Barfly and Barbet coming to Ebertfest (1 Viewer)

Barfly is going to be screened at Ebertfest.

According to the schedule at ebertfest.com, it'll be shown at 9 p.m. on Saturday, April 24, and Barbet Schroeder will be there to talk about it.

Most importantly, from the top link:

...for the first time ever, all festival Q&A sessions and panel discussions will be streamed live on the Internet.

Seems like the right venue to announce a future Criterion release.

Mod Edit:
Both the Intro and the Q & A are available now. Not sure how long they'll be on ustream for.

Barbet's Intro

Barfly Q & A with Barbet Schroeder (whole thing, about 53 mins total).

Here's a little more info re the streaming of Q & A sessions (ie. how to hopefully watch the Barbet Schroeder Q & A next weekend)

We are just streaming it out through uStream, so there is no need to download Real Player or anything like that. The streaming will be accessible through ebertfest.com, and if for some reason you can't find it there, you can just search for Ebertfest on ustream.tv

Looking at the Ustream.tv site today, it looks likely that the Q & A clips will be available after they happen for sometime at least, and the clips there already are .flv files that can be downloaded with Video Downloadhelper (for Firefox) or similar software.

So as long as Barbet isn't stranded in Europe, there might be something worth watching.

Get in the mood.... :)

Barbet made it to the festival. Just watched him briefly introducing the movie, saying that 'it was based around a part of Bukowski's life that he hadn't written much about, that is his first great love affair.'

Stream was okay. Shame it cut out before he'd finished talking.

Check back in about 100 Mins to see the promised Q & A session with Barbet.

Barbet made it to the festival. Just watched him briefly introducing the movie, saying that 'it was based around a part of Bukowski's life that he hadn't written much about, that is his first great love affair.'

He says a similar thing in the commentary of the barfly dvd. Something to the sort of Buk wrote the screenplay around a part of his life that he had not written about before. Also says something like the screenplay was written about a 2-3 day period in Buks life when he was a barfly.

Maybe not totally correct, but this is what I remember in my current state, heartbroken and depressed that the Lakers just allowed the thunder to even their first round playoff series.

I just watched Schroeder answering Questions from the audience. What struck me was Shroeder saying at the end Bukowski liked Barfly when we all know Bukowski said it was 'kinda misdone'.
He mentioned the real barflies he used in the movie, were, contrary to some people's belief, sober and not smelling during the filming. :D
He also mentioned he taped Bukowski reading the script. It would be interesting to watch that tape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I tried to record the Q & A (just in case), but typically, the software bombed. Nothing astounding was said really. Barbet stated that Bukowski was happy with Rourke's performance and interpretation, but not satisfied with Dunaway, who was perhaps 'too much of a movie star' to portray 'Wanda'.

He also mentioned he taped Bukowski reading the script. It would be interesting to watch that tape.

Yes that would be very interesting. The video is probably gone for ever now.

Edit: Q & A is available now, whole thing, about 53 mins total.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6425667

Yes that would be very interesting. The video is probably gone for ever now.

Maybe we could ask the guy who runs Schroeder's webpage if he could find out if the tape still exists...

I didn't do anything :) Well, I posted a link.

Worth a watch, but perhaps not really worth getting up at 4:45 am to watch live :rolleyes:

Oh and no announcement of any further releases of the movie, in case you were really hoping.

Well, she certainly seems to understand Bukowski so she was a good choice. Ebert is a big fan, so I don't think they would have had someone up there who didn't get it. She took it in a good direction.

That first kid from the audience was very enthusiastic too. ;)

she was great. I just happened to google her name trying to figure out her background and saw she wasn't the ugliest person in town.

[...] Bukowski said it was 'kinda misdone'.

that quote from the 1990-documentary is only one side of the coin. 'Hollywood' on the other side reads like he liked it.

(ps: I fully agree with his 1990-interview, that Rourke's hairdo actually was off the point.)

(ps: I fully agree with his 1990-interview, that Rourke's hairdo actually was off the point.)

So were Rourke's clothes. Buk said he looked too "bedraggled". Buk also said his clothes back then were always clean, although not always ironed, and that was certainly not the case with Rourke's clothes in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back