Hello (1 Viewer)

Hello, I am new. Here is how I got here. Sometime back in the 80s, I saw a documentary about Andy Warhol. I really don't remember ANYTHING about the movie, except this part with Mr. Bukowski talking about how after he wrote something, he didn't spend a lot of time looking at it or patting himself on the back about it. He said he thought of it like a beershit. You do it, then you flush it down the toilet and foreget about it. So then years went by, now I own a video store, and we got the new Bukowski documentary. I watched it and fell in love. At the end, when he reads Bluebird, and he says, "But I don't weep, do you?", I just sat there and stared at the tv for like 5 minutes. I really hate most poetry. This is the first poem, EVER, that has affected me like that. I am 40 years old. I must have rewound it 4 or 5 times. So I ran right out and bought Hot Water Music, which I love, love, loved. Each story is like a little piece of gold. Now I am almost done with Ham on Rye. I scored at the used book store, where I picked up Women, Notes of a Dirty old Man, South of No North, and Ham on Rye. I can't wait to read them! Oh, and you can add me to the list of females who like Bukowski.

That's me.

I watched it and fell in love. At the end, when he reads Bluebird, and he says, "But I don't weep, do you?", I just sat there and stared at the tv for like 5 minutes. I really hate most poetry. This is the first poem, EVER, that has affected me like that.

that's the great power of B.

welcome here!

Hi, welcome, I'm new also and my story is a lot like yours. I was in my local library last month and there on the new release shelf was 'Come On in!' a NEW book of poetry. I ignored it because I'm not interested in Bukowski, 25 years ago read a short story and was disgusted( child, rape) and never thought to pick him up again. Then oddly, I see on Showtime on-demand the same night the offering of 'Born Into This'. I decide there is something going on ( the next day I learn about the Factotum movie) so I watch it and fuckin BAM.
I havent even read any of the fiction yet, it's only been a month, but I amliterally tingling with pleasure and lots of out-loud giggles which for me is rare with the poetry. I cant believe how much I love his 'poesy' and his voice, and his face..... and I hate poetry, except my own which I think is really good ( much like Buk!).
So. Delighted to see another woman here who found him 'later in life' as I'm 40 as well, and a Calif girl too! WELCOME!

Hey, thanx for all the welcomes. No, I don't remember the name of the Warhol documentary, but I saw it at the Tower Theater in Sacramento. Hi, Hannah. I am picturing you with the same look on your face as when I am reading Buk. It is a really wide, teeth together smile, with "hee-hee!" every few minutes, and putting my book down to clap as I'm laughing my head off! Did you used to live in California? It says Texas, so I wasn't sure. Where did/or do you live in CA?

Born and raised in California, Orange County no less!
When Buk writes about watching the lights on the freway, the constant parade i like to think I was on occassion one of those, used to go into San Pedro and other areas of L.A. a lot as a teen going to punk shows.
Write me, lets talk girly-Buk talk sometime!
hannah (at) bukowski.net

Actually I drink cheap wine. Slowly and throughout the day.

And my rule is if I can get a man, any man as long as he has hands to lay them upon my feet I'll say anything in front of him, even when it's that gawd-awful low-tone secretive shit we girls like to spill all over each-other given the chance.

And besides, if your rubbing my feet, or any other part of myself, I wont be talking shit about you.
We can talk about Olaf!

Could I get three of ya'all over here actually? One to whisper Buk in my ear while changing Tom Waits c.d's on the stereo, one to rub my feet and one to serve my sister-in-arms here good dark foreign beer while working her aching shoulders from her long hours in the video store?
Man, that would be nice.

Does it surprise me that you also love Tom Waits? No, not at all. I am really enjoying whisky these days. But I do love a good dark foreign beer. The darker the better! Ok, I am copying down your email address, and will write you soon. Have you read Hot Water Music? If so, what is your favorite story? Oh, I am in the Sierra Nevada Foothills.

Hi All,

BUK was in the documentary "Poetry in Motion" in 1982, I think there he gives a description of poetry being simillar to a "beershit". Could that have been the film?

Hmmm. I guess it could have been that, but I always thought it was the Andy Warhol Documentary. The 80s were a long time ago. Maybe I saw both films at the same theater and just lumped them into one film.

Was Poetry In Motion in theaters? I thought it was just a dvd release, or computer disc or whatever it was. I have it around here somewhere...

