• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Bukowski material up for auction at PBA Galleries (1 Viewer)

My mistake.

That, however, is the cover of a different Montfort photo book, Shakespeare Never Did This, which makes it a bit confusing.

Lot 54 is the real deal. The last publication of the Black Sparrow Press. Monfort's photos are pretty breathtaking. You hold this book in your hands and look at the photos and you feel like you are in the room with everyone. Good stuff.

Lot 54 is the real deal. The last publication of the Black Sparrow Press. Monfort's photos are pretty breathtaking.

Funny you should mention this.
I don't know, if their version of the book is signed by Montfort, but this one is:

_Bukowski-Montfort_lim_77_a.jpg

http://www.bukowski-shop.de/catalog/bukowski-by-michael-montfort-p-135.html?

Of course a price of 699,- EUR isn't exactly cheap, but hey, shipping inside Germany is free!
And there's Christmas coming ...

_Bukowski-Montfort_inside_02.jpg

_Bukowski-Montfort_inside_06.jpg

_Bukowski-Montfort_inside_09.jpg

Nice images, roni. I think you really have something there with Montfort's signature. I'm curious as to who received copies of this book when it was released back in '02. This is the third time it has been up for auction in America (I know this doesn't mean much because the book is not even ten years old) and online listings are thin. Also, a quick check reveals only five copies are locked up in libraries.

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out...

It'll be interesting to see if the unsigned Harry Potter books can be sold for even half the low estimate.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pba Galleries:
I'd have a question on this item (Lot 54) in the upcoming auction:

http://www.pbagalleries.com/search/item222637.php?

When it was listed first on the website, it didn't say, it's signed, neither does it say so in the printed catalog. Now in the online-listing it says, it IS signed. Would you mind, posting a pic of that signature either in the thread or send as attachment to my email-addy?

Would be very kind of you.
Not that I don't believe in it's authenticity, esp since it's from the Weinberg-collection. I'm just the curious kind.

Thanks a lot!
roni

Hello all,

I just wanted to alert the forum there is Bukowski material up for auction this Thursday. There is new material as well as reoffers of items in the prior sale at reduced prices. Take a look at the catalogue on line here at lots 7-38 http://www.pbagalleries.com/live/sale_details.php?s=475&p=0&sort=&order= .

The sale is Thursday, March 15th at 11am Pacific Time. You can follow the action with our Real Time Bidder here http://www.pbagalleries.com/realtimebidder/ on auction day.

Thanks much.

Wow there were some bargains at the PBA auction - shame I wasn't in the market. I just looked through the auction results and some of the BSP signed books went CHEAP!!

Yeah, there were some good buys to be had. I bid on Confessions but let it go when it got up over my limit. It was probably still a good buy, just not for me.

I put in a pre-bid of $150 on Terror Street, just in case no one else felt like bidding, but someone did. Decent price on that too.

I have only started buying since this past January, and in that time have bought some well-priced things and some poorly-priced things. In today's sale I picked up The Curtains Are Waving... (and afterwards noted how, despite knowing of it in advance and its effect on the final price, the buyer's fee makes the purchase price seem much more expensive after you see it in writing) and Krumhansl.

I was really excited about 2 Poems, and bid up a ways, but chickened out after that.

Went to Gulfstream Park over the weekend. Buk would have been proud of my having developed the horseplayer death wish by the end of the day; betting the last of the day's stake on a hopeless 50-1 long shot whose trainer hasn't won a race in about 5 years...

My one complaint is add-on costs above hammer price. I accept the 20% buyer's premium. I won one lot that can be safely packed in a $10.95 flat-rate priority box and was charged $23 for postage (via UPS). It seems that at the end of the day, they are adding about another $10 in profit to the sale in postage differential. For a $90 bid, I was into them for $132 at the end of the day.

Just keep this in mind when you are bidding. You have to do the math and allow for the 20% add on premium, but then plan on another $20+ in postage if you are in the US. At the end of the day, it can really make a good deal, not so good...

mjp: yes, we should establish a thing like that.
But in this case, you don't need to feel bad: I was not too much "after" it and didn't even live-bet this time.
I just set a pre-bid and let things go. Of course, I'd be happier to pay less. But, hey, I set my maximum and got the item (close to it), so I don't complain.

The last publication of the Black Sparrow Press. Monfort's photos are pretty breathtaking. You hold this book in your hands and look at the photos and you feel like you are in the room with everyone. Good stuff.

Sorry to revive an ancient thread, but I own the final Montefort book and can't find any info on it. Doesn't seem to be known of or sought after, but I'd be interested to know its value. Any help or direction appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back