Bukowski Bust (1 Viewer)

Madness

Founding member
I remember seeing that Linda was selling the infamous Bukowski bust on e-bay not too long ago. Anyone know if it ever sold and for how much?

There's more than one. She had it cast and had maybe a dozen (anyone who knows the exact number feel free to correct me) made. They sell for about five grand.

art71linda-1.jpg

?

Wasn't it Linda King who scutpted this?
Buk reads the poem Experience and talks about the first time he met her. That sculpture was turned around, not showing the front and she said she had messed it up.
He left and returned.
"Well, I fixed him."
"Who?" I asked.
"My man in the corner. Want to see?"
"He was fixed alright. It was me...and the work of art stood there, a very beautiful thing."

now the question I'm asking is, was it Linda King?

yes. I wouldn't have asked that question if I would've read the small press review article she wrote that can be found on this site, huh...

if anybody finds another one of these in an ebay auction, post the link here.
(not that I'll have the five grand to spend on it but it would be interesting to see pics n such)

I have pics from an ebay auction for the bust, but they're in a deep dark, messy directory somewhere...

More interesting than the head was a little bronze sculpture that Bukowski did! I imagine he made a little manlike thing out of clay and she kept it and eventually had it cast. She included that in the auction.

Busting out all over

If Linda King would make her bust in a small desk or mantel size, the Bukowski fans would probably gobble them up and she might have more coin in her purse. It's one of the best likenesses I've seen, and it would have given a nice feeling to be staring at one right now next to my Céline Dion keyboard... "O death where is thy sting?"

Last edited by a moderator:
GREAT IDEA! I'd buy one. Anyone here want to contact her and find out why? I know her, but not well. I'm sure that someone here calls her a friend.

Bill

There's more than one. She had it cast and had maybe a dozen (anyone who knows the exact number feel free to correct me) made. They sell for about five grand.

The only guy i know who has an original is the founder of the Bukowski
Society in Germany.
I just saw a plaster copy on our symposiums in Buk's birth town Andernach.
Hey Falko if you join us here please put in your information.

Hey, Petey, who ARE you? Sounds like we've met in Andernach before. Must have.

Yes, Falko, the founder of the Buk-Society, has one. (officially it's a part of our archive, but I guess, since he payed it from his own pocket when starting the society, it's only on loan.)

He bought it directly from Linda then. And, yes, it's as fine as one would imagine from the known photographs.

I once have heared about the number of original copies from the master-head she had done. Think it was a dozen, as mjp stated before. But can ask for the exact number if requested.

Hi,
I know two people that have one. I seem to remember hearing that 20 was the edition, but that they were not numbered and could be recast at any time. Someone else, say, someone whose girlfriend is an artist or something may know better than I.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Interesting that two people have them. She could sell them in a limited edtion, yes, but what I had in mind was a mass produced non-limited edition for the"”don't sock me"”the "little people", such as myself... people or those crazy Buk fans on a budget. I'd just like to have a bust in the same way that I have an entertaining desk-size bust of Bach and Beethoven, something for the Bukowski fans who are growing in numbers. Man, I'd could really go for one of those! It would put the final touch on my Bukowski collection.

In the Linda King article someone posted recently she said she still had the original clay bust. So it could easily be recasted. It would be a good idea to make miniature busts. They could also be reasonably priced and I'm sure she would sell a lot of copies...

:)
This Is An Amazing Idea!

I hope she finds out about, runs with the idea. She might be able to make more that way than with a larger-size head, limited edition. She could also continue with her larger limited editionsi for those with the coin... I like her bust, especially when viewed from the front. The side view is a little less successful perhaps, but not a problem for me... Plus, it's impossible not to see the bust and think of all that Bukowsky wrote about it in Women, not to mention the arguements he and Ms. King had and the bust being carried from one place to another like it represented the finality of the relationship. Some of those stories may have been painful for him, but they were fun for me. (Until the next time I get my head in a ringer myself.) It's the holy relic, hoho, of the novel.

I would add one thing about the size of the bust. It shouldn't be too large or small. It should be roadtested for the just-right size, because I would want it to have presence but without hoggin' up my desk. And if it's too small, that's just as bad: there won't be enough detail. I am willing to sacrifice myself to try out one of the VW-like, mass-produced prototypes, and these fuckers are finally made in China and carried by Walmart. That would be a hoot. They'd probably sell in Europe and could be advertised on "Apostrophes" if the show still exists. Ha.

hmmmm.... I could put one of these on my dashboard.....right next to my plastic jesus.......

