Do you think you'd of got along with Buk? (1 Viewer)

I'm sure it's gone through 99% of the minds of people who've read and enjoy his works. So I'm wondering if you think you would've and why? I'm sure the majority doesn't believe they would have and I'm curious why wouldn't you have gotten along with him?

I would have gotten along with him. The reason I think this is that when I met him and spent a bit of time talking to him we got along just fine. Of course, he was relatively sober at the time. If he were shitfaced it's hard to say, though I usually get along with drunks alright if they're not especially belligerent.

One thing that strikes me is that, myths and legends not withstanding, Bukowski was just a regular guy. People talk and write about him as if he were some sort of an anomaly with a very unusual lifestyle. I've known dozens of people just like him (in terms of lifestyle). The only real difference between him and other people like him was that he had a rare gift of expression and talent for writing, and he had the drive to continue to express himself when most others would have given up.

Who's to say if I would've got along with him...but I do know the simple fact of his work gave me pause, when dealing with drunks. I used to bounce & when I did I'd occasionally think about how the guy I was throwing out was no different than Buk, my brother, my friends, or even no different than me--if I was out drinking instead of working...so it was a real gift that I got from the work.

I also picked grapes in Switzerland & there was this drunken asshole that everyone hated--but I thought he was really hilarious--in particular how he always got a rise out of everyone. My nick-name for him: Bukowski.

At what age. . .

bukowski037.jpg
bukowski041.jpg
bukowski035.jpg
bukowski043.jpg
bukowski030.jpg
bukowski053.jpg
bukowski045.jpg
bukowski007.jpg
bukowski0012.jpg

Just read what a pain in the ass I am and the answer is clear. But, If I were in a bar and Hank Chinaski was there and needed a drink....He'd get me to buy Him a drink, in fact, several drinks. I'd stagger out of there later thinking, Wow! what a nice guy that Hank is. Of course he only wanted a drink and knew I needed attention.
That was probably the scenario of many of his acquaintances, just the source of another much needed drink.
A guy like me, like here, just needed someone to listen to them. Oh how we savor the attention of others. Stroke, stroke, stroke.
Bukowski wrote a short story about a benefactor in a bar with plenty of money who ultimately gets thrown under the bus.
I'm sure he got sick of listening intently for hours, for drinks.
It 's no wonder he wrote how he hated people. I would not count on him giving me the time of day, I will continue to buy his books. Thank you very much, I owe you a drink.

Hank would probably tolerate me, and would be polite, but secretly find me to be a pain in the ass.

That is just how it is. Fans rarely make good friends. The problem is that the fan usually does not realize this. Of course, the "star" does.

Bill

I got along wonderfully with Bukowski when he was alive.

I never went to his house and knocked on his door with a six pack under each arm, never wrote him a letter, called him on the phone, interrupted him at the track or a restaurant - in fact I never even met him.

That was all he asked of our friendship, that I leave him alone and buy his books. All I asked of him is that he keep writing them. I did my part and he did his. We were the greatest of friends.

Hank would probably tolerate me, and would be polite, but secretly find me to be a pain in the ass.
That is just how it is. Fans rarely make good friends. The problem is that the fan usually does not realize this. Of course, the "star" does.

That's right! Who wants a fan drooling all over you? Unless you like to hold court, which Buk did'nt...

mjp: Spot on!

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd personally have to muster up the courage with a shit load of liquor to introduce myself to him... i'd make it short and sweet getting of his like he'd be wishing me to.
if i were to have a "few" with him before hearing of his work we'd probably end up in a bottle fight.

his daughter marina said that to know his writing was to know the man, that he spoke perfectly candidly in his writing of what his life was about. so i guess, if you have read him, and the words have spoken to you, you have got along with bukowski.

his daughter marina said that to know his writing was to know the man, that he spoke perfectly candidly in his writing of what his life was about. so i guess, if you have read him, and the words have spoken to you, you have got along with bukowski.

