Hi, I worked near Buk at Hollywood Park racetrack (1 Viewer)

Hi, I just found this site and just wanted to say hello to all the Bukowski fans here and let you all know I had frequent Bukowski sightings when I was younger and was a ticket girl at Hollywood park in the late 80s early 90's. I was usually a stones throw from Bukowski whenever I worked the clubhouse spot. He was very quiet..but I swear, I'll never forget his piercing eyes. I'm telling you people, a Bukowski split second stare has haunted me for 25 years!

Here's another thing, Buks horse racing system DOES work! A group of us at the track used it for years and we would have some killer wins! ...I have some hints on it if anyone wants to know more..

Hi,
lora, good to see the racing system worked !
Hello all Buk fans, I'm a fan and i just found this site. I'm a postal worker and on e of the 1st books by Bukowski i read was "post office",
since then, read a lot more.

blaze

Buks horse racing system DOES work! A group of us at the track used it for years and we would have some killer wins! ...I have some hints on it if anyone wants to know more..
Can I get a hint? And does he ever go over his system in any of his works?

The work in which he discusses his system most prominently is Horsemeat (a particular favorite of mine, which is not typical 'round these parts), which, if you don't feel like spending $1,500-$2,000+, also appears in the readily-available 1984 publication War All The Time. Mainly, he explains what not to do based on the masses of humanity around him, but he does offer a cryptic remark:

"...the new theory
(Formula K) enacts itself:
M plus S plus C plus O
(brought down to
the relative power of
1/4 each): and the horse with the
lowest total is
the winner."

In other words, yes, he most certainly does discuss his system, but in a manner that tells you to go pound sand.

Last edited:
Thanks! My favorite poems are the ones from the track. I will have to track down a copy. I know there have been some issues with editing, was there anything changed from Horsemeat to War all the Time?

Thanks! My favorite poems are the ones from the track.

When he's writing about the misfits and subhumanes at the track, I might agree. But he didn't do enough of those, in my opinion. If Abel does a book on "Horses and Bukowski" I might have to protest. I get that he was infatuated with it, but for the majority of Buk readers, it's... Ok, I'll say it, fucking boring as horse shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back