Anyone got Cornered? (1 Viewer)

ROC

It is what it is
With the recent acquisition of Darkness and Ice, I have confirmed my place as BSP book collecting weirdo No. 1.

Oh well, you gotta have a hobby, right?

Here they are with a match book to give a size reference. Sorry about the crappy photo. My wife broke yet another digital camera. (That's 4).

This, Red, D&I.jpg
Now... anyone have a copy of Cornered they want to let go for five bucks?

Those Burn Again Press books are a complete rip-off! Burn again is right!

But I have all four.

Actually, here's the really retarded thing - I don't own ONE New Year's Greeting because I've always felt they were overpriced items. Can someone please explain?

Last edited by a moderator:
I received some random new years greetings as slip in extras
on the couple of book orders from BSP.Are they hard to find now or expensive?

The wraps copies generally are worth about $10, maybe $20, although many are priced above that. The posthumous hardcovers are probably worth about $35 or so, and the signed hardcovers generally are worth about $100-$125 (for numbered; those that are lettered; add 25% or thereabouts). There was also 1969's If We Take, that was only done in wraps in both signed and unsigned versions (green thread for unsigned; red for signed). The unsigned version is sometimes offered in the $75-$90 range (not sure if it sells) and the signed version has commanded up to near $200. 1976's The Last Poem and Tough Company (Diane Wakoski contributed The Last Poem) is a bit harder to find and commands a bit more than the more common editions.

Shit, maybe that makes us both completely insane.Bill

Nahh. Just "special".

How do you break a digital camera? Or should I say four digital cameras.

Dropped. Dropped. Lost. Fried the battery (so technically not all broken, but still useless to me now).

Those Burn Again Press books are a complete rip-off! Burn again is right!But I have all four.

Ha! So you got Red, Well done. Yes they are a re a rip off, but so is dental surgery and I know which one I'd prefer to spend my $ on.

If it were easily explainable it would be no fun.

Correct... as usual.

I love the design on those single title books, but... well I know I can't afford 'em, so...

You've gotta at least consider that they're signed. I mean... that's good at least. If you were dropping down big cash on something that wasn't signed... then you'd be crazier.

Which is not to say that you, and we, are not crazy. We certainly are. Isn't it fun?

soon i will drop big cash on heat wave... it's not signed (well, but bukowski at least), but i still want it... more than a lot of books that are signed, actually.

horsemeat is a fantastic book, too. the thing that sells me on heatwave is that i like ken price's art a lot, especially now that i'm having lots of LA nostalgia. plus, horsemeat is 3x more expensive, usually.

Here are a few shots from Horsemeat for y'all. I'm assuming it's cool to post these, since the original prints in the books have all been long sold. If not, mods, delete away with my apologies.

HorsemeatSolitude.jpg

HorsemeatWindow.jpg

HorsemeatSpillofColor.jpg

HorsemeatDrinkinwLindaLee.jpg

thanks, purple. I'll probably never hold Horsemeat in my hands, so it's good to have a sneak peek.

It's reproduced (sans photos) as the first section of war all the time.
But, War All The Time, is not divided into sections! Could you tell me where Horsemeat ends in War..? At what page number or at which poem title?

Purple Stickpin, thanks a lot for all the Horsemeat pics! They're great!

You're welcome, Bukfan. My pleasure. I tried to make them good enough to look at without being good enough to pirate (crooked edges, etc.).

Horsemeat is listed in the table of contents of War All the Time. Pages 36-63. It is divided into 20 sections: I through XX.

Thanks, PS! I noticed that the pic of Buk at the betting window, looks a bit like a similar pic of Buk at the betting window in the "Bukowski" photo book from 2002! Both pics were probably shot at the same time. I've attached the pic. Buk's jacket and blue shirt is the same as in the Horsemeat pic.

_Bukowski-Montfort_inside_05.jpg

ROC, that's ok! I'm easy to confuse...:p

The first of those photos is also from Horsemeat (or something very similar). The one at the betting window is Buk collecting as opposed to the one in Horsemeat, where he is dropping a bet. I like that one you posted better!

Aha! So the first pic also has a "cousin" in Horsemeat? That's two pics so far which has "cousins" in Horsemeat!

That's the problem I have with the Montfort/Buk books; there just aren't that many photos. So if you have Photos 77-87, Photos 77 - 91, Horsemeat, Bukowski, you are going to see the same sort of shots over and over again.

Right! That's rather annoying. Perhaps Montfort should'nt have published all those "cousin" shots. Not in such expensive books anyway. You don't want to pay a lot of money to look at similar pics...

Thanks for the shots, PS. Looks like an interesting book. I like that the text is available elsewhere.

Does the final BSP photo book have EVERYTHING. Or do you have to spend thousands to get all the Montfort photos?

Unless you really really want quality prints, buy a cheap German edition of Horsemeat.

That's the problem I have with the Montfort/Buk books...

Like every photographer, Montfort didn't take only one shot for one picture. Photographers always let it *click click*...

(Esp back in those days, when you couldn't see the result immediately on a screen but had to wait for the exposure, when - of course - it's too late to shoot the same thing one more time.)

This method results in a big lot of similar pictures. Usually for a publication, there's one selected, the others dropped. (But of course, the negatives still exist.)

The 2002-BSP-book is considered a 'Best-Of-Montfort-shots'-book. (That was the intention.) It was a result of a slideshow, Montfort was projecting to a whole wall of Buks house in San Pedro one evening - and John Martin jumped in to make a book out of that slideshow-pics.

I find it better to have (slightly) different shots of one motive. (Most photographers are afraid of this because they fear to show two rivaling shots of which one always will be considered as 'not-as-good'.)

The 2002-BSP-book is considered a 'Best-Of-Montfort-shots'-book. (That was the intention.) It was a result of a slideshow, Montfort was projecting to a whole wall of Buks house in San Pedro one evening - and John Martin jumped in to make a book out of that slideshow-pics.

I really want that book. It hits me as a big thing that JM published it as the last BSP book (and item, right? Like... no more broadsides?) and the fact that it was a Bukowski item... I love the respect in that.

Of course, the last copy I saw was $1000 on eBay (wasn't that yours?) and... Just a BIT out of my league.

...Of course, the last copy I saw was $1000 on eBay (wasn't that yours?) ...

It wasn't 'my' copy. I wouldn't sell mine.

I tried to sell it on behalf of Michael. The reason for that high price was me trying to get s*. (Though I do think it's worth thie price, I'm aware that the market doesn't give these prices at the moment.)

I still have it for sale and since Michael is dead, I would share the money with his daughter Daisy now.

You're invited to send me a PM with a price-offer.

(Note: This book has been fully packed and stored save all the years at Michael's place. It was opened only once in its entire life for the purpose of being signed by Michael in July 2008.)

I know that whatever offer I make would be soundly denied. I'm too poor to make a serious offer at the moment... But I remember those pictures on eBay... a wonderful item to be sure.

How did he photograph not what did he photograph. :)

People normally assume the camera is not pointed at them and the shape of the lens normally supports this assumption.

I don't know...I imagine bringing a camera into a mensroom and pointing it at the row of urinals and being jumped by someone. Too bad as I have been in some cool old johns while traveling and had the camera in my backpack and wanted to shoot some pictures but my better judgment told me to hold off. I guess I could scream "but Montfort did it!" as I'm pummeled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back