David Barker Early Chapbooks for Sale (1 Viewer)

Rekrab

Usually wrong.
I recently found a small stash of extra copies of some of my earliest chapbooks from the 1970s. I'm offering these for sale here only. They are all first editions, first printings. Most are new, unread copies that have been in storage since publication. Due to age toning, fading and minimal edge wear on some copies, I would call them fine to near mint on average. A few exceptions that have soiling or creases and are Very Good are noted. I'll save these worn copies for last, so if you order early, you stand a better chance of getting a fine to mint copy. You can read detailed descriptions of these chapbooks in Bill Roberts' DAVID BARKER: A BIBLIOGRAPHY (Bottle of Smoke Press.) All are very rare and this may be your only chance to buy them. I will do combined shipping if you order several items. Shipping in the U.S. or to Canada, add $2. Shipping outside the U.S., add $6. Limited to one copy per title per person please. To order, send me a PM and I'll give you payment details. Signed upon request. Thanks.

Roberts #1 - 12 Poets and Their Cars (1972.) Chapbook of photographs of Long Beach poets. All have rusty staples. One copy is inscribed by me "to mom." $20 (5 copies)
Roberts #2 - Hot Rods of Spring (1973.) Mini chap collage poem. $5 (5 copies; 1 VG has soil and a crease.)
Roberts #3 - AERO (1973.) Mini chap collage with found text. $5 (6 copies)
Roberts #6 - Train Goes Slow But Gets There Rumba (1974.) Mini chap collage with found text. $5 (1 copy, VG with cover crease.)
Roberts #8 - Rumba: The Man Should Lead - And The Woman Should Follow (1975.) Chapbook collage with found text. One sheet, folded. $5 (3 copies)
Roberts #10 - Homage to Rambler (1975.) Chapbook collage poem. One sheet, folded. $5 (2 copies)

There are other early titles that I have extras of, but they need collating and binding, so I'll offer them later.

David Barker

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, these are ultra rare. Anyone that plans on ever owning one should consider picking these up. #1, #3, #10 especially are ones that I have been seeking for at least 6 years, but have never found a copy. This is likely due to their ephemeral nature.

Once these are gone, you will have a hell of a time locating them.

Bill

Update: Several people have ordered (thanks!) Here's what remains:

Roberts #1 - 12 Poets and Their Cars (1972.) Chapbook of photographs of Long Beach poets. All have rusty staples. One copy is inscribed by me "to mom." $20 (4 copies left)

Roberts #2 - Hot Rods of Spring (1973.) Mini chap collage poem. $5 (2 copies left; 1 is VG with soil and a crease.)

Roberts #3 - AERO (1973.) Mini chap collage with found text. $5 (3 copies left)

Roberts #6 - Train Goes Slow But Gets There Rumba (1974.)(SOLD OUT.)

Roberts #8 - Rumba: The Man Should Lead - And The Woman Should Follow (1975.) Chapbook collage with found text. One sheet, folded. $5 (2 copies left)

Roberts #10 - Homage to Rambler (1975.) (SOLD OUT.)

Like Bill said, order now if you want any of these as they will be very hard to find later. Few copies were printed, and most of those were given away to friends and fellow poets and editors. The only reason I have these now is my mom was a packrat and she squirreled them away years ago.

You people are amazing. They're going fast. Here's what's left:

Roberts #1 - 12 Poets and Their Cars (1972.) Chapbook of photographs of Long Beach poets. All have rusty staples. One copy is inscribed by me "to mom." $20 (3 copies left)

Roberts #2 - Hot Rods of Spring (1973.) Mini chap collage poem. $5 (1 left in VG with soil and a crease.)

Roberts #3 - AERO (1973.) Mini chap collage with found text. $5 (2 copies left)

Roberts #6 - Train Goes Slow But Gets There Rumba (SOLD OUT.)

Roberts #8 - Rumba: The Man Should Lead - And The Woman Should Follow (1975.) Chapbook collage with found text. One sheet, folded. $5 (1 copy left)

Roberts #10 - Homage to Rambler (SOLD OUT.)

AN UPDATE AND A BONUS...

Here's what's left tonight:

Roberts #1 - 12 Poets and Their Cars (1972.) Chapbook of photographs of Long Beach poets. All have rusty staples. One copy inscribed by me "to mom" remains, $20.

Roberts #2 - Hot Rods of Spring (SOLD OUT.)

Roberts #3 - AERO (1973.) Mini chap collage with found text. $5 (1 copy left.)

