Did I ever tell you? (1 Viewer)

Did I ever tell you? from The Days run away like wild horses over the hills, page 98.

I've been meaning to write about this poem for a long, long time now. It is perhaps one of the most unusual and perhaps original poems I have read by Bukowski, largely because of its subject matter.

Typing the whole poem up here would have been a bit of a nightmare as it is nine pages long. So, I'll just write a general overview of the poem and the note some interesting features within it and then ask some questions.

First off, this poem is written from the perspective of a woman, and it documents as varied litany of relationships this woman has had with a boat load of men. The theme seems to be centrally concerned with homosexual men, or at least, weak sensitive men who turn out to be gay or have homosexual inclinations.

This perspective of the jilted woman, who has close connectiosn with men, and primarily homosexual men, really allows Bukowski to attack masculinity and it also demonstrate as weird kind of understanding and commentary on homosexuality and the sceretive, somewhat hidden side of homosexuality and its relationships.

As someone who has been totally baffeled by their sexuality for a long time, I found this poem to be hilarious, insightful and intriguing: a real eye opener...i.e. Buk shows real insigight with his caricatures and his desctrptions of the secretive nature of these relationships, esepcially taking into consideration when it was written - lates 60's.

It reads like a secret list of all these gay men this woman encountered, and her assessment of their chracter, weaknesses, and psychological damamge. Now, this in know why implies anything about bukowskis sexuality, quite the opposite in fact, I'm so glad he wrote this poem: he demonsrates his ability to take on another perspective, to show us another aspect of underground society and its relationships. You get the feel of a real clandestine uncovering of relationships - i.e. married men having gay liasions, gay inclinations, or discovering secret parts to their own self, and how this can mess them up.

I'll give some examples:

'And the tall one who
became a forest ranger
and left a note with Roger
confessing he was queer
(but Roger already knew)'

'And Edward was a queer-but so very gentle;
he lit candles, had a sense of humour and
very hairy legs- like one of those land
crabs
or a coconut.'

'And Jerry was just like a horse-
if I looked him in the eye
he couldn't
kiss me.
(He just pretended he was gay
but he wasn't.)
(I can tell. Oh, I can always tell.)

'I used to go up on the
roof with Manny.
He was strange.
Parents spoiled him.
We looked at the moon through
a telescope: I stood
as the big end
and held it up
and he sat down
at the little end
and looked through it.'

'Vincent?
No. He was nothing. He was frightened
of his brother.
'My brother!' He'd scream
and we'd all run out the back door
and into the garage naked
or just in panties and bras...'

'I was engaged to Arlington
only three weeks.
And he tore the ring from my finger
claiming he didn't
want to marry the whole
queer army.
Later he cried on my shoulder
and told me he was a queen bee
and a general
and that he had been kidding himself
all his life.
I cried when he left.'

'Peter will kill himself some day.
Art will killl himself.
Tommy set fire to the bed and
beat his mother. I only
live with him
because of her. We went
to Alkaseltzer Mass
together.'

So, what do you think? This is perhaps one of the most unusual poems of Bukowski I have came across. I love it. It's really insightful. Something many of us can relate too, homoerotic experience with younger, or just, knowing some in our families friends, perhaps even someone who killed themselves. I thought I'd offer this up for discussion. It's a great poem: and Bukowski writing it from the perspective of a woman - is really unusual. Any thoughts - get them down here! Cheers.

You've posted this to demonstrate you are not a troll.
You were gonna write and post it eventually, but considering what's happened in the last few days, well....

The poem begins on 76 in the BS 1st edition.
He mentions the dude who threw money on the floor and wrote an opera called The Emperor of San Francisco. Buk wrote about the dude in more detail elsewhere. Probably one of those triple subjects of his. (Triple: Poem, Short Story, Novel.)

I wonder if you're not giving Buk more credit than he deserves. Sounds to me like it was written after being talked to death by someone he had shagged. If not literally, then a composite of a type of woman who blabs about past lovers after a shag. The ending of the poem gives the impression that she has been blabbing in bed after a shag.

Your analysis of the poem reveals much about young Olaf.

I remain, although not much longer, the golden needle in the haystack.

