Bukowski tattoos (2 Viewers)

That's what I was thinking too. He even got the font... Buks writing style...down pat.
It's really very impressive considering it was all done on a moving target.

it just occurred to me that that tattoo artist should go into business forging buk's signature. seriously, it looks more authentic than any forgery i've seen, and that's with an ink gun on human skin.
Yeah, but tattoo artists cheat these days, using a Xerox/transfer system - kind of like the temporary tattoo you used to get in a box of Cracker Jacks (if you're a million years old) or cereal. So all they are really doing is tracing over the lines that are on the skin.

That's why there are so many awful tattoo "artists" now, as opposed to 50 years ago when you had to actually have some skill to do a good tattoo.

I wasn't, but we all know that Buk said Mickey Mouse had no soul. He did'nt mind drinking from a Mickey Mouse cup though (B.I.T.)...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Elise! I looked at his site. His drawings are just great! The ones in color of Bob Dylan and Keith Richards have a nice Van Gogh feel to them...

Check out this one:

kat_t2.jpg

Actually, this one isn't mine. There some new show on called "LA Ink" and it's one of those tattoo shows. I could stand to watch enough of it to see someone get an downtown LA skyline tattoo that I thought was a good idea. So I checked out the web site of the show, and the number 1 chick, the hot one with tats, did this Bukowski tat. I guess she's known for portraits.

Anyway, thought it was a good looking one...

-jeremy

Yes, it's fairly well done, although the chin and the pupil in his eye are'nt totally correct. I couldn't help comparing it to the original photo on the cover of Tales Of Ordinary Madness...

I like the first tatoo best. That was my first thought: is it copyright infringment? Is having his words inked into your skin "publication" or illegal reproduction, or might it be considered a "fair use" copy, for personal reference?

mjp: they still make those fake tats for kids. My grandson had some Spiderman ones on the other day. I do remember the cereal box ones. I'm a million years old.

Actually, this one isn't mine. There some new show on called "LA Ink" and it's one of those tattoo shows. I could stand to watch enough of it to see someone get an downtown LA skyline tattoo that I thought was a good idea. So I checked out the web site of the show, and the number 1 chick, the hot one with tats, did this Bukowski tat. I guess she's known for portraits.

Anyway, thought it was a good looking one...

-jeremy

I just looked at the site to see what you were talking about and I thought they were all pretty hot.

That tat looks just amazing! Kudos!
I love bodymod culture, glad to see Buk fans are not prejudiced against this kind of expression.

I'll speak for myself, and say that it usually varies with the artist, but there is
usually a minimum, something like fifty dollars, then the hourly kicks into effect,
and you might expect to pay upwards of fity an hour. Prices vary, your mileage
may vary.

And let me be the next to say that's a right cool tat.

Bukowski tattoo

I know it's a cliche thing, but I'd love to have one of his sayings, "what matters most is how well you walk through the fire." (i might have misquoted that.) Anyway, anyone have a good image of this I could take to the shop? Please don't be judgemental, i've heard it all before, but Bukowski has always inspired me to push through the hell, with style.

Thanks everyone.

As long as you don't go for a portrait of buk. I think a tat' with one of his sayings in an old typewriter style font would look pretty sweet

Here's how it appears at the end of "how is your heart?" from 'You Get So Alone At Times That It Just Makes Sense'.

what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire.

BTW I tried to scan the back cover of "What Matters Most..." but my scanner is on the blink. The image on the back cover is a billboard, I think one of the poets-anonymous ones, with the above excerpt.

In guess the typescript will also depend on where you want your tattoo done. I think the sentence can look pretty neat if tattooed on the top of your back (that's my opinion only, of course).

Will you post a picture of the finished work please?

I believe all tatoos to be by and large an ERROR!

All tatoos should be put on your bedroom WALL!

but, who cares what i believe?
tattoos, perhaps?

Now's a very good time in history to get a tattoo, much better than it was 2 years ago. Because now tattoo artists have Freedom-2, an ink that makes removing an unwanted tattoo alot easier than it's ever been.

Petey

What the hell was that tattooed on that man's hand? I couldn't make it out. I lasted 4 minutes. That was a boring piece of shit video. Bad lighting, bad camera work. Youtube annoys the shit out of me. Everyone thinks their life is so exciting that every move they make should be documented and posted on-line.

Any update or
Pics of This?

Any tattoo shop will have a sample of many different fonts to choose from, just bring them the text. Don't dictate it, print it out and bring them a copy. A misquote would suck.

Tattoo

I finally got started on getting my Bukowski tattoos. I plan on getting a half-sleeve eventually. Probably after college, if and when I have the money.

Some of you may know there's a band named Hot Water Music, well I got a tattoo of their logo on my ribs, because Hot Water Music was the first thing that I ever read by Bukowski. I picked the color scheme though. The copy of HWM that I have, has these great reds blues and yellows, so I kind of went with that.

Due to the location of the tattoo, it's hard to really get a good picture that wouldn't be considered NSFW but I did the best I could.

tattooo3.jpg

tattoopost2.jpg

i don't know, off the top of my head, and late for work, what NSFW means,
but i like that you placed an important tattoo for you next to your heart.

have a nice day,
-
04EA619E62BA6818D65FF36E102F5703.png

NSFW (not suitable for work) as in, if you were in an office it would be bad to look at.

And that is exactly why I got it on my ribs, so that it would be close to my heart. Left side and everything.

Elise,

That's very colorful. What exactly does the logo mean? HWM has been around a long time come to think of it. I forgot about them. Were they hardcore?

I was curious about that logo because I could piece together the flame and the water, but I didn't understand what the music symbol might be. So I looked around online a little. The HWM logo's that I've seen all have the word 'music' written under the symbols. Will you be getting that or are you just sticking to what you've got?

Shane

Sometimes it has music underneath it and sometimes it doesn't. I wasn't quite sure about getting the music or not. I kind of like it without it, but I might eventually add it on. I was thinking of getting a quote on the inside of my arm, and I didn't want too much text next to each other. We'll see how it pans out.

IMO It looks cool the way it is. Without any music. A Capella. (SP?)
It is also less likely that someone would think it is a band tribute, but uh, being where it is... maybe mass exposure is not an issue. Then again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back