Favorite Author (dead and still with us) (1 Viewer)

bospress.net said:
Also, if you are interested, check out "and the ass saw the angel" by Nick Cave. Very dark and disturbing book....
as in Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds?

Hi,
Yes, it is the same Nick Cave. He took some time off in the early 90's? To write this. If you are a fan of his mucos that you will love this, certainly. It is a great book either way. I have a few first editions here, but you can usually find copies on abe for next to nothing...

Bill

I might be wrong -I haven't double-checked that- but I think he wrote that piece and some other stuff in the late 80's and then performed several parts in the early 90's in Vienna and other European cities. There are several bootlegs where you can hear him reciting excerpts from those pieces. Quite interesting, though I prefer his music to the readings.

hoochmonkey9 said:
as in Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds?

its weird when you are reading something like this, and then from another room you hear Nick Cave singing {'Red Right Hand'} on the soundtrack to a movie that the kids are watching...

ha! Hearing that song in that movie always makes me laugh. Seems a bit odd to hear Nick in a movie like that! What was it? Scream 2?

Bill

-Amy Hemple - She's tight
-Menken - Cynical
-Buk
-Dr. Thompson
(especially his political writing - and his collection of private letters)
-Anne Herbert - Brilliant writer who is not currently publishing but did a great deal of writing in the seventies

That's off the top of my head.

On my shelf I see Twain, Hemingway (especially the Nick short stories), W.S. Burroughs, Poe, Solzhenitsyn, William Faulkner, Federico Garcia Lorca, Hubert Selby, Isaac Babel, Joe R. Lansdale, Poppy Z. Brite, Raymond Chandler, Tennessee Williams, Thomas Wolfe, Fante (both), Sylvia Plath, Carver, The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry, Jim Knipfel... there are more, but I'd have to put on my glasses.

S.A. Griffin doesn't ring a bell. But if everyone in Delaware says so, then he
must be worth at least asking for a few dollars from. How would I know him
when I see him? I call Santa Cruz, California "home".

Hey? You still have my mailing addy? I'm on the 'puter 'till about eight o'clock
tonight when I stop house sitting. I'd like to find out about your publishing
terms - - I've wanted to publish, but can't bring myself to participate in LuLu.
That's not a dig any more than not wanting to wear a Leisure suit during the
height of their fame was a dig. It's just a personal bias. Some little guy like
you appeals to me, especially since you understand the concept of
broadsides and Chap books. You would be a m a z e d at how many times
I've felt like a retarded nazi just broaching the subject with people.

By the way, of all the things in the world I would want to do while I have
access to a computer, of all the things to see, do, visit or participate in on
the World Wide Waste of time I choose bukowski.net - and I'm proud of it.

Heh.

Hi Papa,
S.A. Griffin was co-editor of Outlaw Bible of American Poetry. He is a friend. He lives in LA, CA. Yes, I have a mailing address and will send something out on Moday.

As far as Delaware. I meant that they make statements like "he is good people"... Not that they all know him... ha!~

All best,
Bill

bospress.net said:
Hi Papa,
S.A. Griffin was co-editor of Outlaw Bible of American Poetry. He is a friend. He lives in LA, CA.
Well, I needed to put my glasses on to remember he helped edit the book.
Interestingly, as you may know, but I'll pass it on here, Bukowski was not in
the Bible of Am. Poetry as his estate declined to grant permission. Trivia for
the forum.

bospress.net said:
Yes, I have a mailing address and will send something out on Moday.
Groovy.

bospress.net said:
As far as Delaware. I meant that they make statements like "he is good people"... Not that they all know him... ha!
Wicked kewl, d0oD - as the kids like to say. . . :D

Father Luke said:
Bukowski was not in
the Bible of Am. Poetry as his estate declined to grant permission. Trivia for
the forum.
Hi Father,
That is not 100% true. I cannot get into it in an open forum, but permission was granted, but there were issues that kept him out of the book. It also kept one of the editors from being listed in the first edition of the book. I believe there were supposed to be 5 or 6 Bukowski poems in there. Linda approved it personally....

Bill

Awwww, c'mon. Let's talk. Why didn't they let him in? In the preface they
said that there wasn't permission, didn't they?

There has been so much said about Grampy Buk, do we have to hazzard
guesses on this one?

Do tell... do tell.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Fair enough.

It was interesting to see Lenny Bruce included, and I enjoyed Dr. Hunter S. Thompson's poetic addition of the moment in the restraunt in Point Richmond he spent one evening.

William Faulkner.

Light in August
Absalom, Absalom
As I Lay Dying
Go Down, Moses
Sanctuary

Every book a classic.
This is the way writing is supposed to be. That is what I thought when I first read Faulkner. I've since learned to enjoy a lot of different styles. Read some of the giants; Joyce, Lowry, Dostoevsky (actually Fyodor blows me away too), But nobody has knocked me over the way Faulkner did and still does, consistently, story after story.

You UK folks, especially you Irish and Scots have a wonderful sense of the English language, especially its alliterative possibilities, that I think comes from the way you "talk" the language every day. It's so much richer than our American versions in my opinion. Anyway, my favorites living include Jamie O'Neill, Paul West, Pat Barker, E.L. Doctorow, Stephen Fry, Carlos Fuentes, Cormac McCarthy, Edmund White; dead = John Fante, Paul Bowles, Bukowski, Alfred Chester, John Cheever, E.M. Forster, lots of the Victorians, especially Jane Austen, yes, that's right, Austen, and I'll kick anyone's ass who snickers (ok maybe I'm a little overdefensive there) and Trollope, Jean Genet, Gerard Manley Hopkins (keep him close by at all times), Somerset Maugham, Pasolini, Gertrude Stein, Evelyn Waugh and Sir Walter Scott, HAH!

