Greetings from NYC (1 Viewer)

I don't remember when I first heard of Bukowski.
I think it was when I read "so you want to be a writer?" online in 2003 or so, when someone sent me a link.
immediately dug it. liked it a lot actually, and i immediately read Post Office.
saw Born Into This, spent hours reading random poem after random poem,
when flipping through the dozens of Buk's books at the Clovis (old bookstore in Brooklyn),
and finally, I devoured Gay Brewer's great book.
etc etc

in short,
this is the good shit. and in the good shit is where i'll stay.

-mg

I don't remember when I first heard of Bukowski.
I think it was when I ...

[snip]

and finally, I devoured Gay Brewer's great book.
etc etc

How'd you like Gay Brewer's book? I haven't read it, and there is one or two
available, as of this writing, used.

Glad you've found your way here. :)

I have a question about NYC, hopefully someone can answer it for me. In all the copshows set in NYS there's always...........steam coming out of the manholes. wtf is going on up there????

That is from the warm air from the subways hitting the cold air outside. I don't think that this happens in the Summer. If it does then that ain't steam....

Bill

I see. The steam reminders me of a giant melting pot or a volcano that's ready to erupt anytime and often without warning

Long hot summers apparently make the place volatile to increases in crime and sundry acts of madness in the general population (like most big cities). It may not be coincidence that the Son of Sam murders happened during an oppressive heatwave

In regards the Brewer book... I've said this here a few times now, but I think it's great.
It's not overly dry, but nor is it trite or flippant.
Brewer treats the works he reviews with respect, not awe, he doesn't try to come off as sounding like Buk and, most importantly, he treats Buk as what he was; a writer.
He is not interested in drawing from a personal relationship with Buk (he never met him) and he clearly likes his subjects writing but can criticize it when appropriate.
There is a enough in that book for me to have read and re-read it a dozen times.
This and the Harrisson book are the only two books that treat Buk as a writer, rather than some sociological oddity.

I'll shut up now.

I have a question about NYC, hopefully someone can answer it for me. In all the copshows set in NYS there's always...........steam coming out of the manholes. wtf is going on up there????

That is from the warm air from the subways hitting the cold air outside.

2077720418_e5f0fddc78_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back