Am I really *that* old? Take the quiz yourself! (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
There are 132 bands playing at this year's 3 day Coachella music festival here in California. I have heard of (not heard, just heard of) only 21 of those 132 bands. I have heard the actual music of 8 of the 132 bands.

It occurs to me that it has probably been 15 years since I knew who most of the bands were, and 25 years since I knew who every band was, everywhere. At that rate, in 10 years I won't know who any of the bands are, anywhere.

Are they still called bands? I know they don't say "album" anymore, though a CD is still an album of songs. Maybe bands are called something else now that I'm unaware of.

Autolux
American Bang
Aesop Rock
AkronFamily
Aphex Twin
Adam Freeland
AUSTIN TV
Above & Beyond
Architecture in Helsinki
Annuals
Animal Collective
Battles
Booka Shade
Busy P
Boys Noize
Black Mountain
Brett Dennen
Black Kids
Bonde Do Role
Black Lips
Chromeo
Calvin Harris
Curses!
Cut Copy
Cafe Tacvba
Cinematic Orchestra
CarbonSilicon
Cold War Kids
Dan Deacon
Duffy
Dwight Yoakam
Datarock
Does it Offend You, Yeah?
Danny Tenaglia
Diplo
Death Cab for Cutie
Dredg
Dimitri from Paris
DeVotchKa
Deadmau5
Electric Touch
Enter Shikari
Erol Alkan
Fatboy Slim
Flogging Molly
Gogol Bordello
Goldfrapp
Grand Ole Party
Hot Chip
Holy F*ck
I'm from Barcelona
Islands
John Butler Trio
Jack Johnson
Jupiter's Ring
Jesse Murphy
Junkie XL
Justice
James Zabiela
Jens Lekman
Kid Sister with A-Trak
Kraftwerk
Kavinsky
Kate Nash
Little Brother
Les Savy Fav
Luckyiam
Love and Rockets
Linton Kwesi Johnson
Minus the Bear
MGMT
Midnight Juggernauts
Manchester Orchestra
M.I.A.
Murs
Mark Ronson
Metric
Modeselektor
Man Man
My Morning Jacket
Mum
Orgasmic
Perry Farrell
Professor Murder
Prince
Para One
Plasticines
Pendulum
Porter
Portishead
Rogue Wave
Rilo Kiley
Roger Waters
Redd Kross
St. Vincent
Sasha & John Digweed
Sia
Serj Tankian
Stars
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks
Sandra Collins
Slightly Stoopid
Simian Mobile Disco
Scars on Broadway
Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
Shout Out Louds
Surkin
SebastiAn
Swervedriver
Spank Rock
Spiritualized
Sons & Daughters
Santogold
Tegan and Sara
Uffie featuring DJ Mehdi
Vas DeFrans
VHS or Beta
Vampire Weekend
Yelle
Yoav
Yo! Majesty
dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip
the National
the Verve
the Raconteurs
the Bird and the Bee
the Breeders
the Teenagers
the Cool Kids
the Swell Season
the Field
120 Days

I only recognize 13 of the names, and most of those have been around for a while.

Now that we're entering our twilight years... let's talk aches, pains and bowel movements.

mjp, you prick! I still feel like I'm younger than my kids in my head. Although I might recognize some of their music,since I'm one of those old fuckers who listens KROQ. Like that will keep me young.

Happy 420! In the old folks home.
btw Prick is a compliment. I was just told The Eagles are going to be there. I'm so sick of The Eagles.
There is no beautiful rose without a prick.

i shouldn't worry, mjp, i have only heard of 3 of those bands, and i'm a lot younger than you are. :p

i've never kept abreast of what was current. where do you find the energy? in my early 20's i was listening to ma rainey and bessie smith...

I've heard of most of those and have music by many, but that's only because I'm afraid of ageing and dying and keeping up on music keeps away the black, gaping abyss.
I'm only partly kidding.
I just love music, all kinds of music (except German opera and "new" country). I spend a large amount of my income on cds and lps. as well as books. and hooch.
I like spotting new bands influences. "o, they sound like the members of the Cure and New Order and Broken Social Scene playing a speeded up Smiths song!" I said that about one of the bands on that list, "it make me feel clever! you can see why I don't have many friends.....
but I do find it very cool that Dwight Yoakam is in that lineup.

mjp,

If you have the opportunity... go to a show of My Morning Jacket. I've seen them playing in Boston and in Amsterdam, both shows in 2002 or 2003. I find them one of the best current live bands.

If you have the opportunity... go to a show of My Morning Jacket.
They would have to do a show in my living room. I don't really go out to things like concerts (or whatever they are called now ;)) anymore.

if PJ Harvey or Bunny Wailer or Regina Spektor was playing a 100 seat house in town and I could just pay a lot of money to go see them without thousands of other people, I would do that. Last shows I saw were Joe Frank (tiny venue) and fucking Prairie Home Companion (outdoor amphitheater, ugh), which aren't even really music shows, just weird hybrids of music and talk.

So it only takes 34 years to go from the New York Dolls to the Prairie Home Companion. That must be some kind of musical Bell Curve they don't tell you about when you're 20 (or probably they do tell you about it, but you know everything already, so you aren't listening). Ha.

