Bukowski wrote haikus? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

javier

I was reading some poems on a magazine and there was an article about haikus, and the guy said these belonged to Bukowski, I think he was mistaken, I've never heard of Bukowski ever writing haikus, what you think? He wrote them?

Tequila at dawn
Poured over your naked skin
No lemon and salt

Just how many dreams
Will I see breaking apart
Before I can die?

I'm horny, she said
So what, answered him surprised
Oh, please, just shut up

Alabama song
New York through the looking-glass
Los Angeles burns

Watercolor eyes
The canvas dreams your profile
Wild painting at dusk

Garden of Eden
Nakednes and joy: Nature
Shit, here comes the snake

If that's Bukowski, I'm from Alabama running through the Garden of Eden with tequila on my nakedness and joy...

now now, let's not be overly hasty here.

if you take a close look at the third haiku, you'll notice an unmistakable waft of Bukowskian ennui, if you will...

uh, no. they ain't Buk.

What they are is really lame Bukowski imitations, not to mention bad haiku. Bukowski could never be drunk enough to write the line "So what, answered him surprised" -- that reveals an utter lack of skill with language.

Okay, thanks for the answers. I must confess: I wrote them. I was curious to know if I could trick you guys, but you seem to know better. In fact I wrote them a few days ago in a rush of creativity, and the last thing in my mind was Bukowski, but I wondered what a Buk fan would thing about them, I guess I get the idea.

Now, before you start bashing me, you should realize that a haiku is a very difficult type of poem. I just love the Alabama one, it's really cool.

rhyming poem:

the goldfish sing all night with guitars,
and the whores go down with the stars,
the whores go down with the stars

I'm sorry, sir, we close at 4: 30,
besides yr mother's neck is dirty,
and the whores go down with the etc.,
the whrs. go dn. with the etc.

I'm sorry jack you can't come back,
I've fallen in love with another sap,
3/4 Italian and 1/2 Jap,
and the whores go
the whores go
etc.

I had no idea!

Why should you? Sometimes not even myself is fully aware of what's going on inside me head, so dont be tough on yourself.

You're clever.

I can't complain, I scored an IQ of 114 at school . I was 13 years old by then, I guess I must be around 120 nowadays.

You must be older than 40, right?

There's no correlation between age and IQ, mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, try to tell a whole story in 3 lines of 5,7 and 5 syllables each, no piece of cake. And using your third language makes things worse. And then go to a Bukowski forum and pretend the whole thing was written by him... who needs sudokus for some harmless intellectual stimulation?

I read the haikus
at least one person likes them
no accounting taste

Yes, dirty old man
You all are heading that road
Like Bukowski was

Well, I got to go
Remember: on your way out
Please dont knock the door

Okay, thanks for the answers. I must confess: I wrote them. I was curious to know if I could trick you guys, but you seem to know better. In fact I wrote them a few days ago in a rush of creativity, and the last thing in my mind was Bukowski, but I wondered what a Buk fan would thing about them, I guess I get the idea.

Now, before you start bashing me, you should realize that a haiku is a very difficult type of poem. I just love the Alabama one, it's really cool.

Javier: had I known you wrote them yourself, I would have been kinder. But you didn't tell us that, so you got honest instead of kind. Honest may do you more good as a writer. Haiku is difficult to do well, agreed. It was easy to tell Buk didn't write these; they don't feel a thing like his work. They don't exude his presence, and the mastery is not there.

Mr. Javier, I hope your "rush of creativity" is over for now..
A genius am I
So thinks Marina del Rey
Oh please, I just blushed

Some haikus I wrote,
Buk the author was, I said
And they took the bait

Javier: had I known you wrote them yourself, I would have been kinder. But you didn't tell us that, so you got honest instead of kind. Honest may do you more good as a writer. Haiku is difficult to do well, agreed. It was easy to tell Buk didn't write these; they don't feel a thing like his work. They don't exude his presence, and the mastery is not there.
Yes David, I agree, they dont have any Bukowsquian soul, I was just on an experimental mood, and wanted to see your reaction, to see if I could pull off the trick.

I think this forum could add some place where forumites could show their stuff, to make things more interesting, I am sure many of you have some poems under the pillow. And I'll drop a last haiku while I bid you farewell:

Write me a raincheck
No matter if it's no good
Just write me something

how can you take bait
when there's nothing on the hook
and such a dull hook...

javier, it was wisely decided by mjp a while back to not allow member poetry. this is a Bukowski site, and us pimping our poesy would take away from that.

there are plenty of friendly writing forums out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back