Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen (1 Viewer)

I write my introduction seated upon one of those corporate desks designed to hold us in, working the nine to five that old Buk loathed. I've bored anyone who'll listen with quotes from Buk (including some blank faced mares) and so I feel happy to have fallen into this haven where some may listen and some may care.
I'm of British stock living in the little town of Brighton by sea, for those who do not know this place its a home to a mix of lefties, anarchists, students and bums who are slowly being replaced by latte drinking city slickers turning every brown site into a luxury apartment.....sorry I've begun my ranting again.

I got into Hank through a crazy (literally) ex girlfriend, one evening while she was sitting naked upon our rooftop threatening to jump I spotted a copy of 'Tales of Ordinary Madness'. Thinking it was another of her self help manuals I was at first sceptical but upon closer inspection I found myself being dragged in. Three hours later the neighbours had called the police (again) but I was too enthralled to leave my seat.
I now live alone in a bedsit, still reading tales of bums and booze spending time between working to pay for my four walls, painting and writing (usually unintentionally copying whomever I'm reading!)

Anyway the crux of this is 'Hello how are you?'

I now live alone in a bedsit, still reading tales of bums and booze spending time between working to pay for my four walls, painting and writing (usually unintentionally copying whomever I'm reading!)

well, I like your honesty already. I usually lie when people say I sound like someone. "Hell no, I never heard of that writer!" Aggressive false ignorance, I call it.
welcome.

Fortunately I haven't read 'Mein Kampf' lately! though I do find myself spewing Marxist propoganda... but end up sounding less Karl and more Groucho.
Its an interesting question though; does literature still carry the same power to influence? or has everyone stopped reading?

I mean this in a broad sense and in an historical context, not just how it makes me sound like a walking anthology of quotes!

In my opinion reading is becoming a lost art, so no to your question. Getting lost in your thoughts is not as compelling as watching somebody's guts spew out over some large screen TV or in the movies. However, I have seen some measurements that tend to prove that as a person ages they start to read again, that is assuming that they can read.

You certainly can see the increase in book stores, Borders, Barns and Noble, Amazon, etc. and this may tie in with the aging population of the US or other countries.

I must admit that I like watching movies on the big screen, but I never gave up reading. But then I grew up in a family that read all the time. My oldest son reads all the time, but not so for my other children. I hope they discover reading, better than any drug, better than sex and good for you.

But then this is just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
some people think, if you are a writer, you should stop reading, because the more you read, the more you start believing everything you write is derivative.
I read and read and read to confirm everything I write is derivative.
that way I won't be taken by surprise.
I hate surprises.

Fortunately I haven't read 'Mein Kampf' lately! though I do find myself spewing Marxist propoganda... but end up sounding less Karl and more Groucho.
Its an interesting question though; does literature still carry the same power to influence? or has everyone stopped reading?

I mean this in a broad sense and in an historical context, not just how it makes me sound like a walking anthology of quotes!

Welcome, BedsitBukaroo! ...I think that a lot of people under forty never got into reading books. They grew up with computer games and movies. When they do buy a book it's usually a non-fiction book on a subject of their interests. I know a few people like that so maybe I'm prejudiced. It would be interesting to know how many of the books sold are non-fiction and how many are books of literature. I wonder whether the sale of literature has increased or decreased over the years...

Last edited by a moderator:
I write my introduction seated upon one of those corporate desks designed to hold us in, working the nine to five that old Buk loathed. I've bored anyone who'll listen with quotes from Buk (including some blank faced mares) and so I feel happy to have fallen into this haven where some may listen and some may care.
I'm of British stock living in the little town of Brighton by sea, for those who do not know this place its a home to a mix of lefties, anarchists, students and bums who are slowly being replaced by latte drinking city slickers turning every brown site into a luxury apartment.....sorry I've begun my ranting again.

I got into Hank through a crazy (literally) ex girlfriend, one evening while she was sitting naked upon our rooftop threatening to jump I spotted a copy of 'Tales of Ordinary Madness'. Thinking it was another of her self help manuals I was at first sceptical but upon closer inspection I found myself being dragged in. Three hours later the neighbours had called the police (again) but I was too enthralled to leave my seat.

Anyway the crux of this is 'Hello how are you?'

i'm doing just fine
thank you

the highlighted in red above
describes san diego's transitional trend.
in the last 6 months
THREE starbucks have opened for business
within a stone throw of one another
just in the small community (north park) where i live.
and seems there are alot more luxury autos
and bush supporters that make the hipsters
that are responsible for much of the
charm of the streets seem out of place.
the surrounding countryside
blisters with the upper-middleclass infection
of urban sprawl, 'master planned communities' (joke)
better get to the beach early before the crowd
or anywhere for that matter

welcome

btw: BOYCOTT STARBUCKS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back