• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Cheap copy of At Terror Street... (2 Viewers)

[...] don't you trust Eisenberg and Freyermuth?

no, I'm sure she's just curious, since I'm a German and would know.

I do have the German edition 'Das War's' and like it. Of course the quotes were translated from the English original, while, Gundolf's own German text was written by him in his native languge. He's not only a nice guy, but also a trustworthy (accurate) journalist.

Haven't read the English version, but sure Hank's quotes weren't re-translated from the (earlier) German book, but taken from the original interview.

Alas, the English version doesn't have the photographs by MM.

One funny episode is a party at 'Spago's in 1985, where Gundolf first met Hank and whitnessed Hank insulting Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The main part of the book is about his meeting with him just half a year before he died. Long interview and going to his birthday-party in the bookshop of Mrs. Kowalsi (sp?).

Das War's is worth getting for the pictures alone. The translation is funny, after just about every answer he gives, Bukowski says, "That's it?" as if he could will the interview to be over.

Ok, back to the original thread. The book went for $122.00 or something. Taking the sticker off was a dumb idea of mine, but it's fun that I wasn't the only one who thought it might be fun. May the winning bidder feel happy about the purchase....

I maybe overpaid 20 or 30 bucks, but very happy to get it. One I've always wanted and condition isn't my primary motivation.
Not as nice as the last PBA copy but nice enough for me.

Haven't read the English version, but sure Hank's quotes weren't re-translated from the (earlier) German book, but taken from the original interview.
Allow me to properly clarify: Gundolf wrote his English version, but realized that his style of writing in English was rather stiff. So what he wanted me to do was to modify the STYLE without changing the CONTENT. Specifically, he wanted the style to read less "formal." I never saw the German language version of Gundolf mss. While I can speak basic German (VERY basic - enough to serve as a Trauzeuge at a friend's wedding in Hamburg), I lack the fluency to read text in that language. What Gundolf appreciated was the care that I took in rendering his narrative into a less formal "voice" - without in any way changing the meaning/emotion/content itself. I did that editing job long ago, but remember quite vividly how challenging it was.

I maybe overpaid 20 or 30 bucks, but very happy to get it. One I've always wanted and condition isn't my primary motivation.
Not as nice as the last PBA copy but nice enough for me.

Going off of my personal scale of what things are worth in the cosmos, $115 for that seems like a keeper and then some. Nice score Adam!

That's a lot of money for a trashed library copy, but what the hell. It's still a very cool book.

About Martin's publishing Bukowski: there was never much risk in doing that, financially. Bukowski ALWAYS sold well, from the get go. Any editor could publish Bukowski and sell out immediately. The work was that good. It did not take balls to be his champion. It was just smart business.

I don't know. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that starting a poetry publishing house is "smart business." From a purely business standpoint, only an idiot would start a publishing house with a roster of nothing but poets. You'd have to really like what you're doing, because the idea of becoming wealthy through it is laughable. No one gives a shit about poetry.

Selling "well" is subjective. Let's not forget that he never sold in large numbers in America. Black Sparrow's first printings were small, even for his novels after Bukowski became "famous" (Ham on Rye, for example; 9000 copies), and there were brand new unsold copies of Crucifix in book stores as late as the 80s.

Over a decade the most popular Bukowski title might sell 50,000 copies in the U.S. That's a lot of copies, but the latest New York Times bestseller probably sells 50,000 copies every month. Or every week for a big brand name author.

All of that might sound like a case for Martin as a passionate champion of the arts. It's not something I happen to believe, but I can see how it might look that way.

Somewhere (online interview?) I remember John Martin saying he wanted Black Sparrow to be like New Directions. That's a pretty high bar. The 1960s and 1970s seemed more open to poetry publishing than, say, today's market is. Buncha hippie draft dodgers in university, and all of them "poets", back then.

(Can't seem to upload a 1972 NOLA ad from Black Sparrow. Lots of titles. I just get a red error message. Been the same for a few days.)

I'd have to know what the error message said to be of any help.

But in the meantime I've turned off the "Flash uploader," so maybe that will help.

Okay that works. I've probably already uploaded this. But here it is again. 1972 ad for Black Sparrow.

ad nola ex 110 July 7-20 1972 2.JPG

mjp, you're right. It would have been more accurate if I'd have said Bukowski sold very well, for poetry. I think the situation with unsold new copies of Crucifix in bookshops in the 70s/early 80s, is that the book was considered expensive at the time, and most of the readers of poetry were penniless hippies and students for whom $2 for a chapbook was a major purchase. I remember wanting but not buying some of Bukowski's chapbooks and little magazine appearances because I didn't have the $1 or $2 cover price. My rent, 2 blocks from the beach in Long Beach, was $60 a month in 1968, just for comparison. I was making $1.00 an hour at my part time library job.

I'm not saying Martin thought he would get rich publishing Bukowski, just that if you were going to publish poetry in the 60s, Bukowski was a very good choice because the work was excellent, readers were interested, and the books would sell. It was smart of him to take on Bukowski. He deserves credit for promoting Bukowksi early on, for seeing the quality and potential there. He was more savy than the average small press editor. The promise of $100 etc. was risky, I doubt many editors would have done that, even for Bukowski. Martin believed in Bukowski, as an artist, and as a writer who could sell books. He may have seen the potential for Bukowski to go big time and be a commercial success. The sloppy, low grade, cavalier editing makes me think selling the books was more important to Martin than what was in them, even though he thought Bukowski had a good line and could tell a story.

He may have seen the potential for Bukowski to go big time and be a commercial success.
Maybe. But he placed bets on a lot of writers, as you can see from the BSP bibliographies and the checklist of the first 100 publications. The "Martin started Black Sparrow to publish Bukowski" myth is pretty well busted when you look at those.

And hopefully we've put to rest the idea that $100 a month in 1970 "allowed" Bukowski to quit his job. It wasn't anywhere near enough to do that. It was a gesture, and yes, it was a risk on Martin's part. But it did what it was intended to do, which is help light the fire under Bukowski's ass. Leaving the job probably would have done that without the money from Martin, but Martin made the offer when he did, so the two things are forever intertwined.

Ok, I feel much better about this purchase than the Crusifix that went tonight for about the same money without the signature...

My max on that was 80. For some reason I loved that there was no signature and it was so wonky. Signed in that condition would have gone for at least 250 and not been so nearly as cool. Those PBA copies were a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back