Beatles live! (1 Viewer)

d gray

tried to do his best but could not
Founding member
i'm sure anyone who cares has seen this but always worth another viewing.
i don't think they ever sounded better live and lennon's voice is so ripping.

Thank you Mr. Gray. Ticket to Ride is one of my favorite Beatles songs. Why do you think that after Paul sings Yesterday John says, "thank you Ringo." ?

If I'm not mistaken, that performance is in Anthology. But it is a good one. One of those rare live performances where the audience shut the fuck up and the boys could actually hear themselves.

I just got back from Fenway seeing McCartney, and I can report that he clearly loves performing live and really delivers.

A couple of my friends made the drag from the Springfield area for the Fenway show. I imagine it was quite good.

And thanks for the link. The performance does sound familiar, as though I've heard it on Anthology (or even on the DVD set...), but I can't be certain.

A couple of my friends made the drag from the Springfield area for the Fenway show. I imagine it was quite good.

Quite good would sell it short by a considerable amount. I never thought I'd hear tunes like Drive My Car, Day Tripper, Paperback Writer, A Day in the Life, Helter Skelter...on and on played live by a group that is actually worthy of playing them. Not to mention all the other 2 hours of gems that came out tonight. Very hot band, and McCartney is totally on top of his game; still, at 67. He really kicked it hard.

I hope I can drag my sorry ass outta bed at 67. If I make it that far.

yeah, that's from anthology. there's a few more songs as well. no screaming, the mix is great, and lennon's voice is in prime form.

insulting trivia question - who played lead guitar on the studio version of 'ticket to ride'?

the press conferences are great too. it's really funny seeing how they got more and more irritated doing them over the years. here's an early one in toronto with an interviewer who's such a knob. john lennon starts fucking with him at the end and his response to "where do your hairstyles originate" is priceless.

You could be right, that's for sure. McCartney played lead on a good number of songs that I was unaware of when growing up as a Beatles fan. I always thought: "geez, Harrison sure varies his style a lot." Taxman comes to mind. That lead is pure McCartney. George was a bit hacked off by that, as I recall from Anthology.

But I'm pretty sure that's a 12-string on Ticket to Ride, and I've never heard of McCartney using the 12-string. Then again, I've never heard of Charles Manson knitting a sweater, but it's possible he has. Of course, it would have a backwards swastika on it, but I digress.

insulting trivia question - who played lead guitar on the studio version of 'ticket to ride'?

Paul McCartney, I think. George played his 12 string guitar, but I think Paul played the lead guitar...

yeah that's it. from wiki -

The song was written primarily by John Lennon (credited to Lennon/McCartney), with Paul McCartney's contributions in dispute. Lennon said that McCartney's contribution was limited to "the way Ringo played the drums".[1] McCartney said that was an incomplete response, and that "we sat down and wrote it together... give him 60 percent of it... we sat down together and worked on that for a full three-hour songwriting session."[2] Lennon said the double-time ending section (with the lyric "My baby don't care") was one of his "favorite bits" in the song.[1] This song was also the first song by the band in which McCartney was featured on lead guitar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back