Apartment where "Post Office" penned slated for demolition (1 Viewer)

Below, from Bukday tour host Richard Schave's blog:
989915101_4a052b4c38_m.jpg

With the Bukowski Tour just a couple weeks away, it was time to drive the route beginning to end, to work out any kinks, and of course to document more buildings where important novels of the 20th century were written that are now slated for the wrecking ball.

5124 De Longpre Ave. was the first stop on the East Hollywood leg of the tour. We knew of its boarded and fenced condition already, but the post advertising it as a Vacant Lot For Sale on Craigslist was quite a shock.

This is where Bukowski lived when his publisher John Martin of Black Sparrow Press put him on a monthly stipend for life. This offer was his impetus to quit the Post Office, where he had worked for almost 12 years straight, and devote himself to writing. With his internal clock conditioned for the emotional tailspin 6:18 pm (the start of his shift) brought, he instead girded his loins, and with a few beers and a fear of writing produced "Post Office" in a few weeks. Experiences around women on De Longpre would also inspire his watershed novel "Women."

As far we know, unlike the John Fante "Ask the Dust" apartments on South Berendo, no homeless alcoholic has yet died inside this abandoned structure, but there's still time... to acknowledge this city's literary landmarks and architectural legacy in a better way than this. Join us on the bus to see the beautiful bungalow court apartments just opposite, with their soaring bare-breasted mermaid fountain sculpture that neighbor Buk almost certainly ogled.

Join us on the bus to see the beautiful bungalow court apartments just opposite, with their soaring bare-breasted mermaid fountain sculpture that neighbor Buk almost certainly ogled.
So you mean to tell me that I can go look at the court apartments across the street from Bukowski's old digs for only $75?!

Wow! There's no way I could possibly drive over there and walk around by myself, so I just have to let you know how much I appreciate your selfless efforts.

Thank you.

Now go fuck yourself.

What??? Bukowski's DeLongre apartment slated for demolition??? I've been out of the loop too long.

That's sad, the destruction of history. I always imagined that apartment becoming a museum, with Buk's old typer on the table, photos of him guzzling beer on the walls.

A vacant lot. Now there's a cultural addition to the City of Los Angeles (or is it the City of Hollywood? I never did understand the geography there.)

I kind of thought that was the case with Hollywood vs L.A.

You're right; why would we need a museum to remember Bukowski's life in L.A.? Sooner or later we'll have the films of Post Office and Women (which probably won't be faithful to the books), so why would we need some funky old building? A DVD takes up much less space, plus you can build on a vacant lot. Try erecting a Starbuck's on a DVD case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back