• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Clamshell Cases (2 Viewers)

I'd say about four hits of window pane, 2/3 of an eight-ball and a bologna sandwich with lime Jell-O. Yep, that's about where he was on that one. Nice job scoring that one, Chronic.

You guys need to keep in mind that clamshells are custom made to fit individual books. They're not one-size-fits-all.

Hi,
You are right. Unless there are variations that I do not know about. If I start making these (and I will probably do that), I will let you know what size the book that I am doing is. LouJon could have made books in slightly diifferent sizes as they were a more mom-and-pop publisher than BSP was. I do know that if I do clamshells for any BSP books, they should fit any other of the same title. Still, a clamshell for Septuagenarian Stew will not work with Burning in Water.

I think that I will look into doing clamshells for the two LouJon books, At Terror, & You Kissed. The thing that I need to do is order some of that cork paper. That would be the only way to do "It Catches" correctly.

Standby...

Bill

I think that I will look into doing clamshells for the two LouJon books, At Terror, & You Kissed. The thing that I need to do is order some of that cork paper. That would be the only way to do "It Catches" correctly.

Cool. I think that you are (will be) doing a great service that will be handsomely rewarded.

At Terror Street... has an idiosyncrasy for a wrappers edition, that you know, in that the covers extend past the pages edges on the right side of the covers, which separates the very fines from the fines and very goods. I really think that a thumb slot on the center spine side of the clamshell housing would help, so that you tilt the clamshell to spineside toward the floor (as one would normally hold it in the left hand, but one would need to use the right hand to hold it) and let gravity help when removing the book to aviod wrinking of the covers.

OK, I've made no sense...:rolleyes:

At Terror Street... has an idiosyncrasy for a wrappers edition...

I gottcha.

But you could do away with the thumb slot if you make them like mine; without the left side of the book supported when the case is open. This makes sense (to me) as, when the case is open, you are probably about to take the book out and if you went to the trouble of making and/or paying for a clammy, you are going to be very careful anyway so...

Well... you get my point.

When I get excited, I ramble.

And Bills got me all excited.

At Terror Street... has an idiosyncrasy for a wrappers edition, that you know, in that the covers extend past the pages edges on the right side of the covers, which separates the very fines from the fines and very goods.

The term for when the covers extend past the edges of the block is yapped. There... hope I learned you something.

chronic said:
thompson_sigs.jpg

Hey, Chronic. Check these out:

Thompson_FALComp1.jpg

Thompson_HA_Case_C22.jpg

And if anyone's into Kesey, there's this:

354193496.jpg

These clamshells are designed for specific titles, with imagery from their dustjackets embossed on the covers.

I don't own any of the clamshells pictured above, but I have had custom slipcases (not clamshells) made for a few of my signed HST & Kesey firsts.

My favorite is the red slipcase that houses my Numbered copy & Printer's copy of Screwjack together.

Beautiful job, Bill. I have my best books in plastic bags. Warning: never use a washed out grocery store meat bag. A guy loaned me a rare book that was in such a bag, for me to do some minor repairs on, and my dog was attracted by the meat smell. When I got home that day, the book was in 1,000 pieces, each chewed. It looked like the dead sea scrolls.

Warning: never use a washed out grocery store meat bag.
I can't imagine putting a book worth more than five cents into a used meat bag. I think your friend was a liiiittle bit mental. What did he save by using a meat bag? a dime? A quarter? That's the craziest thing I ever heard.

But it would make sniffing the bindings a little more pleasant. You know, if they smelled like steak.

mjp: no, he wasn't mental, not at all. He was a mechanical engineer, quite smart, very sane, and a photographer. The book was a rare issue of Camera Work, and I'm guessing using that washed out meat bag wasn't about saving money. He wasn't a book collector per se, and wasn't aware of standard methods of caring for books. Maybe he also didn't have a dog and didn't understand they will eat anything. Probably didn't know I had a dog, either. Still, it was a bad choice. Hope he didn't build any bridges using the same level of attention to detail. A hell of a nice guy, now dead. He worked on his photography with Ansel Adams. I felt lousy my dog ate his book. But you gotta admit that's a good bibliophile horror story.

clam1.JPG

clam2.JPG

clam3.JPG

Hi,
OK, I have 4 of these. I will gladly change the spelling of STREET to SREET for anyone lucky enough to have one of 17 of those copies. The price for the clamshell cases are $55, plus postage. Hell, for Bukowski.net members, I'll cover domestic postage and please add $5 for international postage.

For this one, I bought a nice Japanese bookcloth for the deep red. The off white is a domestic bookcloth.

These took longer than I thought. They take about 4 hours a piece, and that is better than the first one that took me nearly 8 hours.

Please let me know if you are interested by e-mailing me at [email protected]. If these are not sold here, I'll try one on ebay and see what happens. If they are a hit, I'll do "It Catches next. I have that corkskin on order now and it should be here in a few days. Then I have the 16 hours of work to make 4 of those....

Best,
Bill
(New Father, and new clamshell box maker)

p.s. anyone can return these if you are not happy with them, once received.

p.p.s. I should mention that this does not include the copy of the book, just the clamshell

p.p.p.s. The binding smells like magnolias....

one left.

If these sell, I'll make more. If interested, please e-mail me and I'll put you on the waitlist. I have enough material for two more and can buy more bookcloth if needed, but don't want to buy too much if it is not needed. The next two can be ready in a couple days. After those two, it will be at least a week for any other ones.

Thanks,
Bill

none left....

I'll make the last two tonight. Please let me know if you are in for those. Also, I can make more, but need to know who is in on that before I get the Japanese bookcloth for another 6 copies.

Best,
.Bill

They're beautiful, Bill! If only I had a copy of Terror Street...

Last edited by a moderator:
... p.p.s. I should mention that this does not include the copy of the book, just the clamshell

WHAT !!!
The book is NOT included !!!???
What a scam man! You try to rip us or what?

no really, they're beautiful.
now I have to rethink about buying 'Catches' just for the pleasure of getting your clamshell for it. Dammit!

Bill, I knew these would sell like hotcakes. Again .. when do you sleep?

When you make the clamshells for IT CATCHES, if you do a repro of the cork cover with the skeleton print, why not print up some extra corks for people who don't have the book but love that cover? Kind of a "wish you were here" postcard for impoverished bibliophiles. Just a thought...

They are Stunning Bill...
You are a true artist.
Please sign me up for "It Catches.."

and By the way, and I don't mean to scare you,
I think you should be cloned :>

You know what would be a great idea for one of these (in my humble opinion, of course)? One to house the four issues of Sparrow.

You know, in your free time. :rolleyes:

Hi,
That is really a great idea. I'll have to get on it.

Also, I expect to have the corkskin tomorrow, but it seems that my preorders for "It Catches" exceed 10 copies. I only had 5 skins sent as they are pricey. Once I do a mock-up, I'll post a picture and let those interested decide if they still are interested and if so, I'll get more corkskin.

I did a mockup of "Crucifix tonight and I like the general look of it a lot, but need to tweak it a bit.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back