hi buk fans (1 Viewer)

I got introduced to buk about 8 years ago and I can't get enough of his writings, short stories and novels especially. I live in the cultural desert of North Wales as far as cult American novelists go, so if there are any Buk lovers close to me, please, please get in touch. I do write a little, even had some shorts published both here (UK)and US, although nothing major.
Glad to be h:) ere.

But that's why it's a cultural desert...:D

Welcome to the forum, Maxie!...

Last edited by a moderator:
yes cale and jones are Welsh,both faves of mine too. Wales has got culture galore, Dylan Thomas, R S Thomas etc etc and more in the Welsh language, however I haven't come acroos many lovers of cult writers such as Bukowski, Fante et al here. Hopefully, there may be some other Welsh cult lovers here...

Hey maxie, just out of curiousity (and here I perhaps prove to be the geek I am) how is John Cowper Powys viewed in Wales. What a find he's been for me!

I came to him via Henry Miller and read everything I could get my hot little paws on. Talk about a misfit, huh. But one who refused to think that his feelings weren't as valid as any other's.

Does he have a place at all in your literature? cult or otherwise?

I know Miller mentions (even quotes, if my shady memory is correct) JCP's Meaning of Culture in Plexus.

Glastonbury Romance is one I haven't gotten to yet, but Wolf Solent, Defense of Sensuality, Autobiography, and Dostoievski are among my favorites.

Where does Miller mention Glastonbury Romance?

Where does Miller mention Glastonbury Romance?

it could be in any of his books. helpful, what? :) i have a New Directions publication entitled HENRY MILLER ON WRITING, and as the title suggests it is a selection taken from his many books. it's SOMEWHERE in there but i can't seem to locate it!

have you heard of a book by Powys entitled THE INMATES.

JC Powys

Heard the name but not read any of his work-never come across anyone who has in my circle of friends. I'll try to read some of his work asap, you never know, I may love it.

i have by my side "weymouth sands" - which i started reading a long time ago - back in 2000. i will try once again to read it. he is a very odd guy - a real outsider, i think. most of his books seem to be very long. i have a hard time with long books. thats just the way i am. but what ive read of him - very good.

paul

it could be in any of his books. helpful, what? :) i have a New Directions publication entitled HENRY MILLER ON WRITING, and as the title suggests it is a selection taken from his many books. it's SOMEWHERE in there but i can't seem to locate it!

have you heard of a book by Powys entitled THE INMATES.

As I'm living overseas at the time I can't check any of this out, but I'm sure you're right about it at least being in one of Miller's "Big Sur" books, or at least I'm guessing it wouldn't be in any of the NY books. I only say this because it was Powys The Lecturer that Miller found initially. Miller talks about it in Sexus, Nexus, or Plexus (helpful, what?); how he happened upon a Nietzsche lecture that was being given by JCP while on tour in the states. Miller talks about JCP's strange whirling dervish sort of mannerisms and how he seemingly forgot the crowd and wasn't merely talking about Nietzsche, but conjuring his spirit. The Jim Morrison of literature, so to speak. Anyway, it would be Powys the essayist he was primarily turned onto. The novels came later. At least this is my guess.

No,I haven't heard of The Inmates, but I found this on Psychoanalytic Electronic Publishing (A site I visit at least 38 times a day....what?!)

In a prefatory and explanatory note, John Cowper Powys rejects as not 'equivalent to reality' Matthew Arnold's famous Greek 'word for it', spoudaios, 'having the utmost seriousness'. Actually, that is exactly what his new novel has. It is wholly serious, in the French (or Greek) sense. And often very funny, in any sense, or none. For in it he sets out 'to defend the crazy ideas of mad people"”in so far, of course, as they don't run to homicide or cruelty"”against the conventional ideas of sane people'. Why the 'of course' proscription of homicide and cruelty? Children, primitive people, and the insane are all naturally cruel because their experience cannot comprehend the 'other' person or thing: there

- 287 -

I'd read it. Is it as good as it sounds?

While I got the attention (I think) of a coupla Brits, just wondering: Whadya all think of Colin Wilson??

I enjoyed "The Outsider" and "Relgion and the Rebel", but there's.....something....that.....bugs me (I suppose) about the guy. Anything else by him worth my time?

I think he wrote a good book on the religious aspects of Rasputin. I read many years ago...

While I got the attention (I think) of a coupla Brits, just wondering: Whadya all think of Colin Wilson??

I enjoyed "The Outsider" and "Relgion and the Rebel", but there's.....something....that.....bugs me (I suppose) about the guy. Anything else by him worth my time?

Wilson is great! if i remember correctly he slept rough on Hamstead Heath to find the time to write The Outsider! Wilson's Poetry & Mysticism (published by City Lights, no less!) might be worth your time. he does repeat his ideas about consciousness and "peak experiences," but what an interesting and pertinent subject!

there's also A Criminal History of Mankind which is fascinating.

the blurb on the back of A.D. Winans' book about Buk is by one C.W. would love to hear Wilson's take on B., huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back