Indeed. We could have Buk beer and wine, Buk typewriters/pc's, a book with Buk race track tips, Buk vw's and bmw's, Buk life style books,The collected Buk books in leather, Buk's guide to alcohol, Buk designer clothes etc.etc.
Endless possibilities to make money...:D

r.crumb might take some offers

r.crumb manufactures toy characters based on his comics.
i doubt Linda King is gonna rush out to fill these request.
But,never know without asking.

i just want a copy of 'crucifix' for less than $250,which is the
lowest abebooks has to offer.anyone anyone

i just want a copy of 'crucifix' for less than $250,which is the lowest abebooks has to offer.anyone anyone
Keep an eye on eBay. I think you can pick up a copy of Crucifix for $250 as long as you are willing to accept a small flaw, missing band, etc. I know it has sold in that ballpark in the last year...

I know two people that have one. I seem to remember hearing that 20 was the edition, but that they were not numbered and could be recast at any time. Someone else, say, someone whose girlfriend is an artist or something may know better than I.
I don't know much (err, anything) about casting bronze, but just in typical art numbering schemes, if the casting was not limited, she could produce as many as she would like.

Something I've wondered though, is the original clay work destroyed in the first casting? I know when they use wax to make molds for metal casting it's called "lost mold" or "lost form" or something, because the hot metal pours in and burns up the wax.

If the original clay piece was destroyed in the first casting, I would assume any subsequent castings were made from the first bronze, which would dull the detail a bit.

I don't know. I did some foundry shit in high school, and as I recall, there are a lot of different ways to go about it.

oh God!..... I hope these things don't start showing up at walmart..... would'nt this be like owning a plastic replica of the holy grail? or maybe some some people do this?...I dunno seems kind of cheesy to me....course, I never have been accused of having much business sense.....

As long as it won't be a plastic Buk - like a plastic Jesus - it will be fine...:D

Ey! Haven't you ever seen the wonderful 'Buddy Jesus'-figure in Kevin Smiths 'Dogma'?
That's a COOL one!
And imagine - right beside this 'Buddy-Jesus': A Charles Bukowski with a button in the back to hit a bottle!
Or even able to say things like "I'm just a crazy, beer drinking wrestler who farts." plus the noize - BUT with a slightly wrong, artificial voice! (not totally false! just remarkable.)
And maybe with a little fridge inside the belly! Wow!

LMAO - No, I have'nt seen the "Buddy-Jesus", but I buy your idea of a talking Buk. The voice should have the Buk/W.C.Fields drawl. Maybe a real Buk sound-bite, taken from one of the docu's. The refrigerator idea is good too. With a refrigerator in the belly, just big enough for holding one or two beer cans (tall), it would sell big time...:D

A friend of mine has a Buddy Jesus action figure. I think he's standing on a platform with little plastic wheels (like the old McDonalds toys, but without the mechanism to make him really move).

A friend of mine has a Buddy Jesus action figure. I think he's standing on a platform with little plastic wheels (like the old McDonalds toys, but without the mechanism to make him really move).

I have a Jesus action figure but it's not the 'Buddy', he came with a plastic bowel of loaves and fishes! The Christmas before The Pope died we got Pope action figures into my store, they were larger than Barbie; like GI-Joe sized. They sold like fucking hotcakes! People were buying 5 and 6 at a time. I've never been an e-bay watcher, but I always assumed these pulled in few extra bucks down the line. They were really cool/funny. I know a couple of coworkers that picked them up for collection and Christmas gifts! CRB:)

Oh my! Jesus would roll over in his grave...:eek:

The Last Supper (Talking Clock)

Sit at the Holy Table during Jesus' last critical hours. Be with Him and His disciples at The Last Supper. This remarkable picture/clock is a very limited edition and is exquisite in every detail.
A red digital time display shows the hours and the minutes. Every hour, a disciple tells his name and the time. Then he quotes some of Jesus' inspiring words. This is followed by soft music. The candle in front of the disciple flashes while he is speaking, while Jesus' candle remains lit.

Power: 110/220 volts, 50/60 cycles 2 watts output with volume control

Dimensions: 23 inches wide, 13 inches high and 1 inch deep
US $395.00

Hi,
I love how they credit this to Dead Kennedys, which it is not. This is Jello Biafra and Mojo Nixon. I have the CD here. Very odd, but remarkably addictive.

BIll

Users who are viewing this thread

Back