems like a bourgeois fancy.

During the war I think it was the only place where both sides dropped their bombs.

I'll send the next batch of prospectuses out in a week or so. I'm waiting for a new ribbon for my Smith Corona Coronet 12 and want to make these old-school....

Bill

Raoul Deleo drove from New York to San Francisco while drawing his feelings and findings on one scroll of paper which he carried with him in a drawing box. The trip followed roughly the same route as described by Jack Kerouac in his book 'On the Road' (1957). Deleo produced a 30 meter scroll filled with drawings. All of them were published together with a text by writer Auke Hulst in the book entitled "De Eenzame Snelweg" (The Lonely Road)

Eenzame_snelweg-selectie_44.jpg

Eenzame_snelweg-selectie_48.jpg

raouldeleo.jpg

The Kerouac project is not going to be published by Bottle of Smoke Press. In the end, we were not able to generate enough interest in the book to cover the massive upfront costs to do the book the way that we wanted to do it. I will contact anyone who has prepaid for a copy to refund their money.

Thanks,
Bill

Going out of pocket without initial interest is the kind of thing that destroys a press...so kudos for a tough decision. I, for one, can always find more great BoSP books to get instead!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back