Roberts #6 - Train Goes Slow But Gets There Rumba (SOLD OUT.)

Roberts #8 - Rumba: The Man Should Lead - And The Woman Should Follow (SOLD OUT.)

Roberts #10 - Homage to Rambler (SOLD OUT.)

Everyone who ordered this weekend: your copies were shipped today.

Bonus: All orders get an original small watercolor painting or ink sketch by me -- my way of saying "thank you." The orders shipped today included paintings. Hang them on your wall, throw darts at them, trade them for cheap wine.

I'm blown away by how fast these chapbooks disappeared.

AN UPDATE AND A BONUS...

Bonus: All orders get an original small watercolor painting or ink sketch by me -- my way of saying "thank you." The orders shipped today included paintings. Hang them on your wall, throw darts at them, trade them for cheap wine.

That is Uber cool of you David. Thank you!

Quirky, quality work goes fast around these parts apparently. Got mine today (didn't realize you were so close!), thanks. Keep publishing for those of us who can't catch up to the stuff in the middle ;)

Oh and the painting was a nice surprise. We don't have any darts here, so I suppose it'll have to go up on the wall. Either that or I'll add it to my small press folder pages...

Yeah, I'm just a bit south of you. I get up there once in a while and always try to get over to Powells Books. I've been a Powells customer since it was a one room shop down by the river. You wouldn'r believe the stuff you could buy on their shelves back in the 70s. OUTSIDER magazine issues for $10 a copy. All the Black Sparrow Press Bukowski hardcovers you could want. Etc. It was like paradise, except I was always penniless and selling to them, instead of buying. But that's how it always is.

I think that you just did! In addition, David may still have copies of his latest book, YOU'LL GO BLAMELESS, which was finally published after over 20 years since the poems were written. David, do you have more of these? It is a great book.
Bill

Hi RufusRJones: Most or all of the chapbooks listed above are now sold out. I'll check, but I think they're all gone. I'll be offering other old chapbooks of mine in the future, once I can do some collating and binding or just gathering up of stray copies.

Meanwhile, as Bill says, I have copies of my last chapbook of poems, "You'll Go Blameless," limited to 50 numbered copies in wrappers, for $5.00, plus shipping. I also have available "the form appears: bukowski watercolors by david barker" - which is a set of 10 professionally printed full color postcards housed in a printed envelope. Limited edition of 1000 copies. $10, plus shipping. Shipping on either item (or both combined) is $2 in the U.S. or to Canada, or $6 to elsewhere in the world. To order, please send me a private message and I'll let you know how to pay by check or Paypal. Thanks for asking.

ArtVisionary:

Of that original batch of my early chapbooks, here's what's currently available:

Roberts #1 - 12 Poets and Their Cars. Chapbook of photographs of Long Beach poets. All of the first edition copies from 1972 are gone, but I still have 3 copies of the 2000 reprint, which was limited to 25 copies. The reprint is $5.

Roberts #8 - Rumba: The Man Should Lead - And The Woman Should Follow (1975.) Chapbook collage with found text. One sheet, folded. $5 I have 6 copies of this available.

I will do combined shipping on these if you order both items. Shipping in the U.S. or Canada, add $1. Shipping outside the U.S., add $5. To order, send me a PM and I'll give you payment details. Signed upon request.

As before, there are other early titles that I have spares of, but they have to be collated and bound before they're ready to sell. I'm not even sure where they all are in my house, so I'll offer them later.

Thanks for asking.

Something VERY cool about seeing Roberts #1, Roberts #8...

I am still looking for a couple early, very uncommon titles (Italy, My Love, My Silly Banana being one.) I am thinking about flying to Oregon and camping out at Chez Barker so that I can go through boxes in his attic.

I probably don't have any spare copies of Italy..., even buried in boxes. But if I find one, I'll save it for you, Bill.

Update on remaining number of copies:

Roberts #1 - 12 Poets and Their Cars. Chapbook of photographs of Long Beach poets. All of the first edition copies from 1972 are gone, but I still have 3 copies 2 copies of the 2000 reprint, which was limited to 25 copies. The reprint is $5.

Roberts #8 - Rumba: The Man Should Lead - And The Woman Should Follow (1975.) Chapbook collage with found text. One sheet, folded. $5 I have 6 copies 5 copies of this available.

After a trip to the post office, I'm lowering the shipping costs:

Shipping in the U.S. or to Canada, add $2 $1.00. Shipping outside the U.S., add $6 $3.00.

These are the approximate actual postage costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back