Duchovny mentions Bukowski on Jay Leno (1 Viewer)

Short Story: Leno commented that Duchovny started in theatre, Duchovny confirms and tells a story about doing a Bukowski short story on stage. I've not read the story, but I do remember him saying something about a mermaid and a couple of guys fucking a corpse in the ocean.

If anyone saw it as well feel free to give the long story or (even better) link a clip. I'll recount it a bit better if no one else saw it and someone's interested.

I've been seeing the ads for his new Showtime series, Californication, and it looks like the whole premise is Women-era Bukowski. The character's name is even Hank. I think we discussed this elsewhere...

Yes we did Bukowski tv rip-off?

From the Showtime network site:
http://www.sho.com/site/californication/characters.do

So will it be a dry modern comedy with hints of Bukowski? Maybe its just a similar theme.

Is Karen going to be FrancEye?
Becca to be Marina?
Mia to be Linda King?
Bald Charlie to be John Martin? - 'lives his life on the straight and narrow path and can't understand why Hank can't just kick his various habits and settle down with a good woman.'

Wonder if we'll get this in the UK?

I've been seeing the ads for his new Showtime series, Californication, and it looks like the whole premise is Women-era Bukowski. The character's name is even Hank. I think we discussed this elsewhere...

I did search (and find) hank's post, but I'm glad someone could link the clip. I thought it was a funny interview, and I've always liked Duchovny.

Bald Charlie to be John Martin? - 'lives his life on the straight and narrow path and can't understand why Hank can't just kick his various habits and settle down with a good woman.'
Okay, now it's really, for sure, no doubt based on Bukowski. Come on.

The only thing they changed is the novel being made into a bad movie -- oh, wait, maybe that's Bukowski too...

;)

Californication

Well I just watched the pilot, [thanks to P2P] and yes the theme's are familiar, but the setting is different - for instance despite his 'struggling one-hit wonder' status, Duchovny's character Hank seems to be quite well off already.

So I wasn't sitting here say - 'that's Bukowski, that's Bukowski, no no no that's NOT Bukowski!!'

Anyway, inspired by, loosely based on or absolutely nothing to do with Bukowski - which ever of these is the case (but interesting that Duchovny was talking about The Copulating Mermaid of Venice, California on Leno, no?) I really liked it as a piece of US TV. Seems to be a good cast, high production values and well written. Some great laugh out loud bits in the first episode. So hopefully a UK network will pick this up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back