bukowski: novel vs poetry (1 Viewer)

what do you think buk was better at, writing novels or poetry?

(this site is muy interactive, i have a little text rectangle at the top of my browser reminding me to post. pretty bad ass.)

I think he made a huge contribution with his poetry. He did indeed, as his German translator CWeisner said, 'liberate it from the hands of the academics'.

But his novels and short stories do too bring much added enjoyment to my days.

Peace

I think the guy was a little better at telling stories. I'm not really into his poems that read more like poetry. It's the ones that are like stories that get me, and his novels are just nuts. Could get lost in them.
It's nice to get a sense of him, he was pretty sensitive for all his fighting and whatnot- so I guess all his stuff is pretty great, but I think his voice shines more in his story stuff.

I agree. His poetry is good, some of it's great, but every single one of his novels is tremendous.

I can't get enough of his poetry. His simple yet profound messages get me every time. His novels make me laugh, his poems make me think...and laugh.

His short stories was a killer for me, when i read it for the first time. But i don't know if i like more his prose or his poetry. Perhaps both are genius.

I can't choose. I like it all! Novels, short stories, poems, drawings. It was however, the novels and short stories that got me started. I wonder if I had got into Buk, had I started with the poems. Hmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he does well with all of it. His poetry is like an ultra short story. So much truth and feeling written about the moment. I do enjoy the novels the best though. Or maybe the short stories. Nah. Gotta be the poems. . .

So i was going through youtube
i think you can't classify buk....he was a true artist- song, novels, short stories, poetry, crazy drawings...
but if i had to choose i would say poet...
just because of his descriptions and word choices.

I think the guy was a little better at telling stories. I'm not really into his poems that read more like poetry. It's the ones that are like stories that get me, and his novels are just nuts. Could get lost in them.
It's nice to get a sense of him, he was pretty sensitive for all his fighting and whatnot- so I guess all his stuff is pretty great, but I think his voice shines more in his story stuff.

agreed

I like his novels, they are written without apology

this one good too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back