art & artists (1 Viewer)

wow! lucky you. i drove from toronto to long island in the 90's to see a show of his.

good lord!!! why couldn't it have be me...

New York thrift store find turns out to be valuable Schiele drawing

schiele.jpg

that's funny cause i thought about that all day after i saw the article. i couldn't stop thinking about it and looking
at the drawing, it's so beautiful. just look at that one continuous line along the top of the body. unbelievable.

it would cost too much to insure and we could use the money too much so i'd have to sell it.

unfortunately, some dum-dum cut it down - including his signature! - which means it's only worth
a couple hundred grand.

The artist's forum that I post in (yes, the one I quit and go back to) has been talking about SCHIELE lately. There's an Italian guy that started the thread and it winds up that he really likes Buk. It came up because he wanted to know what artists were somewhat similar to Schiele and someone mentioned Käthe Butcher. I didn't know about her (LOVE!). Then, I read an article/interview where she spoke about what Bukowski meant to her in her life and I mentioned this on the thread, told everyone how I had this in common with her. So the original poster talked about how he has all of his books but hasn't really read much of them because he didn't know in which order to read them. Ha. So I gave him a little guidance. I hope I was correct in telling him HoR, Women, Hollywood. For poetry, I told him to start with Tournefortia. Love is a Dog from Hell was my first of the poetry books though, and will always be my favorite. I think Tournefortia might be mjp's favorite. He can correct me if I'm wrong.

This Rita Ackermann shirt is going on sale tomorrow at hipster doofus skater store SUPREME, if anyone feels like lining up in front of their Bowery store and paying $150 for it.

It also comes in black and white, but I don't know if that would have the same impact...

Ackermann-shirt-2.jpg

Honestly, I'd wear the shit out of that shirt. I think Ackermann's a great artist, and the shirt would certainly disgust everyone else in line at the post office or wherever else I happened to go. People see what they want to see and most people live to be offended by nothing, so they are.

But I'm not into Rayon(!?) clothes and I'm 2,700 miles from the store and I wouldn't stand in line for the privilege of buying a $150 Rayon shirt from some condescending bearded hipster cunt with fake skateboard scabs on his knees.

Other than that, I'm down.

Here is a "set" of paintinga I've had my eye on at a local antique shop for months. They dropped the price and I got them, much to the behest of the old lady! No idea who painted them as they arent signed but I love stuff like this that is just too ugly or too bizarre to not be interesting. Also a fan of badly done antique taxidermy. I want a very uncanny boars head at a local shop but I'm pretty sure I'd need a new house to hang it in, as well as live.

rar.jpg rar2.jpg

I just now saw this. It's funny to me, I guess. I know a bit about the genre and I remember when Outsider artists were being given cigarettes and blankets in exchange for 40+ paintings at a time. Many were still alive then. Traylor wasn't of course, but his work was affordable still. Though, even back then, dealers were selling that work for 1000x or more than they were getting the work for. If they paid five dollars, they were selling the work for $500 or so. Five dollars would be a lot to pay, as they were buying out their entire sheds. Artists like Mose Tolliver for instance. I don't know what his work goes for now--he's passed since and many pieces signed "Mose" by his kids aren't originals, but I bet even those are going for many thousands now.

Something that the article got wrong is that Carl Hammer was not the first to sell Traylor's work on the open market, but whatever. He's one of the first dealers to sell Outsider art in general, but not the first. It may have been Phyllis Kind Gallery, but I'm not sure. She was one of the first to show any Outsider artist in a gallery setting, like Rameriz, Wolfli, Darger, and Zinelli. I think she was doing that in the 70s. She had a gallery in Chicago in the 60s that she moved to NY.

I have a painting by Richard Burnside. I should see if it's worth anything. I knew this genre was getting popular in the early 2000s, but this is getting crazy now. There have been so many unscrupulous dealings in the Outsider art world, you don't even want to know. It feels like all the wrong people are making tons of money off artists who never get their fair share.

Anyway, I love Traylor. I wish I had one. I love Carl Zenelli too.

It feels like all the wrong people are making tons of money off artists who never get their fair share.
Hasn't it always been like this?
The famous contract signed on the hood of a used car where you sell all your work and your soul for an apple.

I also don't have a Facebook for the same reason. I'm thinking a). sharing the link on my Instagram page as a story (it's not like I have a lot of followers or artistic friends, but maybe it could help) or b). reaching out to the people I know are into art personally and casually dropping the link.

so sorry you can't keep up
Dontcha worry. I can (more or less), at the very moment, but know this won't last.
Anyways, I am enjoying being a part and for now it feels like art is the voice in my head these days. So, thanks for the opportunity.

oh yeah he's one of my favourites. does amazing figures, portraits, landscapes, prints, everything.

google him if you get a chance. he's relatively obscure but worth digging into.

here's the sotheby's page with vallotton auction stuff. auction sites - sotheby's, christies and most other ones - are
a goldmine for high quality zoomable images of the art. search any big name artist and you'll get to see not
just great quality images but work that can't be seen anywhere else. and then probably disappear into some
filthy rich person's private collection.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/search-results.html?query=felix vallotton

here's the egon schiele page - and under it one of my all time faves by any painter. and done when he was
20 years old! it's interesting how many great artists were fully formed at such a young age - egon, dylan,
glenn gould, the beatles, so many more. not sure if that applies to writers equally. i'm not familiar with enough
of them. but i know bukowski was a late bloomer.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/search-results.html?query=egon schiele

https://www.sothebys.com/en/auction...ollection-a-alfred-taubman-n09430/lot.56.html

Last edited:
Thanks gray. Schiele is so kick-ass!
Even when you think you've seen so many, there's always new stuff coming up the alley.

Hint: In order to right-click and "save-as..." those pics, you'll have to turn off ALL cookies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back