Bukowski Longwood house for sale (1 Viewer)

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2015/05/charles_bukowski_childhood_home.php

Charles Bukowski's Famous Childhood Home in Mid-City LA is For Sale
Tuesday, May 26, 2015, by Adrian Glick Kudler

2015.05_bukowski.jpg

Put on your pilgrimage beanies, disaffected young white boys—a famous childhood home of your hero Charles Bukowski is up for sale (will it be long for this world?). Bukowski's family moved to 2122 S. Longwood Ave., in Mid-City, in 1931, when Bukowski was 11 and the house was about six years old; they were living here while the budding degenerate attended Mount Vernon Junior High, Dorsey High, and Los Angeles High, and while his abusive father pretended to go to a job he'd lost, according to Bukowski.net. They were also here when Bukowski wrote his first short story (in 1935) and was published for the first time (in 1940). And it's the house where Bukowski's father flew into a rage over his stories and threw all his things (typewriter, clothes, writing) out on the lawn. Bukowski left in 1942, but returned to the house through 1947. He lightly fictionalized some of his life here in Ham on Rye.

And now the house is up for sale for the first time since 1996, asking $569,900. It has three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a "[g]ood size kitchen with tile counter and [tile] floors," a dining room, an da two-car garage. According to the listing, "Home have just been painted inside" and "PRICE HAVE BEEN REDUCED FOR FAST SALE."

is that the house he gives a tour of in bukowski tapes?

they should show that segment to people looking at it - "here's where the famous author was beaten with a razor strop by his father", and "here's where he vomited on the carpet and punched his father in the face" etc

btw if every forum member (i couldn't see how many are here) pitched in we could all buy it as a time-share property!

Last edited:
is that the house he gives a tour of in bukowski tapes?
Yes.
they should show that segment to people looking at it
There's nothing in the listing that suggests they even know about Bukowski. But I suspect that even if they did know they might not mention it, considering what happened on DeLongpre. Historical status might be good for the public, but it's not so good for the property owner (or potential property owner).

There's nothing in the listing that suggests they even know about Bukowski. But I suspect that even if they did know they might not mention it, considering what happened on DeLongpre. Historical status might be good for the public, but it's not so good for the property owner (or potential property owner).
sorry, i guess my delivery was off.

wheres's the 'sarcasm smiley' when you need it...:rolleyes:

No, you were clear...I think I just wanted to add the bit about potentially downplaying the Bukowski connection so I used a response to you to do it.

his abusive father pretended to go to a job he'd lost, according to Bukowski.net.
Bukowski.net
I swear that was in a book-the title escapes me

Jeff Markey
to mjp

I have been a fan of Bukowski for decades and your website for a couple of years.

Anyway, I recently renovated 2133 Longwood Ave LA CA 90016. This was Hank’s childhood home... We are turning it into a vacation rental... Please feel free to share with you subscribers if you wish...

http://www.bukowskihouse.com

Jeff

The email Jeff sent to me from bounced, as did the contact email on the website, so in case he drops by I'll just say here that the dates on the website when Bukowski lived in the house (1940-1957) are off by a decade or so.

The family moved in in 1931 and Bukowski lived there until 1940.
He stayed in the house for a few months in 1940/41 and again in 1944/45.
The last time he stayed in the house was 1947, again only for a few months.

For what it's worth.

By the way, one night in the house (with city lodging tax and cleaning fee) will set you back $527.50. A room at the Four Seasons in Beverly Hills or the Beverly Wilshire will run you $555. The Ritz Carlton, $459. Those are five star hotels. So you may want to do some comparison shopping if you're coming for a visit.

But, you know, the Bukowski house will waive that $100 cleaning fee if you stay seven nights, so it would only be three grand for the week.

I'd rather stay at The Cecil (which I imagine is long gone).
It's still there, though it's been renamed, "Stay on Main." For anyone unfamiliar with the Cecil, all you have to know is that the FX series American Horror Story: Hotel is based on the place.