I havent read Hot Water Music. I'm having a helluva time finding books.
I have an ad on 'wanted' in Craiglist looking for local beat up copies of anything.
And I hit the half price bookstore (used and remainders) with no luck so far.
A four colume collection of letters but from that UK press, so far Im not thrilled with the editing.
The library doesnt have shit, hopefully we will be leaving this idiotic suburb soon and living somewhere with better loaning libraries.
Off to bed, just tried watching 'Walk The Line', I have no patience with movies.
Where did I put that little yellow pill?

The Tower Theater in Sacramento isn't a regular movie theater. It shows art films and offbeat stuff. And now that you have mentioned the film "Poetry in motion" it is sounding more and more familiar.

Hannah, yeah, I was really surprised to find not ONE Bukowski book in my local library. Not even a biography. Good luck with the book search.

The only stories I remember from HWM (vaguely at best, even though I read it only a couple months ago) are the one about the guy that blasts the bartender. Was that story ALSO the one in which a couple and the narrator eat a young boy? If not, that's the other story.

The Tower Theater in Sacramento isn't a regular movie theater. It shows art films and offbeat stuff. And now that you have mentioned the film "Poetry in motion" it is sounding more and more familiar.

Hannah, yeah, I was really surprised to find not ONE Bukowski book in my local library. Not even a biography. Good luck with the book search.

You have to demand that they order them. That works for me.

SD

I have an ad on 'wanted' in Craiglist looking for local beat up copies of anything.
A four colume collection of letters but from that UK press, so far Im not thrilled with the editing.
The library doesnt have shit, hopefully we will be leaving this idiotic suburb soon and living somewhere with better loaning libraries.
Off to bed, just tried watching 'Walk The Line', I have no patience with movies.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...0865/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-2496889-2872820?ie=UTF8

Here for less than half the cover price ($7.05) plus shipping.

SD

g.w.
banned bukowski
from all bookstores in texas

I hit on bukowski in my late twenties, came at him from a different direction. In 1988 I read a book by John Fante called ASK THE DUST, published by Black Sparrow Press(I highly recommend this book). The foreward was written by Charles Bukowski. I proceeded to pick up WOMEN and FACTOTUM. HAM ON RYE, however, was a revelation. That book carries so much emotion at its heart and on every page I found myself either laughing or on the edge of my seat. My impression of Bukowski is a man who lived what he wrote about, he was what he wrote about. And its not because he drank or did this or did that. He was. In the early days of reading him, I found myself tempted to go his way, but i realize that is for fools. I am not going to drink like a fish, live like a bum, etc... because that's not me. If my life happens to take me there, ok, but I am not bukowski and neither is anybody else. He wrote like he lived. It just came out. And that's the way it is. Don't try. Don't pretend. Just be.

applause.gif

Happy Reading

Hello, I am new. Here is how I got here. Sometime back in the 80s, I saw a documentary about Andy Warhol. I really don't remember ANYTHING about the movie, except this part with Mr. Bukowski talking about how after he wrote something, he didn't spend a lot of time looking at it or patting himself on the back about it. He said he thought of it like a beershit. You do it, then you flush it down the toilet and foreget about it. So then years went by, now I own a video store, and we got the new Bukowski documentary. I watched it and fell in love. At the end, when he reads Bluebird, and he says, "But I don't weep, do you?", I just sat there and stared at the tv for like 5 minutes. I really hate most poetry. This is the first poem, EVER, that has affected me like that. I am 40 years old. I must have rewound it 4 or 5 times. So I ran right out and bought Hot Water Music, which I love, love, loved. Each story is like a little piece of gold. Now I am almost done with Ham on Rye. I scored at the used book store, where I picked up Women, Notes of a Dirty old Man, South of No North, and Ham on Rye. I can't wait to read them! Oh, and you can add me to the list of females who like Bukowski.

That's me.

Wonderful letter.

I think there are many people who "hate most poetry" and change their minds after coming across a poem like "The Bluebird". His poems are understandable even if the reader might happen to disagree with his point of view. There is a potentially huge market of readers he tapped into, because he's essentially honest and knows how to be simple, funny, or say something amazingly true that one can actually use in life, or it makes one ponder certain fundamental realities. That's why it's enjoyable for me to see the enthusiasm of new readers when they come across one of the mother lodes of literature: the rich interior world of a certain Charles Bukowski.

Hi, I was registered under ESMoist before...but something happened and I cannot use that name, so it's me, Mr. Moist...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back