Don't forget to vote! (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
snoopy.jpg

Trump does look a bit like Woodstock (albeit if you replace his beak with a pulsating anus).

There was a kid's TV show back in the 70s/80s called Trumpton and strangely around the time Trump began his campaign the creator of the show died. I'm not sure if it was suicide stemming from some Gepetto-style angst that his wooden toy had become a real boy?

edit:
I've realized just now, that the slogan: "Give Abe another shot" can be mistaken for a cynical joke, given what happened shortly after the election.
This was NOT intended! Sorry.

The above poster came from the original 1864 election campain. When I posted this, I meant the slogans exactly the way they were initially intended.

Being a fan of Whitman, I - of course - am a fan of the captain Abe Lincoln, too!

Is anyone else just gonna go home after work on Tuesday, jack off and pass out? We'll wake up on Wednesday and everyone will still work the job, plop their ass in front of the tv and buy things they don't need or want...so what's changed?

There will only be change (and I say this is a neutrally as text will allow) when our "enemies" finally knock at our doorstep. The distance of our war shrinks, and the mask of comfort drops...

Holy shit. I'm in a miles long line for the Hillary rally and going nuts. My lower back hurts. REALLY nice crowd though. At least I have Jim Harrison's SUNDOG to read. Boy I could use a coffee or beer.

I'm truly sorry what this election brought to you in the US and the whole global community. I guess there will soon be a new wave of refugees at the borders of the EU now - coming from America.

Every time something doesn't break the way someone here wants it to, they start moaning about "moving to Canada," or wherever, but they never leave. Unfortunately. Personally I look forward to four years of top notch jaw-dropping buffoonery. If he survives that long.

He will accomplish exactly 0 of the things he claimed he would do, so we'll see how it goes. He may not be a politician, but now he's going to be surrounded by them every day, and he's no match for them. They'll use him to do what they want to do.

The majority of voters (in a record turnout) wanted Trump, so now they've got Trump. That's the way it's supposed to work here, so if you believe in democracy you can't complain. The funny thing is, when he accomplishes nothing (except things that are very bad for the people who voted him in), they'll still love him. Forever.

The really funny thing is, from now on when you look at those lists of presidents, Donald Trump's face is going to be there!

The funny thing is, when he accomplishes nothing (except things that are very bad for the people who voted him in), they'll still love him. Forever.

What's not to love?

The really funny thing is, from now on when you look at those lists of presidents, Donald Trump's face is going to be there!

He'll probably want to put his face on some of our paper money. I'm not kidding. Mark my words. I was right about how he was going to win after all. Watch how a new "15 dollar bill" will be invented or something. He's one vain mother fucker.

He will grab 'Merica by the pussy until the short hairs come out and we're bleeding. Good times, not. :(

Did you know Donald, I mean, President Trump's hair is modelled on the late Quentin Crisp's. It's true. It's not quite successful (the lift, etc.) but it's a fact.

Couldn't believe it this morning and I don't know why, the swing to the right is happening elsewhere,when people fear the collapse of their society, loss of common heritage, they want order and nationalism. The working class, my class, rarely bites the hand that oppress them. Perception is reality - stoke enough bullshit and lies in the media about the erosion of heritage, immigration and moral collapse, which has been relentless in this campaign - and barrabing barrabong. I think privately Trump is more moderate and liberal than he promoted himself as in this campaign.Pretty shitty and deceitful, but a bit of hope and he will be held in check. So, only four years to go.

For some reason or other this was the Buk quote that came to mind this morning:

``Crabs, baby -- you gave me the crabs,"

I mostly followed whatever the San Diego Free Press said in their voter guideline. I'm probably one of the select few below the age of 30 who read their press.

a new wave of refugees at the borders of the EU now.

The EU? While it lasts! Personally I would have voted against Brexit but I can only imagine more such things happening in other European countries.

And think about how different Melania (?) is from the other first ladies. She looks like Madison Ivy, gentlemen. Personally I want to get their presidential Tops cards.

Couldn't believe it this morning and I don't know why, the swing to the right is happening elsewhere,when people fear the collapse of their society, loss of common heritage, they want order and nationalism. The working class, my class, rarely bites the hand that oppress them. Perception is reality - stoke enough bullshit and lies in the media about the erosion of heritage, immigration and moral collapse, which has been relentless in this campaign - and barrabing barrabong. I think privately Trump is more moderate and liberal than he promoted himself as in this campaign.Pretty shitty and deceitful, but a bit of hope and he will be held in check. So, only four years to go.

