• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Clamshell Cases (1 Viewer)

Wow Bill,

Those are really beautiful. I don't own Terror Street but if I did I would
definitely buy one of these beauties. These are really classy.

:)

Bill: I know you're generous to a fault, but $55 may be too cheap for these. I've seen clamshells listed at $100 on ABE. At four or five hours each in labor, you're working for peanuts over minimum wage.

How about a postcard edition of the cork cover of IT CATCHES?

Hi,
I should sell a clamshell case for WRITE magazine and include a copy for $55!

Make that $5500 and it would probably be right (or is that WRITE?)

Once Abel finds the issue, I'll have the dimensions.

Bill: I know you're generous to a fault, but $55 may be too cheap for these. I've seen clamshells listed at $100 on ABE. At four or five hours each in labor, you're working for peanuts over minimum wage.

How about a postcard edition of the cork cover of IT CATCHES?

Hi David;
You are right, but I love the folks at Buk.net and would rather sell these for a bit less to people that I know and like than to anonymous people on ebay or elsewhere. The next one will be more as the corkskin is painfully expensive ($15 a sheet and a sheet covers one clamshell). Still, my prices will be a bit more for future books when the size is larger.

Also, I think that my handmade and custom designed ones are better than the soulless ones that are machine made and available on the internet (TCBL for example) for $165.

So, if I can offer what I think are better and for a better price, then I am happy. If I can find a way to cut down on the time that it takes, then I can drop the price.

Still, I'm having too much fun creating to worry about it yet...

Bill

It's smart to keep yourself busy when the wife is pregnant, at least for a few of those months.;)

That's a lot of fine work. Like the last hc you did.

And now . . .

Hi,
I have 6 orders for these so far. I'll send paypal invoices to those that expressed interest. Anyone else, please let me know. These are $70 in the US and $75 overseas. As you know they are oversized and the cork paper is really expensive. I can have these ready to ship early next week.

it1.JPG

it2.JPG

it3.JPG

it4.JPG

Happy Thanksgiving to all of those that celebrate it.

Bill

The cork paper is really beautiful.
Well done Bill.
Exceptional work.
Those are Sweeeet!:)

Likewise Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it.

Great work, Bill! It's absolutely beautiful! I love the cork paper and the title on the spine!
You have a PM!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap that looks pretty Bill. I wish I had a copy of It Catches to place in there...

Maybe I'll get away with a cheap one at a garage sale or something...

Gorgeous, Bill, just gorgeous. Hey, if you have a left over scrap of cork, just an inch wide or whatever, please print up an extra label with "IT CATCHES..." in letterpress on it for me. I'd love to have that. Just the words on cork would give me a buzz. I'll trade for something old and strange from my archives. I know I ask too much...

Hi,
I'll print a few extra labels. The first 5 people that ask will get one. Rekrab is already on the list, of course. This is just the little cork label that will go on the spine, not the book or clamshell.

Please e-mail to [email protected]. No need to add postage as this will weigh very little....

Bill

Thanks, Bill! It'll be a very classy label in search of a clamshell in need of a book. I'll consider it a placeholder for the copy of IT CATCHES that I hope to find cheap some day (I will, I have my methods...)

All of those that ordered clamshells should start receiving them on Monday or Turesday, with those outside the US taking a bit longer, but they are all in the air. I will announce a couple new ones some time next week.

Bill

which one?

Also, it looks like the next three will be...

Crucifix In A Deathhand
The Wedding
Cold Dogs In A Courtyard

The little chapbooks are just a little bit tougher than the regular ones. Something about working with very tiny sides, but they look pretty cool and without one of these it s pretty tough to house these on a bookshelf safely.

Bill

That's OK Bill. I really don't have anything I'd be willing to trade.

I meant what I said above in a "Yay! You kick ass, Bill. These are too tasty not to buy" kind of way.

As your wife is obviously aware, cash is king.

All of those that ordered clamshells should start receiving them on Monday or Turesday, with those outside the US taking a bit longer, but they are all in the air. I will announce a couple new ones some time next week.

That's great news, Bill! I'll be on the lookout for the mailman...:)

It Catches smells like Pine nuts and dryer sheets.
At Terror smells like love.

Also, I have heard about one copy of "At Terror Street" that is larger than my copy (and larger than Krumhansl notes). If your books do not fit for any reason, please let me know and I'll send a replacement. Especially with the early BSP and the Loujon, there is a possibility that sizes could vary.

Bill

bospress.net said:
Also, I have heard about one copy of "At Terror Street" that is larger than my copy (and larger than Krumhansl notes). If your books do not fit for any reason, please let me know and I'll send a replacement. Especially with the early BSP and the Loujon, there is a possibility that sizes could vary.

That's probably just Mullinax saying that "mine's bigger than yours." I'll let you know if there's a "size problem" Bill.
(I'll bet you've heard that before ;) ).

eric_nudge.jpg

Of course.

My "It Catches" clamshell arrived today.It's beautiful and very well made! I'm glad I bought it. Thanks, Bill!

Lucky people to have one of these rare books, and in a clamshell made by Bill. It's got me thinking maybe I should make a few clamshells for some of my favorite books, instead of the plastic bags they're now in (and no, I don't use washed out meat bags from the grocery store...that was my friend the photographer who made that mistake. Besides, my dog is too old and lazy and arthritic to get anything off a shelf. If it's not on the floor, he doesn't touch it.)

Hi,
Here are the latest three that I'll offer. I can ship these as soon as Monday after X-mas, as long as funds are received by X-Mas day. (Paypal to [email protected] or a check is fine, of course). My wife is staying in NY with the kids and that gives me all weekend to work on these.

The Wedding ($65 in the US/$70 overseas):
wedding1.JPG

wedding2.JPG

Crucifix In A Deathhand ($65 in the US/$70 overseas):
crucifix1.JPG

crucifix2.JPG

crucifix3.JPG

Cold Dogs in the Courtyard ($60 in the US/$65 overseas):
colddogs1.JPG

colddogs2.JPG

Please let me know. I'll probably to one for the Sparrow book set next along with Fire Station, unless anyone has a hot request...

Best,
Bill

p.s. all of these do have printed spines, but they are really not showing up well in the photos...

Clamshell Case

Bill, you are a perfectionist, a bibliophile and a genius. I am only one of the three - hint-I love books but store them anywhere where there is a shelf or floor and did not know how to tell time or tie my shoes until I was 11. Wore loafer shoes (good name for me) and a Timex watch as a staus symbol.
Got into Buk last year when I finally read at a third grade level.
I will contact you for some clamshell cases. Can I store my used razor blades with the books?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back