MarkDB said:
...lots of the Victorians, especially Jane Austen...
Todays history lesson: Jane Austen died 2 years before Victoria was born. George III was the reigning monarch from 1760 to 1820.

Not that I'm a Royalist or anything!

The Buk is dead. Long live the Buk!

For me its particularly these guys:

L.F. Celine
K. Hamsun
F. Dostoijevsky
H. Miller
W.S. Burroughs
E. Hemingway

Sylvia Plath
Bukowski (of course)
Keats
Charlotte Bronte
Jacqueline Carey (For the Kushiel series)
Farley Mowat
Jack London
jim kjelgaard
Kelly Armstong
Aldous Huxley
Dante
*coughFrancinePascalcough*

There are more but I'm having a moment right now haha, I'm sure they'll come to me.

Anyone here familiar with novels by Richard "Kinky' Friedman? Some of his works sort of remind me of Bukowski's Pulp (e.g. the "absurd' humor, the conversations, the drinking of whiskey). Nice things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I saw an interview with him on Charlie Rose. Quite an interesting character, though I haven't read him yet. I think he writes absurdist westerns or something, doesn't he? He is also a musician I think and is running for Governor of Texas. I think we could benefit from more politicians like him.

My tastes change but Scott Heim's last two novels (Mysterious Skin, and In Awe) were extraordinarily compelling. At this moment right now, he's my favorite author, and I can't wait for "We Disappear" to be released.

Charles Bukowski, Louis-Ferdinand Celine, John Fante, Oscar "Zeta" Acosta, George Orwell, Friedrich Nietzsche, Aldous Huxley, Sun Tzu, Hermann Hesse, Jack Kerouac, Ken Kesey, Oscar Wilde, Victor Zygonov, William S.Burroughs Henry Rollins, Theodor W. Adorno, Tom Wolfe (one book), Kafka, Mark Twain, Plato, John Wirtz, Edgar Allan Poe,Henry Miller, Dostoevsky, John Steinbeck, Jack London, T.S.Eliot, Neil Peart (yes the drummer), Dr.Seuss, David Lee Roth (yes, the singer), Doctor Hunter S. Thompson. . .

There's more, but I'm feeling lazy.

LIVING:
Harry crews
Murakami
Cormac McCarthy
Bret Easton Ellis
Edward Abbey
Nick Hornby
Palahniuk

DEAD:
Bukowski
Brautigan
Fante
Hubert Selby Jr.
Nelson Algren

Just to name a few.
Oh, yeah Lester Bangs. I've never read anything by him but heard of him through the book PLEASE KILL ME the uncensored oral history of punk by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain. Great book.

jerry said:
LIVING:
Harry crews
Murakami
Cormac McCarthy
Bret Easton Ellis
Edward Abbey
Nick Hornby
Palahniuk
Sorry to have to be the one to break the news to you but Ed Abbey has been dead for quite a while now (like 10 or 12 years?).

No, you?re not the only Burroughs fan here ;)

Ps.: May I recommend that you read "The letters of William S. Burroughs
1945 - 59", edited by Oliver Harris. His letters are very interesting and often funny...

Camus
William S. Burroughs
Raymond Carver
Hubert Selby
Knut Hamsun
Alexander Trocchi
Bukowski
Bob Dylan
Rimbaud
Cormac McCarthy

Sorry to have to be the one to break the news to you but Ed Abbey has been dead for quite a while now (like 10 or 12 years?).

And the last time he smiled was when his friends told him where he'd be buried (in the Arizona desert somewhere). They got a case of beer and some whiskey and transported his body illegally... I always liked that story.

Anyway:

Abbey
Buk
Celine
Dostoyevsky
Fante
Hamsun
Hesse
Sartre
Thoreau
Tolstoy
Twain
Wilde

And there many too many I haven't even read yet...

Bukowski
Richard Yates(criminally under-rated)
Douglas Coupland
TC Boyle
Willy Vlautin(ok he's only written one,but its sublime.Oh and his band make shit-hot music)

Anyone here read Selby?
Also, if you are interested, check out "and the ass saw the angel" by Nick Cave. Very dark and disturbing book....

The Nick Cave lectures are a distraction too, he talks about the lyrics to a kylie Minogue song being the darkest ever written, oh and some stuff about his dad and religion and blah blah blah

- Bukowski
- Miller
- Wojaczek
- Dostojewski
- Hemingway
- Celine
- Brautigan
- Ginsberg
- Cendrars
- Whitman
- Laferierre

And more. I don't remember right now.

Bukowski, Jim Thompson, Algren, Tennesee Williams, Wilde, Carson McCullers, Steinbeck, Kerouac and I'll add Lester Bangs, too, because he was the firsrt writer to make me enjoy reading (though I didn't know it at the time.)

For live guys I've recently read Nick Flynn, Richard Perez and Arthur Nersesian and liked then all, oh, and Dan Fante.

kerouac.
salinger.
hemingway.
steinbeck.
mccullers.
waller.
rilke.
thoreau.
ginsberg.
de prima.
rimbaud.
edward abbey (thank you, m).
i think i am obligated to say the buk.
i also feel i should throw in jean craighead george, gary paulsen, e.l. konigsburg, katherine paterson, scott odell, and harper lee - my school year reading.
the list continues to grow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back