His Early Gems (1 Viewer)

Hi. I'm new to this message-board.

I've been a Bukowski fan for about 3 or 4 years. I'm into writing, probably too much. I write every day like a bad habbit, and hope to become a Writer/Director when I'm older. [I stress the 'hope' so much]

Anyway, I was wondering, does anyone know where I could get Bukowski's earlier books of poetry. I remember reading about 'The Flower...Bestial Wall' or something a while ago, but it seems to be out of print.

Could someone show me a site to get his earliest stuff. I'm intrested to see the difference between that and his more recent material. I'm guessing it's going to be more 'lyrical'.

Thanks if you can help.

Pick up "The Roominghouse Madrigals" & "Burning In Water, Drowning In Flame" for some great early stuff. Also, "Mockingbird Wish Me Luck" & The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses...".

Bill

The Sure and the Footed

Could someone show me a site to get his earliest stuff. I'm intrested to see the difference between that and his more recent material. I'm guessing it's going to be more 'lyrical'.
Thanks if you can help.

There is indeed a passionate lyricism to be found ("The Tragedy of the Leaves"). I would also say that some of the earlier poems are more 'epic' in their vision and splendor, but with the same sure-footed, measured rhythm of his final years. His work is like one long continuous stream from the fountain head of his muse, exploring everything from the ugly to the sublime...from the fanciful to the rediculous. Everything was grist for the ginmill of his soul.

Luck with your writing.

Poptop

Anyway, I was wondering, does anyone know where I could get Bukowski's earlier books of poetry. I remember reading about 'The Flower...Bestial Wall' or something a while ago, but it seems to be out of print.
Check the titles Bill recommended. Black Sparrow reprinted most of the contents of the early books. Things like Flower, Fist... are not only very difficult to find, but very expensive when you do find them.

The least expensive early book is probably Crucifix in a Deathhand, the second book put out by the Webbs. You can get that for a couple hundred dollars on eBay from time to time. Anything earlier is going to set you back considerably more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back