Essayists post-Tom Wolfe (1 Viewer)

Been reading Tom Wolfes "Hooking Up". A bit uneven but overall some really insightful stuff.

My question.
Are there any now living essayists in the style of Tom Wolfe?

Would like to find some new, modern, essayist that capture the humor and ecclectic knowledge of Wolfe. Someone who writes about the world today. Not someone á la G.K. Chesterton.

Would like to find some new, modern, essayist that capture the humor and ecclectic knowledge of Wolfe.
You will not. Not unless the 50s and 60s and Vietnam and the hippies and the public school system and just about everything else from that era happens again.

Looking for a "new" writer in the tradition of the essayists of the past is futile. But you could say the say thing during any era, really. You may find a ghostlike similarity in someone, somewhere, but the times create the writers, and these times are creating the kinds of writers you would expect them to. Easily distracted navel gazing infants amused by their own shit.

No, there are more "essayists" now than there have ever been. You can't blink your eyes without coming across a hundred of them. They are everywhere. But you asked for a modern writer comparable to someone like Wolfe, and there are none.

If there are, anyone feel free to correct me. Tao Lin maybe? Ha ha ha. There's your most high profile modern essayist. Sad statement on the form.

I know I know...my inquiry was poorly phrased. But had I asked about authors writing in the style of Bukowski or Hemingway etc. I would have gotten several recommendations. But lets drop the Tom Wolfe thingy.

Question still stands: Could you recommend any contemporary author who's had his/her essays collected in a book? (regardless of style)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back