Another fun inscription VI - WOMEN (1 Viewer)

These aren't really inscriptions but they're fun. These items are laid into my copy of WOMEN.

The first is a note that Bukowski included when he submitted the final manuscript for WOMEN. The second is one of many, many letters Bukowski received from women who wanted to sleep with him. The last is yet another indecent proposal. The date of this last letter is just three weeks before he passed away. Viva!

note.jpg letter 1.jpg letter 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mark. These are great.

She had every reason to believe he'd enjoy himself. Heh, yeah, I'll bet she did.

So nymark, do you have up to date contact details for these, erm... correspondents? :p

Considering the date of the letters, I don't think I'd be interested. The author in letter #1 is 51 years old and is probably sombody's mom! The photo is hot but that was a loooong time ago!

LOL - Great letters! Buk sure could pick and choose. Too bad the pic is so dark.
Thanks, Nymark...

He used, "Your boy, Henry," quite often to sign off letters to Martin. But yeah, it was less common for him to use it in letters to others.

still say Buk was the luckiest man alive!
He spent so many years suffering that I'd have to disagree. Skin disease, poverty, alcohol stupor, no family love until much later in life, damaged self esteem, etc. That's doesn't sound so lucky to me.

He spent so many years suffering that I'd have to disagree. Skin disease, poverty, alcohol stupor, no family love until much later in life, damaged self esteem, etc. That's doesn't sound so lucky to me.
I would have to agree with that. We all have our pain and our trials, but I wouldn't have wanted to take his on. I don't think 20 years of notoriety and 10 or 12 years of relative financial comfort make up for all the shit. Not hardly. And the general friction of his life didn't necessarily stop when he and Linda moved down to San Pedro.

Last edited:
He spent so many years suffering...
I would have to agree with that...
of course you're both totally right with that!
I couldn't take his bearings either.
But at least, he had the ability to make great art out of his pains.
And - in later years he become very conciliable about his past:

"...I've had a full some life, and
if anybody has had an edge, I've
had it. I've lived 7 or 8 lives in one..."

What a wise man!!!

I sure would'nt like to suffer as he has suffered.

Btw, where's that quote from, Roni?

where's that quote from, Roni?

it's from 'forget it' in 'You get so Alone'. (close to the end)

on March 10th 1994, right after they aired the sad news, I was flipping through his books - and when I came to this poem, I literally broke down and cried (even though he asked us not to).

Thanks, Roni! Very befitting poem to read on the day of his death. I like his attitude towards his own death as he wrote about it in the poem...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back