Bukowski notebooks? (1 Viewer)

I wondered if any of you had come across references to Bukowski using notebooks. I know he composed a lot of stuff directly on typewriters (and later on word processor) but did he also use notebooks? Anything in the archives on this?
I mean notebooks as a place for ideas and lines and rough drafts, not a diary.
Apologies if this is a duplicate thread. I did try searching before opening this topic but ended up with a hundred hits on "Wine-Stained Notebook..."
Any thoughts?

Yep, he used notebooks, especially in 1964. Can't recally why, but he did use them. He also wrote a few poems in notebooks when he had TB and spent some time in the hospital.

Also in 'Women', when he's with the King-sisters, his character uses a notebook (which he throws away, hoping it gets found by a passer-by when he gets lost in the woods).

Don't start now about Bukowski not being Chinaski. You may just not get it.

Also in 'Women', when he's with the King-sisters, his character uses a notebook (which he throws away, hoping it gets found by a passer-by when he gets lost in the woods).

Don't start now about Bukowski not being Chinaski. You may just not get it.
That part you mentioned was so funny! :)

HENRY CHINASKI, MINOR
POET, FOUND DEAD IN
UTAH WOODS

Henry Chinaski, former post office clerk turned writer, was found in a decomposed state yesterday afternoon by forest ranger W. K. Brooks Jr. Also found near the remains was a small red notebook which evidently contained Mr. Chinaski's last written work . . .

After recovering a bit I noticed a pier that went out over the reservoir. I walked out on the pier and came to a large metal box bolted to the side of the pier. It was locked with a padlock. There was probably a telephone in there! I could phone for help!

I went and found a large rock and started smashing it against the lock. It wouldn't give. What the hell would Jack London do? What would Hemingway do? Jean Genet?

I kept smashing the rock against the lock. Sometimes I missed and my hand hit the lock or the metal box itself. Skin ripped, blood flowed. I gathered myself and gave the lock one final blow. It opened. I took it off and opened the metal box. There was no telephone. There were a series of switches and some heavy cables. I reached in, touched a wire, and got a terrible shock. Then I pulled a switch. I heard the roar of water. Out of 3 or 4 of the holes in the concrete face of the dam shot giant white jets of water. I pulled another switch. Three or four other holes opened up, releasing tons of water. I pulled a third switch and the whole dam let loose. I stood and watched the water pouring forth. Maybe I could start a flood and cowboys would come on horses or in rugged little pickup trucks to rescue me. I could see the headline:

HENRY CHINASKI, MINOR POET, FLOODS UTAH COUNTRYSIDE IN ORDER TO SAVE HIS SOFT LOS ANGELES ASS.

I love it! <3

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading in the letters that he switched to the typer because he wouldn't be able to read his drunken handwriting the following day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back