I wonder if you're not giving Buk more credit than he deserves.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. It's a strong poem.

Sounds to me like it was written after being talked to death by someone he had shagged.

I agree in part. He is definitely writing from the perspective of a woman, as she recounts various men she has known or encountered or shagged or had some kind of relationship with. Of course, this sort of parodies his own sexual encounters with women, and the 'type' of some of the people he met in his life.

If not literally, then a composite of a type of woman who blabs about past lovers after a shag. The ending of the poem gives the impression that she has been blabbing in bed after a shag.

Spot on! A composite of some of the women he knew - in caricature: as she or they, viewed the men, their caricatures, weekeness, sexualities, dysfunctions.

Your analysis of the poem reveals much about young Olaf.

My interpreation certainly does reveal a bit about me, but I think my little analysis, fits in with the context of the poem. I love the way you read it like hearing this promiscuos woman and all the sort of men she met, the type of men there were, the insecurities and hangups, and sexual problems. Good poem...

He mentions the dude who threw money on the floor and wrote an opera called The Emperor of San Francisco. Buk wrote about the dude in more detail elsewhere. Probably one of those triple subjects of his. (Triple: Poem, Short Story, Novel.)

Was it the rich man he partied with in Factotum? If so, he (obviously) writes about him there, and talks about the yacht experience in the Bukowski tapes I believe.

And in every subsequent Black Sparrow edition.

But speaking of the first edition, I recently picked one up and it includes an interesting little (letterpressed) erratum slip. In His Wife, The Painter the first edition has date misprint, 1943 for 1843.

Does anyone know if other Sparrow firsts came with similar erratum?

erratum.jpg

Interesting find...

It's an interesting poem, a conglomeration of some of the men and women Bukowski had met and come to caricature. I love the tone of the woman confessing all the secret lives, insecurities, of these confused and damaged men.

And also the context of some of the mens lives and experiences...real eye opener...like reading an excerpt from a diary or the sincerity of a drunken conversation...

haven't read: His wife, the painter... in a while. I just might.

You've posted this to demonstrate you are not a troll.
[...] considering what's happened in the last few days, well....

And in every subsequent Black Sparrow edition.
Just to come up a smartass: in my softcover-BSP edition from 1993 (21st printing) it starts on p 98.

@brotherschenker: You are obviously right with your analyzis of Olafs intentions. But why complain about it? At least it shows, he's willing to contibute. Come on, give the guy a chance...

His wife, the painter...

la edición española de Run with the hunted, traducida y publicada por Anagrama, incluye una version castellana de este poema.
pero es muy duro, la traduccion me refiero.

Someone could talk something about this "his wife, the painter" jyust to say something, justo to open the brain enclosed interviews and lettered men because le traduction n'est pas bon, merde! putain!.. et the english way est tres terrible!
excuseme moi mon anglespagnol-francais but il faut!
merci
chau
hanz polilla

Pd: someone has read a Bukowski translation into frech???... Bukowski sounds genial by a ridyong in the same languaje with celine, genet, camus etc.... he loved celine!

Just to come up a smartass: in my softcover-BSP edition from 1993 (21st printing) it starts on p 98.
I stand corrected. The latest printing I have here is the 19th.

I wonder what changed, the format of the pages or the order of the poems? How many pages total in the 21st printing?

This kind of throws a monkey wrench into including page numbers in the database...

My 26th printing from 2000 has 204 numbered pages. After page 204 comes a couple of un-numbered pages with a photo of Buk and the usual info about him. In this edition the poem also starts on page 98...

Does anyone think my thoughts on the poem aren't correct?

I'm curious to know: I think they are spot on! But it appears some think they are not...which is a little confusing...I don' think the analysis has more to do with me than the poem.

I think my thoughts on the subject are pretty straight foward and relevant and in context. Ya?

My 26th printing from 2000 has 204 numbered pages.
Hmm, I guess the layout changed, because the editions I've seen are only 153 pages. But they also ran the beginning of a poem on the same page as the end of the previous one if there was space. I assume these later versions don't do that, and start each poem on a new page.

Yes, every poem starts on a new page! None of my Buk collections starts a new poem in the middle of a page - thank God...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back