• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Bukowski / Montfort video tape (1 Viewer)

ROC

It is what it is
So I was reading this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Michael-Mo...ryZ29223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and was interested by his comments on the breakdowns...

"Copies 1 - 50 went to John Martin of Black Sparrow
Copies 51 - 100 went to photographer Michael Montfort
Copies 101 - 110 went to Linda Bukowski
The original intention was for every copy to be signed by one of the above, whether this was accomplished in any capacity is unknown, but this particular item, which is one of Michael Montfort's and given as a gift, was never signed."

I have copy 55 and it is signed by Montfort.
What do the other owners of this book have?

I think that the listing is wrong. I believe that all are signed by Montfort. I have a low number and it is signed by Montfort, not Martin.

I'm not sure where this person got this information, but I believe that it is wrong.

Bill

Interesting then that this copy is unsigned. Wonder what the reserve is? I always thought that was a strange choice to be the final BSP book.

am at home now (yes, that's where the unstable internet-connection is) and had a look at mine. it's no 89.

I always thought that was a strange choice to be the final BSP book.

doesn't it fit? to end up with Buk is reasonable. but would it be a hillarious end with one of these posthumous editions they've made? don't think so. this is something special, so it's a fair 'goodbye'.

little remark:
it seems, MM had to fight for some of the pics to make their way into the book. it were some of the pics, where Buk is seen with alcohol. I always wondered, why JM would have an interest to surpress this kind of images, given Buk's well known reputation as a drinker.

That book is worth at least $330. That is now much it cost to make that one. They were very high end and really beautifully done. Slipcase and all.. I would be surprised if the reserve was less. There used to be some copies on abe, but they seem to all be gone.

Bill

i have copy #106, signed by montfort only.
as a sidenote: they should have issued this extremely white book with a box of powder-free latex gloves!

Of course, mine is sealed air tight, but yes, I would need to break out the white gloves the next time I open it. Also, if you touch the photos you will leave finger oils on them that will show up as fingerprints. Sad to say, that with a book like this, I would actually suggest wearing gloves....

Bill

That book is worth at least $330. That is now much it cost to make that one. They were very high end and really beautifully done. Slipcase and all.

I'm curious how you know this, Bill. Granted, you're in the industry, so I suppose you have connections to people who have this sort of information. What was the original selling price?

Although the dollars were different, any idea how much it would have cost to produce another Monfort-related publication such as Horsemeat? In 1982, that sold for $150.

Roni - you are killing me!!

I was intending on buying this copy as I haven't seen another one anywhere and with the interesting connection to BSP I thought it was important for my collection.

BUT ... if you can arrange them direct from MM ... well ... I'm TORN!

So no-one has ever seen an unsigned one before? Interesting.

PBBUK

When this was first issued, copies turned up on ebay for around $200. Wish I'd have bought one then... another woulda coulda shoulda I suppose.

There was a party at Linda's house in 2001, I believe. They projected many of these photos on the side of the house. I had a friend that was there. Apparently John Martin said at the party that he was going to do a final photo book taking the best of these photos.

The entire edition was meant to be given away. There was no price listed as none were for sale. I have it on great authority that the book cost $33,000 to produce. That is not a surprise. A high quality slipscased foll color photo book like this (limited to only 110 copies) would have been expensive. They really spared no expense.

Also, my number was wrong. $33,000 / 110 is $300 each.

Still, I can imagine that if you went to a quality bookbinder and presented them with something like this and asked to get a quote, it would be very high. The setup costs would be astronomical for a print run of 110. If he printed 1000 of them, the price per would certainly have come down.

I remember reading somewhere that the Black Sparrow Graphic Arts stuff never made money and those sold for a big chunk of change. Still, if you go all out and make something amazing, it costs money.

Bill

$33,000 / 110 is $300 each.
So they are mounted photos (as opposed to offset printed)? That would explain much of the production cost. If there are 30 photos in the book (I don't know the number, that's just a guesstimate) that's 3300 large color prints...

I know where you can get two small black and white Montfort prints for a paltry $79. ;)

No they are not mounted prints, but printed photos. Still, that has to be very expensive and on very heavy paper.

Sorry, it seems that I gave the impression that they were mounted photos.

Bill

couple of weeks ago, he asked me about possibilities to sell some of his remaining ones through my little webshop. also asked for advice on a price. couldn't tell him much then.

now, since the ebay-one didn't find potential buyers for more than 350.-USD, i guess this won't create any deal, as i'm PRETTY sure that's far beneath Montforts price. i guess he wouldn't part with them under a grand. (and would definitely understand that.)

anyway. my webshop is being programmed new at the moment and i hope before end of May i'll be able to present it in a more professional way than now. by that time i will definitely go back to MM and offer him to sell his books through that webshop on commission. if i remember to do so, i'll tell you here as soon as things are online.

good news from Montfort:

he just called me, said he found an old video-tape, where he's interviewing Buk for several hours. Will visit him next Month to work out, if this could make a DVD and who could make it. (Maro doesn't have capabilities for this, Zweitausendeins would be a try.)

Will keep you informed.

sign0200.gif

good news from Montfort:

he just called me, said he found an old video-tape, where he's interviewing Buk for several hours. Will visit him next Month to work out, if this could make a DVD and who could make it. (Maro doesn't have capabilities for this, Zweitausendeins would be a try.)

Will keep you informed.

Are we talking about the unreleased German Cosmopolitan interview?

good news from Montfort:

Will keep you informed.

That would really be something! Let's hope it works out. It will be a shame if the interview never comes out on DVD...

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we talking about the unreleased German Cosmopolitan interview?

Don't think so. He indicated, it would be a totally different one, than that for Cosmo. In the one, we're talking about now, it seems he himself asked Buk questions. (for the Cosmo interview, he only developed the questions and filmed, but the interviewer was Francis.)

How does Montfort sound? How is he doing?

He sounded better than usual. Excited. Maybe running across this forgotten tape pushed him up.

What great news about the newly found videotape. Let's hope it's put on DVD whole, not edited down. Here's to Monfort ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back