Favourite moments/stories from South of No North? (1 Viewer)

I finished this yesterday for the first time. Great! For me the stongest stories were: All the Assholes in the World and Mine, The Devil was Hot, A Couple of Winos, The Way the Dead Love, Dr Nazi and Confessions of a Man Insane Enough to Live with Beasts. Typically a fucked up mixture of the disturbing, dirty, sad and laugh out loud funny- mainly the latter.

Anyway off the top of my head the random little parts that made me crack up:

-When he's in the closet jacking off at the reflection of his legs with his mother's high heels. (Confessions of a Man Insane Enough to Live with Beasts)
-Any scene involving the 'yellow piss-bird'. i.e. the old man in the hospital he describes as a "big fat bird dipped in urine and sundried." (All the Assholes in the World and Mine) I also liked how he cuts back and forth from the Catholic prayer book near the end. Genius!
-The Doctor in Dr.Nazi.
-How the Devil says "My Son.." in every sentence. (The Devil Was Hot)
-When they are going to mug a rich fat guy with the baseball bat...instead Chinaski get's it round the head. (The Way the Dead Love)

Oh, there's a lot more. I really enjoyed that alot, particularly once it got further into the book.

My absolute favorite short story is where he gets the job unloading butchered beef cow. He doesn't last but half a shift. His boots are two size smaller slipping and sliding on the blood and slime... Stardust Kid being defeated in the school yard...or something? I am not sure though if it's from the same book?

[...] the job unloading butchered beef cow. [...] I am not sure though if it's from the same book?

I think that appeared first in the little piece 'Cofessions of a man insane enough to live with beasts' later to be included in 'South'. But it's also a story in 'Erections'.

From 'South' I really loved:
- You and your beer
- Politics
- A Man
- Class
- You can't write a love story
- This is what killed Dylan Thomas
- The way the Dead love
- All the Assholes ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back