City Lights Post Card - Any info on this reading? (1 Viewer)

1fsh2fsh

I think that I think too much
Founding member
got this City Lights postcard the other day , I don't know how well the scans will show up. on the back in what looks like a rubber stamp it says: BUKOWSKI?!FRI SEPT 10 V T RA S AUD VAN NESS & McAllister 7:30 $three....there is no year provided. so... a reading in S.F? what auditorium could this be? anyone know anything about this? nothing that I can find in the timeline on this date. whatcha think? :confused:

Attachments

• 54c9_1.jpg
    54c9_1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 034e_1.jpg
    034e_1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 209
This must be the "Poet's Theater" reading Buk gave in SF sponsored by Ferlinghetti and memorialized in the Taylor Hackford film "Bukowski." Not sure of the year of this though.

Hi David, the timeline shows the "poets theater" reading at 555 chestnut st. 9/14/72 so I'm not sure....

If it is Fri Sept 10 then it could be 1971 or 1976.

So it must be from the 1976 reading at the San Francisco War Memorial and Performing Arts Center, Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102. That's one from the timeline, but the date isn't there as I post this.

V T RA S AUD VAN NESS

VETERANS AUD(itorium)

The Veterans Auditorium, was refurbished and renamed as the Herbst Theatre in 1977.

This is a [clipped] card from the 1972 reading featured in Hackford's film:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 14_09_1972_post_card.jpg
    14_09_1972_post_card.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 330
got this City Lights postcard the other day , I don't know how well the scans will show up. on the back in what looks like a rubber stamp it says: BUKOWSKI?!FRI SEPT 10 V T RA S AUD VAN NESS & McAllister 7:30 $three....there is no year provided. so... a reading in S.F? what auditorium could this be? anyone know anything about this? nothing that I can find in the timeline on this date. whatcha think? :confused:

I got outbid on that one.... Damnit!!!!

Best,

Bill

Thanks HS great detective work! I'm sure that must be it. James & Bill, its in good hands...:D

Yes, thanks Hank Solo...I took a look at the Timeline and had no idea he had given so many readings in SF--had mistakenly assumed the Hackford one had been the only one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back