Game of Thrones (1 Viewer)

Dobie Gillis and The Honeymooners can kiss my ass, the Golden Age of TV has unfolded in the last 5 to 10 years - Breaking Bad, Spartacus, Rome, Mad Men, Dexter, The Wire, Deadwood, The Shield, Boardwalk Empire and this show are the best TV has ever had to offer. A fan of the Martin books and the series so far has served the books well.

They filmed some of this on the island (Gozo) I lived on last year. It was weird seeing an army of medieval folk hanging out on such a small island; they probably thought they were being invaded again. Anyway, a friend copied me the show to watch whilst I was out there (local tv was either weird catholicovision or Italian craziness) and I thought it kicked some balls. I also agree that there's been some great American shows in recent years. God knows why so many networks have been ripping off our (England's) crappy shows. Mind you we deserve something from the US after two and a half men. And just about every sitcom you've sent us. But drama, yep, we're liking that.

Somehow you forgot the best one. I fixed that for you.

watchsonsofanarchy.jpg

Sons-of-Anarchy-Jax.jpg

35718_orig.jpg

They filmed some of this on the island (Gozo) I lived on last year. I also agree that there's been some great American shows in recent years. God knows why so many networks have been ripping off our (England's) crappy shows. Mind you we deserve something from the US after two and a half men. And just about every sitcom you've sent us.
Would have loved to have seen what you did in the making of this series. You should be ashamed of yourself thinking we US fellas owe you anything after all the great anti-nuke inspired songs we dealt you in the late 70s and through the 80s. From The Clash to Morrissey I'd consider it all cultural-enrichment. Shame on you.

Somehow you forgot the best one. I fixed that for you.
How dare you sully my thread with these bike riding heathens. To make amends I'll be magnanimous and challenge you to this - I'll give the 1st season of Sons of Anarchy a try if you'll give the 1st season of Game of Thrones a try. Deal?

I'll give the 1st season of Sons of Anarchy a try if you'll give the 1st season of Game of Thrones a try. Deal?
I've seen some of the Thrones show (I always want to say thorns, since I don't live in a monarchy and we don't have thrones, except in the bathroom) and I'll pass.

It wouldn't be a fair trade. You'd be getting something awesome and all I'd get in return is some sexed-up fantasy, where midgets wield power in a time when they would have been killed as infants, and if they lived, shunned, living in a pile of mud somewhere. No midget gang leaders in Sons. Just a lot of mayhem, guns, motorcycles and revenge.

Which I suppose makes the two of them the same show anyway. You know, with the exception of the guns, motorcycles and the magic midget.

There's only one midget, and unlike most viewers, I don't think he's all that important a character. He's only powerful because he was born into a royal/noble/whatever family, and he's not that powerful. The most interesting characters, for me, are the Kahleesi and her husband, her dragons, her brother, and the guy who would do anything for her (I can't keep track of all their names), and the various children. All the men fighting each other to be king kind of bore me. I want someone to lop off Geoffrey's head -- he's a destestible little shit.

In the books the dwarf Tyrion is described as being very homely, nearly grotesque, in appearance. All others cast in the series are remarkably close to how I visualized them when reading the books. If I remember correctly, the author based the conflict in Westeros off the Wars of the Roses - Lancaster = Lannister / York = Stark. Great series with plenty of jaw-dropping moments. As for what awaits our favorite detestable little shit.....*

I've never watched Game of Thrones, and I have friends who love it, but I can't get past the fact it looks like something Spinal Tap would write a song about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back