Bukowski quote on boxing (2 Viewers)

Hello fellow Bukowskinistas! I'm trying to find the source of a Buk passage I read a few years ago. Can't place it on any of his books that I own. The passage concerns the act of writing, and compares it to boxing. If I remember rightly he envisions the typewriter as an opponent that you have to keep hammering at even when defeat becomes desirable. Ultimately you need to lay down the phrase that finishes the story off, like a good hook, and he uses the way Jersey Joe Wolcott put his opponents down as a demonstration of how it should be done. This is all paraphrased from a very unreliable memory, but if it seems at all familiar I'd appreciate your help.

Na zdrowie!

[...] the act of writing, and compares it to boxing [...]
This is not exactly what you're looking for, but somehow related:

In a 1963 letter zu Jon and Louise Webb, Bukowski writes:
"... I remember when I was very young, Hem used to work out in the ring, you know, and I always dreamed that I would volunteer to sit in the opposite corner, and in my dream, of course, I kayoed HEMINGWAY, and therefore I was a greater writer, I was a greater everything..."

Funny thing is, that years later he worked this into a story ('Class' in: 'South Of No North').

Thanks for your reply. Funnily enough Class was the first text I looked at when trying to find the quote. While the one you've shared isn't the one I've been looking for, it's still very insightful and will also be of use in the piece I'm trying to write. If that letter was published could you also tell me which collection it's in?

Thanks again. Class was a hysterical story.

I like the advertisement on the left to "Re-elect Sheriff WM. Traeger." He was sheriff from 1921 to 1932. The tagline tells you a lot about Los Angeles in the 20s and 30s (and every decade since): "EFFICIENCY WITHOUT BRUTALITY."

Hollywood-Legion-Stadium.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back