• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Sold drawing by Bukowski ..? (1 Viewer)

does anybody believe that this is legit?

121071434619.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121071434619

Edit for future ref, seller id:- nuewe

Only in so much as it is 'offered as in the manner of Charles Bukowski.'

It could be an original, but you would never be sure. I wouldn't pay $200+ for that sort of uncertainty. Might as well draw one myself :cool:

You sure?

Looks legit to me (is it too late to redact this?). The starting point for the sun is always the same, the dog's nose, the shoulder...

Those two drawings aren't identical, but none of his drawings are. I think there are enough similar points though.

compare.jpg

Sold for $250.

Thanks to mjp posting the Bukowski drawing I am now more in the 'fake' camp. You never know tho'.

I don't buy it. Really.
To me, it looks like a fluent sketch by someone who has seen Buk-drawings and their style and now does one himself.

You sure?

definitely not sure but...

it looks very stiff - or relatively stiff - and contrived compared to that other one.

just feels parroted to me but as someone said, "you never know tho'".

To me, it looks like a fluent sketch by someone who has seen Buk-drawings and their style and now does one himself.
Try that sometime.

Sketching, doodling, whatever you want to call it, is very personally distinctive. It would be easier for me to copy your signature than your drawing style.

But I can see when I've been outvoted.

Was Bukowski in the habit of drawing the (more or less) exact same drawing more than once? That's what I'm asking myself. The only example I remember is the "Dear Mr. Bukowski" drawings which first appeared in some mag in a more crude version. Then of course there's the little man with or without the bottle, but that one usually appears in connection with his book signings and in some of his letters, so that's kind of a different category than the drawing we're talking about here. I would'nt buy it, because I'm not 100% convinced it's genuine. I would give it a fifty-fifty chance at best.
The wording, 'offered as in the manner of Charles Bukowski.', makes me suspicious.
(I wanted to have a look at the listing but the link does'nt work)

Last edited by a moderator:
He repeated things, but not as closely as the image from Amazon and the auction drawing. The Amazon sketch is taken from a letter, so it would seem that the auction image is definitely a copy of that.

The only example I remember is the "Dear Mr. Bukowski" drawings which first appeared in some mag in a more crude version
As far as I know, the drawings for Dear Mr. Bukowski and The Day it Snowed in L.A. were the same in the original (L.A. Free Press?) versions and the later books/cards - but with added colouring. Don't hold me to that though, (do I seem to be lacking in conviction :oops: ).

Listing link still works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121071434619

As far as I know, the drawings for Dear Mr. Bukowski and The Day it Snowed in L.A. were the same in the original (L.A. Free Press?) versions and the later books/cards - but with added colouring. Don't hold me to that though, (do I seem to be lacking in conviction :oops: ).

My mistake! You're right about "Dear Mr. Bukowski". I just compared the L.A. Free Press version to the colored version, and as say, the only difference is the colors.:fool:

Listing link still works.

Right! For some reason it did'nt work for me yesterday.

Yeah, it's pretty blatant, isn't it. Not a lot of grey area there.

Carol pointed out something that I never noticed, and we can use it in the future. I won't say what it is here in the public forum. But it's a good indicator (and you can see it in this example).

someone will put in a bid i'm sure and then forget to pay for it. I have always been too afraid to do it as I always figured that they would trace it back to me, but people that know computers better than I do can hide pretty well, I'm sure...

Is there any way we can prevent any more poor stupid fucks from being ass fucked?

eBay seems to do very little to stop sellers of fake art and other counterfeit items. I've lost count of the number of times I've reported some U.K sellers for selling the same CD-RW over and over again. The items sometimes get closed, but they never seem to get banned or otherwise discouraged by eBay.

Authenticity guaranteed. If any of my autographs at any time in the future, fails to pass authentication with PSA/DNA or JSA, I will reimburse the purchase price and the postage, in addition I will pay for the cost of authentication.

He sure does his best trying to sell it.

Screw it, I just decided to buy a cheap van Gogh instead. Plus, this seller combines shipping if I want to also pick up a Monet or da Vinci while I'm at it...

This guy covers his ass by referring to some Italian law about copies. Of course, one has to be very stupid to think you can buy artwork of a world famous artist with a starting bid of $39.

it amazes me how stupid and gullible some people can be regarding ebay fakes. it's pretty easy to detect most
of them with a little investigation. i regularly check out the fake art on ebay and shake my head at the suckers
bidding on that stuff.

this one - not a buk - with 22 bids already is SO easy to bust as a fake, regardless of the "COA", provenance, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stunning-Eg...177657189?pt=Art_Drawings&hash=item3ccf66c765

He sure does his best trying to sell it.

This guy covers his ass by referring to some Italian law about copies. Of course, one has to be very stupid to think you can buy artwork of a world famous artist with a starting bid of $39.

Plus, he says that it was drawn in 1910, which is 20 years after the artist died. He never says that it is BY van Gogh, so I guess that he could say that it is in the style of van Gogh and that the buyer should have known that by the date being posthumous.

Still, the seller clearly is fishing for fools...

He does'nt say it was drawn in 1910. He says: "Charcoal drawing on original paper of 1910". I guess that means the paper is from 1910, but not the drawing itself which was probably made recently. Pretty clever way of formulating it, so that most people will think it's a drawing from 1910. :wb:

I think that you are right, still, why not make it from paper from when he was alive? I know that most of his forgeries are from when the artist was alive, so maybe he just screwed up and put in a date that does not work?

Fascinating that people think that they can get an original Munch, Monet, Picasso or van Gogh for $50.

Right, either he screwed up the date, or he thought nobody would check out when Van Gogh died. Or maybe he chose 1910 as a way of covering his ass, so that he can always say he wasn't trying to cheat people since Van Gogh died 20 years before. I guess some people think they've stumbled over a gold mine and gets so exited about it that they don't bother to check out such "details". Just think of the guy who bought that "Bukowski" drawing. It said, "Drawn in the manner of Bukowski", but I'll bet that became a Bukowski drawing in the mind of the buyer who probably did'nt focus on the actual wording, "Drawn in the manner of...". Otherwise he would'nt have paid $200 for it. That is, unless he thought a copy of a Bukowski drawing is worth paying $200 for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back