I've noticed a swing to the right with people of my generation. Don't believe what the media says about the liberal millenials. They're all fascists here in Commiefornia. A lack of historical consciousness coupled with dwindling opportunity has made us all technocrat nazis. We're victims of the Reagan years and we don't even know it. It's sort of like the 1950's and 1980's all over again, but more perverse.

Anyway, I do like Donald Trump better than any other Republican whom I've read about in the history books, except Lincoln, of course. I liked watching him annihilate Cruz, Bush, Carson, et al in the debates. I see him as more moderate than any of those guys and historical Republican presidents. Just my twenty-something cents. I wanted Clinton (Sanders at first), but it could have been worse. What's more worrisome than a Trump presidency for me is the fact that the Republicans now have the majority in the federal government. It's just gotten a lot hotter here! Woah!

Look, searching for diagnostics or facts regarding who voted for whom is really a pointless exercise. We didn't have a great choice, and I swallowed a mouthful of bile to vote for Hillary only because I preferred her to Trump and I didn't want to vote for an obvious loser. But leave the diagnostics aside, as they mean nothing until four years from now. Someone who should have defeated an easily-defeated candidate didn't. And that shows how out of touch that candidate would have been as President.

I'm not happy about the outcome, but I have no need to grouse about it. This is how things have gone for decades. We want this side; don't like this side. Want that side. Don't want that side, want this side. Blah, Blah, Blah...we'll get over this and still breathe and those of us that care will continue to fight for social injustice, which is the only political issue I care about.

It sounds like you're suggesting that people stop talking about this election. Good luck with that.

I don't give a shit about this or any other election. It would please me to see all politicians go down together on an ocean liner with no life boats after it hits an iceberg in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. Believe that.

But it's like a plague of locusts descended across the entire country yesterday, blotting out the sun and killing all the crops, and you're saying, "Don't pay attention to that. There's plenty of food at the Piggly Wiggly. Talk about something that matters!"

I think you're pushing against the force of half of the people in the country (and other countries) who want very badly to talk about the election. I get it, you're not pleased with it, but people are going to talk about it for a long, long time, so you might want to come to grips with that.

And I'm sorry, but I can't, in good conscience, fight for social injustice. ;)

Somewhere else on the internet the subject of the great divide this election has caused between US citizens reminded me of one of Bukowski's poems (I believe that's it origin) ....

“We’re all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn’t. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."

A poster responded saying they want to read more Bukowski. I then shared part of my favorite poem of his The Shoelace, and that doubled their interest. So it was nice to return the favor of turning on someone else to Bukowski, as someone did for me, in talking about current events.

Today was a good day.

Then how do you explain the 18 - 25 year old vote yesterday?
Numbers give the impression of authority, however, that image was circulating before the election, so it doesn't indicate anything about the actual election results. Remember how someone said Clinton stood a 91.9% chance of winning? Wow! they even narrowed it down to a tenth! So the other 8.1% made it.

All I can say is that I've noticed the tone of many forums I visit or used to visit shift to the right. In the workplace and at college, I'd say more than half of the people my age I met were already cranky Republicans sniveling on about cutting benefits and the national debt. Maybe they're the more vocal ones, who knows. I've rarely seen the words "loudmouth" and "Democrat" put together.

You're right. That's what I get for trusting the Internet.

Which shouldn't be surprising to anyone, since aging generally makes people more conservative.

But don't those arrows run contrary to that notion? Young people got more conservative and the elderly got more liberal since 2012.

Take a screenshot of this post in 2020. I predict that the 18-29 crowd will be even more conservative in 2020. This new crop of kids is more conservative, I'm telling you lot.

This new crop of kids is more conservative, I'm telling you lot.
Historically, they don't appear to be. Yes, the youngest voters went for Clinton and Obama, but before that they voted for Reagan and Bush (and in 2000 they split evenly between Gore and Bush). If you're only comparing today to 2012, then yes, more went Republican in this election. But if you go back further, clearly it swings in both directions, and I think you're just seeing the latest in those swings.

Then again, looking at historical numbers is misleading too, since the Democratic party has become more conservative (i.e., more pro-business and anti-people) while the Republican party has put a huge effort into appearing more concerned with social issues (which is also misleading, since their core goals have always remained pro-business and anti-people, but they now wrap that in what are meant to look like more "social" issues: specifically the "culture war" around guns, Christianity and unborn fetuses).