Very well said-if I was lucky enough to meet him in his life I would've just thanked him and went along my way.

Thereallygoodpoetis the one that wrote that. Like Slimedog said.....I'd thank him too.

Thank you!

Good point! Well said, theonlygoodpoetisa!

If we were both waiting at a bus stop and not speaking to each other and otherwise ignoring each other I think we would get along just fine. I'm kind of like him in that I like having people around as long as they aren't bothering me and I don't have to interact with them. But their presence is company enough. Like mjp said.

I think charles would have been disgusted with me, but I reckon I could
have put some work in and got a few laughs out of him, in the end though
i think he would have probably kicked me out.:)

to be very, very honest here - i would have been terrified of him. some people have a way of drinking and becoming very unpredictable. it appears, through what i've seen, that he was one of those people. flog me if i'm wrong i'm okay with that. now, having lived with a few very unpredictable drunks, my mother included - i get very edgy and brittle when put in that situation. i imagine hanging around him, if he were very drunk, would make me feel the same way.

i wonder what he would have been like if he were sober for a long time...

p.s. nice picture collage there Father Luke. do you find yourself identifying more with older Bukowski or younger Bukowski? ;)

he would have liked me alright. or at least he would have liked the crazed drunk women i hang around. then i would have started talking about writing, rambling on and being a complete nerd about things, and he woulld be like "mother fucker! fuck off!"

note: i think super old bukowski would have liked damn near anyone.

I got along wonderfully with Bukowski when he was alive.

I never went to his house and knocked on his door with a six pack under each arm, never wrote him a letter, called him on the phone, interrupted him at the track or a restaurant - in fact I never even met him.

That was all he asked of our friendship, that I leave him alone and sell his books. All I asked of him is that he keep writing them. I did my part and he did his. We were the greatest of friends.

In addition, he would periodically send me personally inscribed copies of some of his books ( I suspect right after he got a particularly large BSP royalty check.) as freebies which I treasure to this day. I think he would be pissed off if he knew I "treasured" them.

(with appreciation to mjp for my partial theft of his words) :D

vodka said:
p.s. nice picture collage there Father Luke. do you find yourself identifying more with older Bukowski or younger Bukowski? ;)

as i get older i identify more with younger
him. i have the wisdom of perspective.

hope that helps.

the only people Buk wanted to get along with for any length of time were certain women. The length of time they got along depended on certain factors (his age, her sexiness, his infatuation, her love...to name a few).

I am the same way. So, no, I wouldn't have gotten along with him. At least not for more than an hour or two.

But I get along fine with him while reading his novels and poetry.

the point is, we've been round and round this issue in the younger bukowsk vs. older bukowski thread.

i'm the douché for bringing it up. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm...

my usual approach will not work here.

i have much too much respect for your mother to insult her.

i choose....

Diego Rivera!

phweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I would probably have never met him unless we were in the same bar. I am not the type of person to randomly approach somebody and strike up a conversation unless I am drunk, then I make a complete ass of myself. Oh well, I like what he writes and that is enough for me.

all of you people who said you knew him.
STOP.
im getting really sad =(

lol i imagine myself sometimes talking to bukowski.
i even wanted to write a random short story about an imaginary encounter, just for fun. of course, it would look a lot better in the imagination than in real life.

LOL sorry, allow me to fix that. saying that i imagine myself talking to him makes me sound insane :/

I have known a lot of drunks in the past(and unfortunately still do)...REALLY bad, nasty, belligerent 'I put out my cigarettes on your hard wood floor and I'll start flirting with your girlfriend and start fights with your friends' type of drunks, and I would imagine I probably would NOT take a liking to Buk all that much, personally.
The older I get, the less of my patience I have for them. I just hate babysitting drunks, and I've had to do it plenty of times. It's a bunch of bullshit selfishness inflicted onto others.
Buk's poems/books/letters/art, etc....nothing short of stellar.
And that's where I would keep it at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back