It's where a Canadian tourist was found decomposing in the rooftop water tanks on top of the hotel a couple of years ago (residents said the water had "tasted funny" for about a week), and where a couple of serial killers - including "Night Stalker" Richard Ramirez - called home. Ten years ago you could get a room there for $475 a month.

I almost moved in there in the early 90's. I think a room w/bathroom was around $320, without around $250. I ended up in a Westlake apartment east of Alvarado and south of Beverly. That building now houses formerly homeless addicts. God, how I miss that city sometimes.

Jeff Markey
Jeff Markey was the director of a fine Bukowski-picturization ('The Suicide') in 2006 and there's been an interview with him in the yearbook 2008 of the Bukowski-Society.

Still I agree, that it doesn't lack a portion of perversion to make a tourist-attraction out of the house that's so much assotiated with Bukowskis suffering.

Last edited:
I didn't keep it to turn it into a tourist attraction. I kept it because I wanted to own it and renting it out is the only way I can afford to continue owning it. BTW. I would say only 10% of people who have stay there do so because it is BUKOWSKI's house. I was surprised by that. Mostly it is just random people staying there because it fits their needs. However; with all the Bukowski info and books in the house maybe a few have turned into fans.

And we don't get $555 per night but if you want to pay that you're welcome to. A RITZ hotel room is maybe 200 sqft and sleeps 2. This is a 1700 sqft house and sleeps up to 8. Do the math.

That's a really interesting response to a 9 month old reply in a thread nobody gives a shit about.
I guess people are clamoring to stay at Longwood for its proximity to....nothing.

I win? I didn't enter a contest. You're clearly not familiar with Los Angeles but if you were looking for a trip to Disneyland then you would be disappointed that 2122 Longwood does not sit at the front gates.

the dates on the website when Bukowski lived in the house (1940-1957) are off by a decade or so.
[...]
one night in the house (with city lodging tax and cleaning fee) will set you back $527.50.
thanks, I had the website editor change this a long time ago... She didn't read the timeline correctly... but thanks for the fact check. Your posted rates are off too but they are accurate on airbnb and vrbo. I don't know why the emails bounced back...

Do you guys have a relationship with a limo company that comes along with the house? I'm meeting 7 friends in L.A. the weekend of Halloween. We don't want to drive, but we're gonna hit all the old Buk hangouts and then create some of our own. If everything goes right (and it always does), we're gonna pick up some old school horny bitches and take us back to Buk's place with us.

BTW, Does this place have a hot tub? If not, do you got a number of a rental place?

Let me know Bro (that rymes!),
Mike
(202) 456-1111

Enough with the fucking house. You shilled it, we all know what an "outstanding value" it is, got it. Come back when you're pimping Fante's place.

Oh... you're one of those... fantasizing the worst... the world is flat... the grassy knoll... What would you have done buddy? Would you have sat it out?

No one bashed you for buying the house, stop spinning (or half-reading) everything that's said. No one has bashed you for pimping the house out as some sort of Bukowski shrine. Some people have criticized you or questioned you, and if you can't take that, it's time to leave.

I'm here... laughing mostly at the "criticisms" that I shilled it or that people are getting ripped off or that they want to puke or that I should leave... Are my responses bothering you? If you're getting uncomfortable you can leave.

For a Buk fan who bought the Buk house you should have understood the reference to puking on the Tree of Life rug. It was a turning point in Hank's life. It happened in your place. Hank damn near KO'd his father in your living room.

Please people, I am trying to organize a signing event at the house with Linda King, Lawrence Ferlinghetti and Neeli Cherry when Abel's next book comes out. Don't fuck this up for me -- I've got CHIPOTLE catering the event, so come on by and enjoy some real Mexican food.. This is going to be a truly authenticate Bukowski L.A event. I've even hired professional photographer Gary Eisenberg to document this historical moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back