Watched the movie Juno last night which was good looking, funny, well made, and utterly unbelievable. A 16 year old girl whose favorite bands are the Stooges, Patti Smith and the Runaways? It was a little bit (okay, a lot) like watching a teenager imitate Janeane Garofalo. The opening credits should win some kind of award though.

New broom sweep clean, but old broom know every corner!

Sorry, I forgot that My Morning Jacket is more popular now. 7 or 8 years ago they played in Boston for about 100 or 150 people and in Amsterdam maybe for 300 people.

i can't believe there's a band called "professor murder". or "love and rockets". what's next, a band called "hot water music?"

mjp: I recognized 8 of them, and I'm four years younger than you. Of course, I pretty much stopped listening to commerical rock radio in about 1981 after hearing the pre-come of the musical debacle that was the 1980s.

autolux and the breeders are awesome. and i concur on my morning jacket. actually, re-reading the list alot of those bands are good. but what do i know. abbey road hasn't left my turntable for days....:D

Recognised 4.
Actually heard 3.
38 years old.
But like theonlygoodpoetisa, I grew up on Nat Cole and John Coltrane.

Heard of:
Aphex Twin
Death Cab for Cutie
Kraftwerk
Love and Rockets
M.I.A.
Redd Kross
Swervedriver
Spiritualized
the Verve

Heard:
Dwight Yoakam
the Breeders
Fatboy Slim
Perry Farrell
Prince
Portishead
Roger Waters

The last years you read about "them' because it's hard to avoid words on paper.
Where are my ear plugs?

[This video is unavailable.]

They would have to do a show in my living room. I don't really go out to things like concerts (or whatever they are called now ;)) anymore.

I was about to agree with you, then realized I had tickets for 3 shows sitting on my desk. Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Feist.

Cohen is playing a small venue, though. 1000 seats. sold out 5 nights in an afternoon.

Dylan and Feist are in a 10,000 seat venue. my wife really wanted to see Feist, so I'm going also.

but usually I'm a sit at home with headphones kind of guy. crowds bug me.
maybe when I'm as OLD as mjp, I'll be a permanent stay at home with headphones kind of guy.;)

If it mkes you feel any better Carbon Silicon is that Mick Jones (yes of Clash) and some guy from Gen X and it's really really I mean really F'ing awful.
I've seen three on the list
Prince
Jack Johnson
Roger Waters-but I was a concert pig
the only time I saw the Clash was without Jones who was doing that BAD stuff that was just that but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than this new stuff.
The rumour is they are paying Prince 4 million for the night since the line up is so lame.
This actually says something about the promoters though I'm not sure what.
I really can't see Prince fans lining up to use the porta potties-Hope for rain.

I've heard of a number of them, didn't count. But if there's one band on that list that I REALLY want to hear, it's a band that has the nuts to call themselves Holy Fuck

mjp,

If you have the opportunity... go to a show of My Morning Jacket. I've seen them playing in Boston and in Amsterdam, both shows in 2002 or 2003. I find them one of the best current live bands.

new My Morning Jacket song here.

I think M Ward opened a few shows for My Morning Jacket a 3-4 years ago, and Ward was definitely better. Ward's The Transfiguration of Vincent is one of the best records in recent years, what with that other-worldly rendition of Bowie's "Let's Dance"

I've heard of 16 of them. And actually listened to about 5. If that. Now I'm feeling old. But I'm ok with it since most bands suck now a days! All pops and whistles!

In all seriousness, I don't care for a lot of the music I've heard recently. I used to be big into rock and metal acts, but... in the past 8 years I've been getting more into folk acts and classic rock. A lot of more recent music just doesn't have good lyrics.

I don't care for a lot of the music I've heard recently.
I've heard it all before. As hoochmonkey pointed out, listening to them would only remind me of their influences.

Now, when I hear something I really hate and cannot relate to at all, I know those kids are on to something. When I think I'm hearing idiot-noise, I know it's the future.

Then again, people could just go back to acoustic instruments. There's nothing else left (poor bastards), so it would make sense.

I've heard it all before. As hoochmonkey pointed out, listening to them would only remind me of their influences.

Now, when I hear something I really hate and cannot relate to at all, I know those kids are on to something. When I think I'm hearing idiot-noise, I know it's the future.

Then again, people could just go back to acoustic instruments. There's nothing else left (poor bastards), so it would make sense.

About a year or so ago I would attempt to listen to CBC's Radio 3's weekly broadcast. I'd hear something and think oh is (whomever) still out there?, or think that sounds like, then find out it was someone I'd not heard of and then wonder what the fuss was about. Maybe it's always been that way--name the influences.

Anyway, I stopped listening to Radio 3. Sometimes I browse their site for the podcasts of sessions and concerts. Sara and Teagan are okay. Noticed them on the list. Stars had a hit of sorts, Black Mountain (heavy assed), but I wouldn't go very far or pay much to listen to them.

Think I counted about 20 I'm aware of on the initial list posted on this thread. I'm old and I don't care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back