• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Factotum (first edition) (1 Viewer)

I found what I believe to be a first edition of Factotum, hard cover. It looks almost new, a little shelf wear, but never read. Would rather see it with someone from here than on eBay. Any interest? You'll want to ask me questions and see photos, I'm sure. I don't know anything about collecting books, I just read them. Heck, I dogear pages. (But not in this one.) Thanks.

Is the title page in color? What color is the cloth spine?What is the year on the bottom of the title page?

If the title page is just in black and white then it is a later printing. Only the 1st editions had the title page in color.

Bill

That's a book I'd love to have here. Please answer Bill's questions, and why not, post a couple of photos too.

Salut.

Is the title page in color? What color is the cloth spine?What is the year on the bottom of the title page?

If the title page is just in black and white then it is a later printing. Only the 1st editions had the title page in color.

Thanks, Bill, for helping me figure this out. I see now that it says, under the 1975 copyright notice, "First British edition, 1981." And the black-only title page says, at the bottom, "W. H. Allen" etc followed by "1981." The black cover has gold title and author plus W.H. Allen colophon on spine. So I'm guessing this is probably not a collectable book. I also just noticed that the dust jacket has its lower right corner cut off, about an inch on the front inside flap, like maybe a price was printed there.

It is still a collectible book, but not like the first Black Sparrow editions. You'll see UK firsts of Post Office (London Magazine Editions), Life and Death in the Charity Ward (London Magazine Editions), Factotum (W.H. Allen), and Women (W.H. Allen) on ebay fairly regularly for stupid asking prices. I got the first three of these about two years ago for just over $200, which is what some folks are asking for Post Office alone. I feel that I paid a bit under reasonable market value.

If yours is as clean as you claim but has a price-clipped jacket, you're still looking at a book that's worth in the $40-$60 (US) range, in my opinion. There's a copy on abebooks right now in the UK that is very good (DJ worn, book read) for $55.68. Yours sounds nicer but is price-clipped, so it's somewhere in there, although abe prices are about 20% above market value if you ask folks 'round these parts.

If you're in the U.S., there's a very limited market for the UK firsts (I happen to like them well enough (particularly Life and Death...), but not overly).

let me point out how nice it is to have a new member post a book for sale, find out that it isn't as collectible as originally thought, and not throw a temper tantrum upon realization of same. good on you, eliotpress - hopefully you'll stick around and join some other conversations.

True, most people get pissed when they learn something isn't as valuable as they thought it might be. Any episode of Pawnstars will tell you that. It's still a cool book, and someone will want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back