Barfly review by Roger Ebert from 1987 online (1 Viewer)

hank solo

Just practicin' steps and keepin' outta the fights
Reaper Crew
Founding member
After seeing the review of Born Into This mentioned by connswater, I wondered if Roger Ebert's review of Barfly had appeared online. Sure it has...

It's not much, but there ya go.

When Barfly came out I heard Roger Ebert talk about the movie and Bukowski on his TV show. That was a long time ago. I had always meant to see the movie and read some of Bukowski's stuff but never did until I saw Born Into This in 2006. I should have followed his recomendation way back then.

Not a bad read. I'm getting my memories mixed up, but doesn't Buk include Ebert as a character in Hollywood? I seem to remember him being presented in a good light by Buk. I'm also remembering something about Ebert saying what a truly enjoyable day it was when he spent an afternoon on the set with Buk.

... doesn't Buk include Ebert as a character in Hollywood?

here you go:
"I can testify to the way his life became his fiction, because the day I spent on the set of the movie became part of Hollywood, and the movie critic in the book is a fair enough portrait of me."

"Barfly" is one of the year's best films. - Roger Ebert.
and it was. well, i dont know what else was out that year. i wasn't even born yet.
but it was.

did rourke get any awards for it?
i think this movie should have gotten an oscar nod.
what do you guys think? would they give something so underground and cult like this an oscar nod?

anna101 said:
did rourke get any awards for it?
i think this movie should have gotten an oscar nod.
what do you guys think? would they give something so underground and cult like this an oscar nod?
Actually, with Faye Dunaway (Oscar winner for "Network") in the cast, it wasn't really considered that underground. It played the major movie chains, not just art-houses, despite the Buk connection. So it's lack of Oscar nominations wasn't because of obscurity.

and it was. well, i dont know what else was out that year. i wasn't even born yet.
but it was.

1987 Best Picture Nominees

The Last Emperor (winner)
Broadcast News
Fatal Attraction
Hope And Glory
Moonstruck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back