"furlqump" by brett harder - coming this fall from chance press (1 Viewer)

jordan

lothario speedwagon
so, in our tradition of announcing books WAY before they'll ever be ready, here's a thread about our next book, 'furlqump' by brett harder. brett is an amazing artist who chance press has plucked from obscurity (if by "obscurity" you mean "studying biology in college") to publish his first book. furlqump is a bizarre children's book that follows a common trope of the genre - a misunderstood character is cast out for being different, only to return to save the day when the conformist characters need his eccentricity to solve a problem) - although in this case, the characters are mute creatures who wear masks and communicate either by proxy using bug-sized surrogates or by eating magic seeds and emanating free-form shapes from their heads while they convulse on the ground. there will be three editions of escalating complexity and cost - here is a the cover for the trade edition and a mockup of the limited-edition hardcover. bill is going to be doing some letterpress printing for us (including, if it looks good, a blind-stamp over the image on the cover of the hardcover), so you should definitely get excited about this one.

P1040167.jpg

not quite so exotic - it's the same bookcloth we used for carol's book, which i think is made in italy. i use it for mockups, since i have a good deal of it left.

Yeah, I cannot say enough about this book. It is a kids book, yes, but also no. The story goes much deeper and it really takes an adult mind to understand it. Really something that people who like their literature to have deep, but not cliche'd MEANING will love.

Imagine getting the chance to buy a first edition of Where the Wild Things Are or The Missing Piece as publication price and passing on it.

If you think that you need one, you need two....

Bill

I just bought a HB copy. I wanted something to liven up bedtime stories with my 3 year old. I have no idea whether this will turn her onto drugs, but it looks great.

Justine and Jordan are here in town this weekend and they brought this book with them. It's really cool. This too. Both really nice looking books. They seem to know what they're doing.

I know, it seems unbelievable, given their odd, antagonistic personalities and weird choices in footwear, but it's true.

Justine and Jordan in Los Angeles unveiling their next book; a burry red plasma field containing a book that was written using every word in the English language without repeating any word twice.

J&JinLA.jpg

My little girl loves it. She keeps talking about the 'little man on the swing'. It was great to read her a bedtime story that I could enjoy too, and the design and build of this book match up perfectly with the quality of the story being told. Great work!

p.s. My little girl would like to point out that she also enjoyed mjp's book, but can't understand why she can't draw on his pages seeing as he can draw on other peoples.

when did you sneak that photo??? also: thanks for not photoshopping out my double chin, really appreciate that.

Sorry, I'll photoshop it out when I repost the image on my fashion blog.

Nobody reads this forum anyway, didn't you know? Bukowski would hate it.

so, we had planned a deluxe edition of furlqump for a while, but the horrible bitch of a deluxe edition of skinner's book got in the way. (i'm only halfway through making that one, but i have to take a break from it, since it is a time-sucking black hole, and if i didn't put it off, i'd never get to these other projects!)

anyway, here's the first photo of the book - it is a hardcover portfolio that has a real spine (our first hardcover with a real spine), and each copy contains a 5x7 hardcover of the actual book (similar to the hardcover we already released but bound in different cloth), plus an 8.5 x 11 giclee of EVERY PAGE OF THE BOOK!

each copy is signed and (hopefully) contains an original sketch.

10 copies, $125, but don't pay yet - knowing me, these won't be ready until christmas.

537702_10150891685493267_1477448394_n.jpg

let's not forget that bill letterpressed the "furlqump" title lettering on some japanese mulberry paper that i still plan to use. the rest of the materials for the inside will be here next week, and i can post some updates then. ooooh, i'm excited to see how this one turns out!

working on books like this makes me want to give up "publishing" and just make super short-run fancy books, selling them to the same five people over and over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back