Bukowski tattoos (1 Viewer)

I've been waiting to get a portrait of Bukowski tattooed on me for a while. The waiting list for the artist I'm using is crazy. Close to a year. In the meantime, what portrait should I use? I'm torn between 3. I'm not going to post what ones until I see what people suggest. Curious.

The artist who is doing it is named Jamie MacKay. He's from Harve Boucher which is in Nova Scotia - where I'm from. I already have a portrait of my other hero, Cobain. He's on my music thigh. Buk is going on the other.

Here is my Cobain for those interested:

Untitled-1.jpg

I'm not trying to be a dick - I really do love the Canadian people as a race or a species or whatever you are - but I never understood why really hairy people got tattoos. The mind boggles at what that tattoo must look like most of the time. Probably a lot like that picture of bigfoot in the forest...you know the one.

About which part?

Bro, don't misunderstand, I think the tattoo is rad. It looks like the Gerber baby, and that's pretty awesome in my book.

When's your stand up special on HBO air?

Never fails. There's people like you on every board. Sad, really.

Anyways, if anyone wants to add anything constructive, that'd be sweet.
I'd love to hear some opinions on Buk portraits.

I'm not trying to be a dick - I really do love the Canadian people as a race or a species or whatever you are - but I never understood why really hairy people got tattoos. The mind boggles at what that tattoo must look like most of the time. Probably a lot like that picture of bigfoot in the forest...you know the one.

Christopher, it is a good tattoo. Don't take it so bad...:DD

What's to understand, mjp? what's wrong with petting your tattoo?
Personally I would love to see Kurt with hair coming out of his eyes.

Five years ago I got a Bukowski tattoo I really love

267128_2177713083016_2026357_o.jpg
nmn.jpg

..now I see the image broke..so, I'll upload it again :)
The three in one was taken five years ago, and in the second picture is how it looks today.
Cheers.

Funny, a Google alert just lead me to the illustration that's the origin of that tattoo.

an-art-student-brings-bukowskis-poem-bluebird-to-life-01-758x521.jpg

Still a terrible tattoo. Now it's just a terrible tattoo based on a terrible drawing.

My son was in Seoul Ink in Korea to get something done when he saw this in the artist porte folio. Next appointment, he will ask if he knows Buk.
It is on page 4.

[Removed link that is no longer active.]

1028298577_0bHuQYPm_EC82ACEC9EA5EB8B98_EBAFB8EAB5AD_EBB09CEC8389.jpg

I like that "What matters most..." one, but the lettering she picked is unfortunate. Too bold/thick and small. It won't be legible in a couple of years. :(

It's a badass tattoo too, with badass placement.

The phrase has a good meaning in the story, but it doesn't work as a tattoo (stripped of context) for me.
It takes all kinds to make a world, apparently.

When people ask the person what the meaning of the tattoo is it´ll be a long explanation - "You see, there's this short story in which..." :D I wonder why the person wanted this particular line which does´nt make any sense on its own.

(unfinished)

Long time lurker here, and huge Bukowski fan. Wanted to pass this along and get some thoughts on my recent "Leg Sleeve." As I mentioned, still incomplete, but a small publisher recently did a spotlight on it so I thought I would share with the board and maybe get Sara some more feedback and (hopefully) love from the Bukowski community.

Here's the poem: https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/let-it-enfold-you/

She read the poem, and put it into my skin, with complete autonomy.

I can post pics on the forum, but here's the imgur album:
Here's the piece done by a poetry reviewer/blogger I follow, allows for a bit more insight: https://georgedanderson.blogspot.com/2018/11/new-buk-tattoo-alexander-rane-let-it.html?m=1

and here's the Reddit post in case anyone feels it's worth an upvote :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/tattoos/comments/9ul0r2/literary_tattoo_bukowskis_let_it_enfold_you_done/

Would love to hear feedback, we've got a lot left to do, will definitely update again once it's finished - just wanted to share a sneak peak - she read the poem and created all of this, I am completely amazed at how badass she is!

Look forward to hearing your input!
-A.

get some thoughts on my recent "Leg Sleeve."
Can I start with a question? Pants have legs, not sleeves, so shouldn't a tattoo covering your leg be called a leg tattoo? I don't know, I'm not hep to all the lingo you kids throw around. I still don't know where to find the on-ramp to the Information Superhighway in my town.

But I know when someone can't draw. I'm sorry man, but I looked at the many pictures of your tattoo, and I'm trying to find something positive to say, but I'm afraid I can't. I can't say that's a good tattoo, or a well done tattoo, or a tattoo that's pleasant to look at. It's poorly conceived, poorly drawn, poorly scratched onto your skin - there's nothing there that looks good.

I understand that people who have the desire to become tattooers have to learn how to tattoo somehow, and they can really only learn by permanently marking other humans. That's unfortunate. But for something covering that much of your body, you really should have gone to a professional.

On the bright side, the sleeve of your pants will usually be covering it.

I was going to mention that in all likelihood you've tattooed more than a few John Martin words on your leg, along with Bukowski's words, but it probably doesn't matter, since much of the text in your tattoo is unreadable.

I was just going to ignore his post but uh stepped right up and hit a home run therr gentlemen. Game over. Nothing left to say.

He asked.

I feel bad for a lot of people who have bad tattoos - and most tattoos are bad tattoos - but if they like them, then I suppose they're okay. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Cry for me. I've got some bad ones. 30 years ago I decided that I, too, could be a tattoo artist. It was taught then that you had to practice on yourself. The rest is history...uh, no...its still there on my leg. I actually got to be good, but its a dull life. I had to quit.

Here comes the guy with a different, more gentle oppinion on your legwork: I like it.

Well, I must admit, that I am not into tattoos at all, so I don't "like" it in the way of some art I would want on my own body.

But I do like the obvious devotion that you have for Bukowski and that poem covering your whole leg with it. I can't remember having ever seen such a huge body-part tattooed with just one subject. This takes some devotion and crazyness (in a good way, like: "some people never go crazy - what truly horrible lifes they must lead.").

Also don't find the drawing bad. I like it. Not on my body. But as an interpretation of the poem with a difficult to handle technique (as a tattoo of that size and shape [a pillar in fact] is.

Don't let the other kids drag you down for it. It sure isn't everybody's favorite, but it sure is one very special thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back