These being statistics, you can make of them what you will, of course. But I'll just say that the first time I voted - in 1980 - I was dumbfounded that friends of mine actually voted for Reagan. It seemed inconceivable to me. Just like I imagine a lot of 20 year olds couldn't understand why some of their peers voted for Trump. So I guess I'm just not seeing where things have really changed that much.

These numbers come from Roper:

1976 (18-21 year olds)
Carter 49%
Ford 51%

1980 (18-21 year olds)
Carter 45%
Reagan 44%
Anderson 11%

1984 (18-24 year olds)
Mondale 39%
Reagan 61%

1988 (18-29 year olds)
Dukakis 47%
Bush 53%

1992 (18-24 year olds)
Clinton 46%
Bush 33%
Perot 21%

1996 (18-24 year olds)
Clinton 55%
Dole 35%
Perot 11%

2000 (18-24 year olds)
Gore 47%
Bush 47%
Nader 5%

2004 (18-24 year olds)
Kerry 56%
Bush 43%
Other 1%

2008 (18-29 year olds)
Obama 66%
McCain 32%

2012 (18-29 year olds)
Obama 60%
Romney 37%

I never realized how divided young voters were in past generations! We really are the wildest-eyed liberals yet. Perhaps I am just getting older and so are my peers... after all, I'll nearly be middle-aged by the next election.

Nonetheless, the rise of the so-called alt-right on my old internet stomping grounds is troubling.

It sounds like you're suggesting that people stop talking about this election. Good luck with that.

And I'm sorry, but I can't, in good conscience, fight for social injustice. ;)
I don't need to understand why it happened because knowing the answer is of no use to me. Talking about it accomplishes nothing and I have other things I need to get done. And yet, I'm talking about it, so there's that.

As for the last statement, it was late is all I've got on that one. I think most of you know what I meant.

Like our new First Lady, this book was never meant to be opened all the way. We must build a wall. She alone cannot protect herself from all those Mexican rapists.

Untitled-1.jpg

I don't need to understand why it happened because knowing the answer is of no use to me. Talking about it accomplishes nothing and I have other things I need to get done. And yet, I'm talking about it, so there's that.

I'm surprised by your statement, but you can have your feelings of course. I do not agree that not finding the answer to the reasons or talking about why the election went the way it did accomplishes nothing. I think what doesn't really matter is whomever is in office. What matters is how it affects the people. People are at odds and vehemently divided. Some are polarized, anxious, depressed and even suicidal because they don't take any action or talk about it. The conservative side also feels misunderstood. Many people that voted for Trump are not "bad" people, but they are seen by progressives as racist, xenophobic, homophobic, etc. Half the country are not clones of Donald Trump. They can't be! I'd like to have some hope that 47.2% of the people that voted for him do not agree with all that shit he said. Candidates resonate with certain people for different reasons and they only have a choice of two. The supporters that make it onto television are partially (mostly?) the fanatics, so the media does not help with that, but the media is also not a "leftist conspiracy" either. My guess is also that many working-class whites are far more racist than white liberals thought (black people - and other people discriminated against - already knew this), and they resent being shamed for it. Or perhaps they are not all racists and resent being shamed in general by intellectuals. There is probably not ONE reason, but how can we build a bridge if we don't talk about it? These are just a few thoughts.

Another thing I'd like to add. Sorry to make this even longer, but, if the left doesn't start to reach out and try to talk to the Trump supporters that looked the other way at some of his horrendous statements against women, Muslims, disabled people, Mexicans, and others, we can have something DANGEROUS on our hands, and I really believe that. Look back in history to see how Adolf Hitler rose to power. Seriously. The people put him in power and most of those people were not "bad." They just looked the other way while he kept appointing more and more scary people in his axis. I don't believe most of his early supporters would have elected him if they knew what he was really capable of. So it's important to talk to people before it's really too late and the divide gets even bigger over the next four years.

Last edited:
Well, the collusion of the DNC and the anointing of HRC, turned off many people (including me).
There was a hubris in the way she ran her campaign that left a large hole where the post-industrial working class lives and she had no connection to them. She waffled on the $15 minimum wage, she absolutely supported TPP and seemed less focused on "right to work states" and more on international issues.
As much as I hate a Trump administration ( I voted for HRC), he was the last lunatic standing.
the republicans trotted out what, 15 or 16 "viable" choices? We were left with one. That Bernie was so marginalized and fucked-over has come back to bite Dems on the ass.
As much as I wish the results were different, much of this abomination can be laid directly at the feet of the DNC.
I think after all the initial smoke clears, the republicans will self-destruct in a variety of interesting ways that will be really entertaining. Unless we're all dead from a nuclear war, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back